No announcement yet.

GS FA thread 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was actually surprised that we didn't have an embassy with GS yet - after all, they are our closest opponent. But I did overstep my boundries and for that I'm sorry. Just make sure we build that embassy on this turn. This mistake will not happen again.

Comment

• N/P Witt. I will build the embassy this turn. My only concern is whether it will make them suspicious, but one turn is not going to make that much of a difference. Besides, there should be some distractions from GoW to cover our tracks.

I think you were getting close to the edge ethically on this one. But we will follow-through with the embassy, so no harm done.

And the info is very useful. Not sure why this didn't occur to us sooner. I suspected it was farly close from the border we saw way back when. We only had one or two cities - so GS was probably the same. Which mean their capital had to be close. And their largest cities should be around there as well.
      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• If GS comments on us building an embassy with them, we can always state that we're pursuing closer ties with all players.

Comment

• Yes - especially in difficult times like these.
          Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• BTW - I remembered that GS (nbarclay) had given us a description of the geography of South Estonia. I pulled it from the old FA thread. It will be interesting to see how much of it holds true.

In regard to your interest in the geography of South Estonia, Tim is on the north end of what we call the Spinebreaker Mountains and Willy has entered what we call the Desert of Tears. Waters from the Spinebreaker Mountains come together to form a river we call the Flood of Tears, which borders the western edge of the desert. (By the way, we may someday be able to arrange an irrigation project to your lands if you are completely without fresh water for irrigation. Of course the scale of such a project is far beyond what would be practical until our nations are larger and more prosperous.)

South of the desert is a band of plains generally two tiles from north to south. Eye of the Storm is founded as the River of Tears enters this band, and has the mixed blessing of access to flood plains that may help it grow or die as the Generator of Fortune sees fit. Our second city, Hurricane, overlaps our capital next to where the river empties into the ocean. South of the plains, as the land narrows toward its southern tip, we have a region of grassland small enough that a single city could cover more than two thirds of it (although good use of coast can stretch its use farther).

On the western side of the continent, Tim has seen essentially all of the grasslands and forests that the area he is in has to offer. The rest is almost all hills, mountains, and a coastal desert, until a few tiles south of Willy’s latitude where the strip of plains reaches that coast. At its widest, the land stretches less than a tile west of what Tim has seen, and the land narrows to the south before reaching the band of plains.

We hope your cartographers can make good use of this description in developing at least a rough sketch of South Estonia. It is only too bad they do not yet have the skill to develop true maps.

Comment

• Nice find Beta... I will try to do a map based on those indications... We'll then compare with the actual land we're about to uncover.
              Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

• Beta007 has been busy again - and I have a direct quote from DeepO of GS from a recent - ie today - chat with another team.

The intel also indicates that 6 or 8 turns to feudalism - 4 if they rushed. It says they are using break-even cash flow to research it.

But the interesting piece is the start:

[16:02] DeepO: well, anyway, it's always a case of portaying to be ready, more then being ready
                [16:02] DeepO: which is why, from time to time, we mention Theseus and Arrian in dipllo conversation, it keeps us safe
                [16:03] DeepO: all this can only start the moment war breaks out at Bob
                [16:03] man with cigarette: yes
                [16:03] DeepO: and this will be soon
                [16:03] DeepO: as either Vox wil create some truble very soon
                [16:03] DeepO: or we simply need to wait for riders
                [16:03] DeepO: we have a reasonable assurance from teams that that moment will get decisive
                [16:03] man with cigarette: how far are you from Feu.
                [16:04] DeepO: we hope GoW wins...
                [16:04] DeepO: well, it depends
                [16:04] DeepO: right now, I thought we had 8 turns left, if we don't want to lose any cash in the progress
                [16:04] DeepO: (could be 6 in the mean time, I'm a few turns behind on info)
                [16:05] DeepO: but, there were more then one voice asking to speed it up
                [16:05] DeepO: if we can get (part of) the cost of this elsewhere
                [16:05] DeepO: If we wold really go for it, we should finish in 4 turns or so
                [16:05] DeepO: ... yes republic does marvelous things to your commerce

This tape will self-destruct in 4-3-2-1 poooooff!!!

.... Beta007

Edit by Trip: Names added.
                Last edited by Jon Shafer; April 6, 2003, 23:16.

Comment

• OK - Eli or Trip - do your magic with the names. Please. Thanks.

Basically -- it is all DeepO speaking. There is a man with a cigarette across the room - and he has two lines : the "yes", and "how far are you from feu".
                  Last edited by Beta; April 6, 2003, 22:22.

Comment

• embassy

can we get a screenshot of "Eye of the Storm" when it happens?
                    Arg-ha Lardgoa

Comment

• argha - definitely. And sorry - I sent around the game save - but don't have you on my mailing list. Will rectify that next turn. My apologies.

Comment

• Originally posted by BetaHound
                        OK - Eli or Trip - do your magic with the names. Please. Thanks.

Basically -- it is all DeepO speaking. There is a man with a cigarette across the room - and he has two lines : the "yes", and "how far are you from feu".
                        Done.

Comment

• Response
                          Honorable BetaHound,

Please accept my apology for not replying earlier- RL has been plauging me, and there were many issues to be discussed on the board. I'm sorry that i have no concrete response to your offer. The issue is currently discussed with high priority, as we understand your urgency. I hope i can give you a reply in 12 hours or so.

Once again, i apologize

Zeit, Chief Diplomat of the Gathering Storm.

Comment

• SO we have an embassy. then we should be able to tell what there research rate is.
                            "Do not honour the worthy, And the people will not compete. Do not value rare treasures, And people will not steal. Do not display what people want, And the people will not have their hearts confused. A sage governs this way: He empties peoples minds and fills their bellies. He weakens their wills and strengthens their bone. Keep the people always without knowledge and without desires, For then the clever will not dare act. Engage in no action and order will prevail."-Loazi "The Classic of The Way and Its Powers"

Comment

• Originally posted by BetaHound
                              Response
                              Honorable BetaHound,

Please accept ........
                              .....Zeit, Chief Diplomat of the Gathering Storm.
                              I wonder how 'honorable' any of us will be considered in a few turns.

Comment

• Received from zeit. I am now going to offer them our world map for a flat 100 gold - and leave feudalism out of it. But the deal has to occur this turn or the next. We can still accept a deal before we declare war.

Map offer and other issues
                                BetaHound,

I'm once again sorry for the delay. I'll be brief about this, as i have to get myself prepared to a 20 days trip to the US(!). Nathan will most likely replace me, but i'm not sure about it yet. I'll let you know about this tommorow.

About the map offer: we are currently abit low on cash, as we need it for rushing projects in our cities and for greater investment in research (we're a republic, after all), so i offer you another deal, for a worldmap trade:

We offer you a trade of Feudalism for the world map- since you have tagged the map as worth 160 gold, and we have tagged ours 200 gold (less than 30% the beaker cost), what we're actually offering is a 20% discount. Feudalism will be most important for you in your efforts to defend any cities you might have on Bob- and will also deter would-be attackers.

As for the part about advising you with your moves on Bob- we fear this might hurt the spirit of the game, if we have direct influence on your specific decisions such as where to attack and the like, but if you're looking for something general, like the last correspondences between us which included sharing our insights on the politics on Bob and RP role in this, it could be possible. I'll let you discuss this more thoroughly with whoever i find to replaces me in the next 20 days. Like i said- i'll tell you about it tommorow.

Hoping to hear from you soon
                                Kind Regards
                                Zeit.

Comment

Working...
                                X