No announcement yet.

Ocean ROP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea ROP, excelent idea. Air ROP also, but in CIV4 (if there is any...). I always wished there was an air transport unit which could move your tanks or at least artilery around.

Comment

On land, ROP agreements serve two purposes. (1) They allow civs to benefit from each other's roads and railroads. (2) They mean a civ won't demand that you leave or declare war if you end a turn in their borders.

Neither of these is an issue on the water. Ships move just as quickly within someone else's borders without a ROP as they do with one, and while civs will ask you to leave if your ships end up in their territory, the "remove your forces or declare war" option does not exist with regard to ships. As best I can figure it, AIs are perfectly willing to ignore territorial sovereignty where water tiles are concerned, and they don't make a big fuss if humans behave similarly.

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
        "... Ships move just as quickly within someone else's borders without a ROP as they do with one, and while civs will ask you to leave if your ships end up in their territory, the "remove your forces or declare war" option does not exist with regard to ships. As best I can figure it, AIs are perfectly willing to ignore territorial sovereignty where water tiles are concerned, and they don't make a big fuss if humans behave similarly."
        Nathan
        I find this to be true. The AI will ask you to leave, but if you say "sure" and continue moving through their waters, you may not hear from them again, or not for quite some time. And it doesn't really seem to harm attitude relations. IIRC, the AI does seem a bit touchier when you have multiple ships or ships loaded with units.
        "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
          On land, ROP agreements serve two purposes. (1) They allow civs to benefit from each other's roads and railroads. (2) They mean a civ won't demand that you leave or declare war if you end a turn in their borders.

Neither of these is an issue on the water. Ships move just as quickly within someone else's borders without a ROP as they do with one, and while civs will ask you to leave if your ships end up in their territory, the "remove your forces or declare war" option does not exist with regard to ships. As best I can figure it, AIs are perfectly willing to ignore territorial sovereignty where water tiles are concerned, and they don't make a big fuss if humans behave similarly.

Nathan
          I find this true also. I don't believe that a seperate general RoP for sea tiles would add much. Perhaps we should call it a Right of transit recognized at navigational chockpoints only and give it a 5 turm limit. This would preserve territorial security in some sensitive coastal areas while accomidating a culture that you do not want to extend a general RoP to.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
          X