Ocean ROP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean ROP

I don't know if this has been discussed before but as I was trying to explore the world in my current game, I thought it might be useful to have two types of right of passage agreements- one for land and one for sea. Maybe the next expansion could have this. Any thoughts?

great idea..

easy to implement....

if the new editor is REALLY powerful in conquests we might even do it ourselves

cheers

Comment

Good idea.
      If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Good idea. Although I've found the AI usually acts as if it has one with you anyway, at least before Navigation/Magnetism.

Comment

I thought sea and land you control were already considered the same way for ROP: when there is no ROP you are not authorized to go through the sea controlled by the AI.
          Or do you mean you want to control land and sea ROP separately? If so, yes, it is a good idea.
          Nym
          "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

You could even have land,sea and air
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
              You could even have land,sea and air
              Air ROP. Good idea too
              Nym
              "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Air ROP... Why??????

Bomber, Fighter dont really fly over things... you just pick a zone to bombard and your bomber drop the bombs where you click...
                Your bomber ic Civ3 dont fly like in Civ2... it got to be in a city or a AirPort... And when you "rebase" in a new city, your aircraft dont care about any distance or what is between the "source city" and the "destination city"...

But if the Air ROP can make you give the right to make AirPort in another Civilization, this can be a good thing...

I can't wait to see if Conquest got new option in the editor?
                Anyone know if there a chat soon fixed with firaxis?

thanks and see ya
                Last edited by CrONoS; May 28, 2003, 13:57.
                bleh

Comment

For helicopters maybe
                  Nym

Comment

rop isnt only mad in see

itis mad in land two

hance rops
                    time wil tel soonr or latar time wil tell
                    http://education.makemeheal.com/imag...Gary_busey.jpg

Comment

Sea ROPs would be of very limited use, namely pre-navigation sea exploration. While it would be enjoyable in the early game, it would become completely useless in the later game (where boats can fare outside of the Civ's territory).

Personally, to avoid the "trireme in foreign borders" syndrome, I've edited my game for Triremes to have four moves, and other ships to have many more.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I just ignore the warnings the AI gives me for ship encroachments as it very rarely causes war (and they rarely encroach from sea).
                        Seemingly Benign
                        Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

rop isnt only mad in see

itis mad in land two

hance rops
                          Ottok got a DL!
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I don't see any added utility to having a land RoP and a sea RoP. The current situation mirrors the real world pretty well IMHO. Ancient civs may claim sea territory but have little ability to enforce it. The AI mirrors this when it tells you to leave, you ignore it, and nothing happens. As a Civ matures, I can see things like trading a RoP at navigational checkpoints for some type of consideration, but beyond that I believe that a general RoP should suffice.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003
                              I can see things like trading a RoP at navigational checkpoints for some type of consideration
                              I think it is the main idea behind the sea ROP concept.
                              Nym

Comment

Working...
                              X