No announcement yet.

Civ-PtW eating up computer resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I increased my Virtual Paging File (W 2000) and it works much smoother now.
    Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

it slow of the size of ptw

Comment

There's more factors than just game size/ system spec. If you end up with spyware on your system for instance it can slow down significantly, not just in Civ but across the board. Also theres factors like type of RAM to interfere (theres fast stuff n slow stuff), and motherboards (these make a huge difference - theres no point having a gig of ram and a 3Ghz processor if the motherboard is the cheapest the manufacturers could get their hands on).

My systems an 1.2 Ghz processor, 256mb, and I dont encounter excessive lag times until I use huge maps with 10+ civ's.
        "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

i play in 360x360 map.and with 20 civ in it.

Comment

Originally posted by spy14
            Also theres factors like type of RAM to interfere (theres fast stuff n slow stuff), and motherboards (these make a huge difference - theres no point having a gig of ram and a 3Ghz processor if the motherboard is the cheapest the manufacturers could get their hands on).
            You are tring to be funny here right? Hyperthreading cpu's do not have any bad motherboards or slow memory. You just to not have that many options at this point when going with 3.06GH processor.
            Just how slow can a 1GB memory be? Mine runs Civ on 250x250 maps at about twice the speed of my 1.7GH system.

Comment

Originally posted by spy14

My systems an 1.2 Ghz processor, 256mb, and I dont encounter excessive lag times until I use huge maps with 10+ civ's.
              If you want to see what a test of you systems is let me know and I will email you a save (1.2MB) of the AU402 game. I played this game to see how much of a load it could be. I tried to let all civs survive. My guess is a long turn will take about an hour on your system. Most will take at least 20 minutes. Only turns with little or no war will be quick.

The worse turns took 25 minutes on my 3.06 (1GB), more than 50 minutes on 1.7GH (512MB). So I would expect 256MB system will be pressed to the wall.

Comment

Working...
              X