Can they only create one leader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can they only create one leader?

If a unit generates a leader is it then "not allowed" to generate another? In a recent game I had 5 leaders, all generated by different units, but I had tried to use the previous leader generating unit to make a new leader and it never succeeded. Just wondering if it's bad dice rolls, or if my "Super Dooper Knight Killing Archer" is doomed to never have a "The Second" after his name.
    If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
    Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Re: Can they only create one leader?

Originally posted by mimi
    If a unit generates a leader is it then "not allowed" to generate another? In a recent game I had 5 leaders, all generated by different units, but I had tried to use the previous leader generating unit to make a new leader and it never succeeded. Just wondering if it's bad dice rolls, or if my "Super Dooper Knight Killing Archer" is doomed to never have a "The Second" after his name.
    Once the unit generates a leader it cannot generate another one, which is why the game allows you to rename it, so you can keep track of which ones have generated leaders.

I think it can generate another one after its been upgraded though, not sure on that however.

Comment

Once a unit gets to be "Elite*" after it generates a leader it can't generate another.

BUT if you later upgrade the unit it goes back to being veteran and can again be promoted to Elite and can then create another leader. AFAIK a unit can create a leader, be upgraded, create another leader and so on unitl it can't be upgraded anymore.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

True. If an elite generates a leader, and then later is upgraded, the unit can possibly produce another leader...but remember, the game will only allow you to have one (1) Great Leader active at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
          True. If an elite generates a leader, and then later is upgraded, the unit can possibly produce another leader...but remember, the game will only allow you to have one (1) Great Leader active at one time.
          hi ,

not if you start with several of them , .......

you can start true the editor with as many as you want , .....

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Yes I have made a leader and then upgrade that unit and made another leader several times.
            No need to rename (I do though), as you will have an * in the name anyway.

Comment

AHA! I suppose this was documented somewhere, but, well, I'm not big on reading instructions - that will explain why I never get leaders if I keep attacking with a sucessful leader-generator. And here I thought I was just having bad luck! And to think I packed in a game 'cause I was playing miltaristic civ and only got two leaders in nearly 3 eras - got po'ed and started over as the French 'cause, well, I figured no point in being militaristic and I like pink...
              If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
              Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Comment

The only times I've gotten a leader is when I play militaristic. I'm lucky if I can even get an Elite troop without a militaristic civ. Maybe I'm playing at too high of a level (Emperor).

Comment

I think it is the civ not the level. I have had many leaders at emp and deity with China, but I was playing some AU games at monarch with Cleo and Hammy and would go for 1000's of year without a leader. I actually went over 5700 years in the game before I got a leader in two seperate games.
                  Also it seems to me (not saying it is a fact) that PTW has made it harder to get leaders.
                  My record for pre PTW was 55 leaders and 10 or more was common. Now 5 is good. Of course map sizes and the number of battles has an impact, but still....

Comment

Umm...I have to disagree here and perhaps it's just my luck but I had a horseman unit who generated a leader and did the same 4 turns later. this horseman i named 2nd Cavalry Regiment when he first generated a leader, that leader went off to build Sun Tzu's thingy...4 turns later, that unit did it again...when it brought up the name, i left it as it was...but the name changed to 2nd Cavalry Regiment * (the * wasn't there before)...that leader went off to found an army...sadly the 2nd Cavalry Regiment was lost to a darn Samurai a turn after the second victory. This horseman NEVER lived long enough to be upgraded as i don't bother to research Chivalry.

Until this happend, I had always thought that named units could only produce 1 GL. This has changed my mind.

Comment

If you are trying to say one unit made two leaders without an upgrade in between you are mistaken. That can not happen. Either you had an upgrade in there or you are confused. Sorry that is not anything to disagree about it is a fact.

Comment

I average about 4 leaders in a game (ending long before 2050) if I play non militaristic on a huge map.
                        AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                        Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                        Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Martock got to CFC and look at the FAQ and find the scoop on leaders.
                          CFC is Civfanatics.

Comment

i always hate using a leader for fear of needing him later in the game...
                            I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo008
                              i always hate using a leader for fear of needing him later in the game...
                              Me too, but if you don't use him you won't get another one. One of those Catch-22 situations.

What I hate most is when you get one defensively and then lose him the same turn when that unit gets attacked again. I had that happen twice in the same turn one time (I had cavalry roving into the enemy land to cut saltpeter and luxuries...get attacked, make elite, get attacked, great leader, get attacked, unit dies, great leader dies...twice! )

Comment

Working...
                              X