Is Religious the Best Civ Trait ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Religious the Best Civ Trait ?

The more I play, the more religious feels like the almost indispensable civ trait. The cheap temples and cathedrals are nice for preventing culture flipping on your periphery. But can anything beat the flexibility of easy government switching ? I find that significantly expands my options; particularly warfare is so much easier, fun and rewarding.

What do you think ?
    Yes
    30.77%
    No
    69.23%

Religious is the second best trait behind industrious IMHO. There are threads in the strategy archives about that and I tend to agree with them (despite the fact they're old). Truthfully though I find all the traits useful in some way or another (even expanionist can be useful though it's my least favorite).

I used to think religious was at least as good as industrious, but I had a "religious crutch" at the time and would only play religious civs for the same reasons you stated above. But I deliberately stopped using religious all the time and I think I've become a better player for not always using it. Not using it expanded my options to think in different ways.

Comment

I think I may be in a similar bind. For awhile all I played was Aztec, Japan and other religious civs. I have been trying others more recently; that's what prmopted the poll. I have been trying to fight wars in Republic and keep them brief. But at Emporer (at which I am competitive) it is SO hard not being able to switch flexibly. I find routinely at Emporer that the AI attacks me early and/or without warning. Building in peace for awhile seemed to work at Monarch, but at Emporer the wars seem pretty regular. Hence religious becomes a crutch...
      What do you suggest ?

Comment

I find religious to be very nice, and I often play with religious Civs. However, I think of religious as an excellent support to toher traits (such as industrious or militaristic) rather than as an excellent trait by itself. If I had to choose the best trait, I'd go for industrious : the quick development at the beginning of the game can save you many headaches later, including situations that would require a revolution.

Industrious Religious rocks
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I like the religious trait - I can change government just like I change my underwear!

I also like the expansionistic trait for early game play - better things from goody huts...though I also like the industrious trait. To bad I can't play with 3 traits instead of just 2.

I know, I know...GREED - I want more of EVERYTHING!

Comment

I believe religious is the best trait.

With 1 turn anarchy and cheap religious buildings, it is very helpful for any strategy, peaceful or military.

Religious =

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
              I like the religious trait - I can change government just like I change my underwear!
              Ah, see, using the same standard, non-religious civs work for me

I like religious civs, but I tend to use that trait as a crutch. Maybe I should try a game as a civ with no traits, and see how that works out.

I tend to play as Egypt or Iroquios, love the religious. but I love the industrial and expansionist traits. The only trait that I usually avoid is the scientific. Just doesn't do anything for me.

Comment

No, Industrious is better. I now think the other 5 traits are even.

You only need to switch once although more is nice and you only save 30 shields for many cities.

Early on, units are a better investment than temples usually. By the time you need them, you have other options to balance.

As for indispensability, any trait feels like that if you use it often enough. You know I sometimes hate having only a couple of warriors to explore which have to be built and getting barbarians instead of settlers from huts.

Comment

Industrious is the best. Combine that with Religious and you have a very nice combo IMO.
                  For your photo needs:
                  http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Originally posted by Nor Me
                    You know I sometimes hate having only a couple of warriors to explore which have to be built and getting barbarians instead of settlers from huts.
                    Ah, but that's the beauty of an expansionistic civ - a free scout to start off with - and I have as of yet to uncover a barbarian from any goody huts that I find (playing as the Iroquois).
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Expansionistics can't pop barbs from goody huts.

I think Religious is roughly equal to Commercial and Scientific, while superior to Militaristic and inferior to Industrious. Expansionistic really can't be included in the ranking, since it's far more dependent on map conditions than any of the other traits. On huge pangaeas, it's arguably the strongest trait, whereas it can be pretty much nullified if you happen to start on a very small continent.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I agree LC...and even though I like the expansionistic trait, it's only good at the beginning of the game. In later game play, the expansionistic trait is basically wasted.
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Expansionist Religious can be a very potent combo. You acquire the best land very quickly (exploration advantage + culture advantage). WHen you are done with peaceful settlement, you can either conquer with Iroqu's mounted warriors, or with Arab Ansar Warriors. In both cases, they further extend your territory, for you to have a huge, fertile land by mid game.
                          The game is pretty much settled at this point
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Ok, I don't have any problem with religous, but I do not use it.
                            I do not need cheap temples or cath. I like them, but I do not need them.
                            No need to switch gov, so now what is left for this trait?
                            I do one switch to Republic ASAP and leave it at that. I am on an Emperor game now and have been at war for so long, I have lost track. It is no sweat as long as they start the wars, you keep winning it and have luxs.
                            At best the temples will be 15 or more turns on those newly conquered cities and if it takes that long, I don't care if it takes a lot longer.

Commercial or Mil is more useful to me (after Ind of course).

Comment

Industrious is indispensible. Religious is not. At least, for me anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X