Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wich name You usually give to your capital city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncmcleod
    If I did have PTW I'd name units obsessively. I'd name every unit, such as the 1st Spearman Regiment or the 3rd Royal Marines. (...)
    I did so the first time I played PtW. But if I don't mind carrying out 30-hours games, I keep thinking that 60 hours are to much...
    M. le Comte

Comment

My Capital is named Atlantis,
      my second City often Hyperborea.

My Leader is either Called Proteus or Custodias.

My own Cities always get Custom Names, usually from some Mythology (for example I often use Asgard, Vanaheim and Valhalla), conquered Cities of other Civs remain under their old name.
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Use a modified list of city names (expanded to approx 125 for the United States) although I can always manage to sneak in a few custom cities like Harrisville, Bomber City or Hesterville it adds a spice to the game.
        * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
        * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
        * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
        * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by M. le Comte

I did so the first time I played PtW. But if I don't mind carrying out 30-hours games, I keep thinking that 60 hours are to much...
          I, as mentioned elsewhere, have found naming each unit to keep the game fun, but with a few caveats:

1. I don't do it until Rep. Parts, Mil. Trad. at the VERY earliest. For some reason, having unnamed spearmen, riflemen or swords doesn't bother me nearly as much (maybe because I'm still at war with the game on the line at that point? )

2. Once I do get RP, I know I have to bite the bullet, gather all my infantry units and name them.

3. It helps to keep the final unit type in mind if your names are going to reflect unit type. For instance, when I start making some cannons before RP, I may go ahead and name them __th Artillery. Same for the mech. infantry path. Any that get named get __th Infantry, so I never have to change it. Learned that one the hard way when I had over 100 MA's via upgrade that all of a sudden needed better names than __th Tank (now all tanks are, of course __th Armor).

Ships are where my naming fixation started, and even if you don't name you ground units, I highly recommend naming the ships for practical benefits (no more guessing which transport to load into in a ship chain; easier to keep track of battleships, etc.)
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I usually use the regular names provided. One game I was feeling creative and named every city after myself. Mitchopolis, Mitch City, Mitchville, etc...there was at least 60 cities, all containing Mitch. It was difficult telling them apart
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Sometimes I name my capital "Nothing to see Here."

Comment

In SP games I usually use the default names for the civ. But in MP I like to be a bit more creative as it's more relaxed to play with people you know and get along with.

My capital is usually Zenophobia in MP. The rest of the cities are named depending on what civ I'm playing, my terrain, and who I'm against.

For example playing a game with some ISDG people, I got Korea (not my pic ) and some of my cities were named:

Funk Seoul Brotha (capital)
                Fuk-Yu City
                World Cup Stadium
                Kranky Koreans
                Won Ton Town

I had a city which was separated by a 1 tile strait from another player, that city was called "Ha Ha! I see You!"

Oh well, enough rambling... just that it's pretty fun to be creative with these things (same as the units)
                A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

I just usually use the defaults, unless I'm playing a Succession Game or MP.

Comment

I usually use the default for the capital, sometimes I name it after my civ's leader (Xeres City) or sometimes I name it after my female celibrity of the week (Ville de Ming-Na).

For the rest I usually exhaust the defaults, but sometimes I change them. If Chengdu is to be built near a bunch of mountains I might name it Mount Chengdu. If Barcelona is on the coast then: Barcelona Beach.

After the defaults I sometimes get wierd; in my last game I started naming cities: Alpha Sector, Gamma Sector, Omega Sector....

Comment

Re: Wich name You usually give to your capital city?

Originally posted by Darth Balrog
                      Hi,

Cities are either named according to whim or function, Westport, Eastport, Gemsville, etc, unless I get real minimalist and name them a, b, c, d....aa, bb, cc...

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it tracks the relative founding order of the cities. Then, when I sort the city list by production or commerce, I see which cities have surpassed each other and the capitol.

And wich name have Your digital alterego?
                      Default name, "nobody". (The other leaders get to talk to nobody.) Default adjective "non-existent" (Wierd messages come up about the non-existent people.) Default title: "Fool" ("We love the Fool day" all over my maps!)

Unless I am playing Cleopatra.
                      If you aren't confused,
                      You don't understand.

Comment

I used to have the capital be default and I'd name the other cities after cities from LOTR such as Minas Tirith, Rivendell, Hobbiton, Bree, Lothlorien, Moria (if it was by a mountain) etc. If I had a city that was about to get captured I named it Isengard or Mount Doom.
                        "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Re: Wich name You usually give to your capital city?

Hi,

Often use my hometown (Lancaster, PA) as capital and suburbs as city names. The familiarity makes it easier to keep track. For ruler name I often use my name followed by a royal number (ie. Vincent I).
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Default. I never change city names. However, once in Civ2 I named a city "I smell ass!" It was hilarious when the advisor-pop-up informed me that "I smell ass!" was in need of a sewage system. Juvenile, I know.
                            "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                            I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                            --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Hi,

I usually play with the Chileans ( ) so my capital city is Santiago de Chile.
                              And my digital alterego is my real name

(not to creative sorry )
                              >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

I often play the French and I my leader name is either Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc ?? Why did Firaxis chose an english name for a French leader ) or Napoléon, and my capital is Paris (and I also edited the cities list to have French names... no more Marseilles or Rheims ).
                                I name my naval units after real French ships or submarines (or in the same "spirit" when all the real names have been used, i.e. all my nuclear submarines names come from jewels like Émeraude, Rubis, etc). When a unit produces a leader, I name it something like #ème DB (it isn't a problem since I almost never get leaders before tanks...), but I don't usually name the other units.

When I play the Germans, my leader name is always SeeSchloss (my nickname almost everywhere else than on Apolyton and Civfanatics), and my capital is Berlin with the others cities from the list, but I manage to build a city named SeeStadt near a lake (and I also edited the names to have Köln instead of Cologne etc).

And I hate having a New Paris etc, so I always use different names after some names that I like in books that I have read, like Arkkande, Æqualis, les Skandes... (no matter the civ I am playing).
                                FRANCE.

Comment

Working...
                                X