No announcement yet.

Is Religious the Best Civ Trait ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to go along with Industrious as being the best. More roads faster means more commerce early. Quicker access to lux and resources. Later, you rail everything fast for more food and production. Ind. helps you pretty much every single turn of the game right from the start.

Religious and Scientific are next in my book. Both provide cheap culture yielding buildings. Commercial is a step down because markets produce no culture and you really don't benefit from the extra commerce until later in the game. In new or captured cities far from your P or FP you still want to always build either a temple or library. You'll never need a marketplace.

Militaristic is next. Barracks are cheap already. The RNG hates me even with Mil. Exp at the bottom.

Comment

That is a good question, but different than what is the second best trait. It could useful to answer both questions. Answering the first may answer the second.

Comment

Just another voice to the chorus of "Industrial!" I think the Industrialists have it, even though I play the other traits as much - for fun and variety.

(typo edited)

Comment

Originally posted by TheArsenal

From what I've read at this (and other) forums, and from my games, most people are. The debate should really be refined to the question: "Which Civ trait compliments Industrious the best?"

hi ,

expan does

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

No banana option?!

No. Industrious is the best.

Comment

I used to think religious is best. The flexibility to change governments at will is definitely convenient. Currently however, I just play Rome and stay in monarchy. Conquer and build, with cities large enough (with Commercial trait) to support the army of my dreams, coupled with ... well, the army of my dreams.

I suppose I should deliberately play an industrious civ again sometime, instead of playing Rome or Random.

Comment

vmxa1, Industrious increases the chance of a settler from hut by replacing all barb results with one of the remaining options. Also, no units lost to barbs from huts increases the amount of terrain you can uncover and the number of huts you can get. There is a reason Exp is highly preferred for MP.

Arrian, I agree Exp can be a gamble, and that is why I have yet to push it for any demo game I have been in. However, in each of those demo games, my team has had to watch an Exp civ get that free settler at an early point and make hay out of it. Oh well, maybe one of these times... (and of course you know, that will be THE time that no settler from hut appears )
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                  vmxa1, Industrious increases the chance of a settler from hut by replacing all barb results with one of the remaining options. Also, no units lost to barbs from huts increases the amount of terrain you can uncover and the number of huts you can get. There is a reason Exp is highly preferred for MP.
                  You mean EXP, I presume. I understand all of that, but it does not mean much to me.
                  Like I said the AI often does not even pop the huts right next to its starting town. I have pop many huts right next to an AI city. What this means is that I do not need to waste a trait on exp. I will get all of th huts in my area anyway. My results may be less than it would with the exp trait, but it is not worth it to me in the long run.
                  MP is another matter altogether.
                  After the huts are done, then what? I have a trait that is not going to do much for me the rest of the game and will surely wish I had something else then.
                  I mean I have used exp civs many time and I can do with out it thanks.

Comment

The best thread in the end is the one that suits you're playing style, simple as that
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

i can never get over how great the 1 turn anarchy is...
                      I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo008
                        hi ,

two and three turns with other traits aint bad either , unfortunatly they dont happen so often , .....

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo008
                          Even better 0 turns by not switching all the time.

Comment

Like I said, I conceded the Religious vs. Industrious argument. I'm convinced.

But I do not think putting Rel as #2 is such a stretch.

It's not just the cheap temples/cathedrals, it's the lack of anarchy.

Production is power, right? Well, you don't get any production when you're in anarchy (4-7 turns?). Even if you only switch governments once, that's nothing to sneeze at!

YMMV depending on settings & playstyle.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1

You mean EXP, I presume. I understand all of that, but it does not mean much to me.
                              Doh! I should stop posting when I'm tired and not feeling so well.

Like I said the AI often does not even pop the huts right next to its starting town. I have pop many huts right next to an AI city. What this means is that I do not need to waste a trait on exp. I will get all of th huts in my area anyway. My results may be less than it would with the exp trait, but it is not worth it to me in the long run.
                              MP is another matter altogether.
                              Agreed, Exp is far more valuable for MP than SP, however...

After the huts are done, then what? I have a trait that is not going to do much for me the rest of the game and will surely wish I had something else then.
                              I mean I have used exp civs many time and I can do with out it thanks.
                              True there. The thing that makes it a gamble is what you get from the haul. If you get a free settler, or 2 (occassionally) at an early point, what you get for the whole rest of the game is the production potential of that free city and all the cities that it spawns. That can be quite a lot, and if it comes at a critcal time to shift the balance of power then...

The tech advantage can also be quite substantial.

Be that as it may, what Arrian said about YMMV is quite correct. There is no single 'this is the best trait', or second best for that matter. It depends on style of play.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X