Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wich name You usually give to your capital city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i only change the names of captured cities. in my current game im playing as the americans, and i recently had a war with the aztecs. i now have cities named "el paso" "witchita" "tucson" "baton rouge" and "oakland". this gives me a moral victory to know that i am crushing and ruining their aztec spirit!

Comment

If I play as the Chinese, I always name the capital "Xi An" since the first historical capital of China was within that metropolitan area. I never rename leaders unless I can find the appropriate leaderhead to fit the name.
      "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
      but when there has been naming
      we should also know when to stop.
      Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

I've already changed city names in the editor, so whatever civ I am, the capital I put in the editor (Salamanca? That's a Spanish city!) is the name I'll keep. Leaders are different. I always change the leaders, after all, why be Osman, Catherine, or Xerxes? The AI always is. So I'll be Suleiman, Peter, or Cyrus. Or whatever. I generally don't mind that Peter is a female in the picture, anyways. The AI is usually too busy bowing down before me to notice

Comment

i use the defult names as well
          Kermit the frog

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
            The only city name I always change is my capital city. I name my capital city:

Capital City

If you do this in an MP game you could name the capital: "Conquer this City" as well.

Actual this thread belongs into the Community Forum.

I do the capital naming in the same boring style like others. Let the computer come up with a suggestion, or use the name at the according place in the according text file. I mean if I select a certain civ I do it, because of a certain atmosphere that the civ has and one part of this atmosphere are the city names.

-Martin
            Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Good point Martin, but on the same line of thought - wouldn't the big star after the city's name also indicate the same (ie, hey, it's their capital! Take it out!)?

I figure, why sugar-coat it? Just come on out and name it what it really is - The nations capital. Come and get me!
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Recently I've started using modified default names, changing them to match "Kloreep" in some way. So Delhi becomes Delheep, Beijing Klorjing, etc

Comment

This one guy on a thread was telling about how he named cities. If he had a city near Russia (this was before mp of course) he'd name it 'Russians suck' or 'Catherine eats too much'. Or he might have cities like 'Bring it on' or 'You'll never take this city'. If he had a city by a resource that he wanted to keep he'd call it 'There's nothing here' or something like that.
                  "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Washington

Comment

Capital:

Haute Citadelle (High Keep), Palais Impérial (Imperial Palace), Cité Interdite (Forbidden City), [my alter etgo's name] - Ville and so on.

Leaders:

I play dynasties. My leaders were Guillaume I (Guillaume is my firstname), Ephrem I, Ephrem II, Charles I, Charles II... until Charles VI, Karwai I, Francion I, Francion II and Francion III...

I think my next game will be lead by Ephrem III, Karwai II or Guillaume II

Name of the civ.
                      Because it is a dynasty, whichever the civ I play, I am always the leader of the Hiérarques (something like "hierarchs").

Civ3 has been designed for megalomaniacs. I am one of them.
                      M. le Comte

Comment

Oh !

And I also give to my generals the names of some friends of mine.
                        To elite units, I give the name of their victory, like (Great Cavalry of London, or Panzers of Washington, or Riflemen of the Aztecs' montains...).
                        To my other cities, it depends of the mood of the game.
                        M. le Comte

Comment

If I did have PTW I'd name units obsessively. I'd name every unit, such as the 1st Spearman Regiment or the 3rd Royal Marines. I'd also name them after where they were built such as the Royal Leeds Rifles or the 19th Seattle Volunteers or the Manchester Highlanders Regiment. I'd give all ship names a prefix depending on the civ and its government ie if I was in a monarchy it'd be HMS or if I was in a democracy it might be the ZFS (Zulu Federal Ship) Mpondo. I'd name carriers after leaders, battleships after cities, submarines after mythological figures (titan, valkyrie, dragon, etc.) AEGIS Cruisers after famous battles, I don't know what I'd name transports, destroyers things like Dauntless or Perseverance or Alacrity and ships before that I'd name after animals. Of course if the ship ugrades I won't name it because it wouldn't be realistic.
                          "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

For the capital, most of the time, I go for default, although from time to time I'll name it "Arsenal City". On a huge map, very recently I have begun naming the city with the Forbidden Palace, "Forbidden City" to readily see where it is, and how and if I want to make palace moves.
                            "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Re: Wich name You usually give to your capital city?

Originally posted by Darth Balrog
                              Hi,

Wich name You usually give to your capital city?
                              Deal-A-Meal.

And wich name have Your digital alterego?
                              Richard Simmons.

Comment

I usually stick with the defaults. But whenever I capture an enemy city, I usually put 'Fort' in front of the city name.

Comment

Working...
                                X