Gandhi's vow of poverty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gandhi's vow of poverty

When conducting diplomacy with India, it is very hard to trade with them. Why? Because they usually have 0 gold in their treasury! It's like Gandhi took a vow of poverty! Has anyone else noticed this? In my last game, they actually had 1 gold piece, and I was shocked! But in my experience, the Indians are always the poorest civ. Comments?
    My words are backed by... Hey! Who stole my uranium??!!!

What level do you play at?

Comment

Interesting, I doubt it's intentional though.
      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

If it was Spain it was intentional, but I'm not sure about India

The fact that they are commercial should give them some cash
        Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

But it could be intentional because of the state of India today in modern times. And why would Spain be intentionally poor. They were quite rich when the Arabs were in power.

Comment

Spain is flagged with the AI strategy of never building wealth

This means they won't build banks (they'll build markets because they can build trade, though)

Not sure why they did it, but it was intentional

Comment

I did not notice this. Have the rules changed for India since PTW? I do not think. I was just playing a standard Civ3 (not PTW) game and had no problem to sell techs to India (around 150gpt for one tech). Have you tried a GTP trade? May be they simply do not have cash but still earn lots of money.
              Nym
              "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

It could be that they keep on trading there gold. So try and use a GPT trade and see if it works. That should give us more info.

Comment

Well, in some of my latest games, India is very wealthy indeed...until I sell them my luxuries...
                  Empire growing,
                  Pleasures flowing,
                  Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

hi ,

can you attach a save , .....

this is not always the case , in some games they have plenty of money

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I have noticed several civs don't have enough money to bother trading with wheneve I am in the mood. 0 gold in the treasury doesn't seem to be limited to India.

However, whenever I play India, I simulate Gandhi's vow of poverty by never accepting palace builds. I just close the window whenever they offer it and keep living in the same undeveloped hovel. Thus, I maintain my humility whilst teaching the world the value of pacifism. Tanks work really well at teaching the value of pacifism, as do cavalry and modern armor. There's nothing like being rich and powerful to support your insistence on being humble throughout the ages. After a while, when all the world is India, there is no more conflict and pacifism reigns supreme. It warms my humble peace-mongering heart.
                      If you aren't confused,
                      You don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XXIV
                        Spain is flagged with the AI strategy of never building wealth

This means they won't build banks (they'll build markets because they can build trade, though)

Not sure why they did it, but it was intentional
                        It was a bug in the design documentation, not the code. When it was pointed out, they promptly fixed it (changed to often build wealth) in the first patch for PTW.

Catt

Comment

Ah, that makes sense

Comment

Spain is pretty rich in my current game. The pay me 240GPT for a tech.

Comment

There are usually one or two civs who are a bit behind in tech and spending all they can raise to try to keep up so they rarely have much gold as a lump sum or gpt to trade with the human. The Ai tends to either do rather well or fairly poorly with India so unless they are a tech leader in a particular game they are usually spending all their cash to buy techs from other AI civs.
                              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                              X