No announcement yet.

GS FA thread 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot to mention - they do not have a large military. Theseus and Arrian are restless.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

How would their research go up with them loosing cities?

With their current research rate, I would estimate that they are cranking the maximum rate that they can manage. If they started loosing cities, GS's research rate will feel the effect.

Can you explain your line of thought argha? If I'm taking your reasoning correctly, then if they (GS) only have one city left, their research would be fantastic. How can this be so?

Comment

Originally posted by BetaHound
        Forgot to mention - they do not have a large military. Theseus and Arrian are restless.
        I bet they are - reminds me of how I was feeling about 6 turns ago concerning our (then) military power.

Comment

Sorry argha, just closely reread your post - We're on the same sheet of music.

Comment

I haven't done anything with thi syet, sorry, been busy

once I finish this assignment I will have breathing room (will work on it all night tonight)

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Witt - reading your comment and then glancing at my post I thought I had made a mistake in what I meant to say.
              Arg-ha Lardgoa

Comment

This intel regarding the research rate goes along with what I was thinking about last night. It seemed like they were researching about 50% faster than us. Since they went Republic that would increase by another 40% or so giving them over twice the research rate we have (1.50 x 1.40 = 2.10). Now I wish we didn't give them Monotheism. Chivalry is a cheap tech. In about 20 turns they could produce knights. I believe the intel and their feeling of safety.

Comment

If we get to their soucre of Iron it wn't matter what they have researched. It would be a huge help if we could get GOW to use their horsemen to land behind their lines and cut their source. would be better than having them attack the warrior.
                  "Do not honour the worthy, And the people will not compete. Do not value rare treasures, And people will not steal. Do not display what people want, And the people will not have their hearts confused. A sage governs this way: He empties peoples minds and fills their bellies. He weakens their wills and strengthens their bone. Keep the people always without knowledge and without desires, For then the clever will not dare act. Engage in no action and order will prevail."-Loazi "The Classic of The Way and Its Powers"

Comment

Harry - if we didn't give them monotheism, they would have gotten it from someone we did sell it to. And they would then have a definite sense that something was up.

Macy - I agree regardiing the iron source. That is what I will discuss with Ghengis - and what I think we should be using our galley for as well.
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• I was thinking of ways to get more money out of GS. What do you think of this? We ask for a trade - to finance our next campaign on Bob. Jon - you should probably handle this. But we can offer/ask for either:

1. 200 gold from them in exchange for the map of Bob, plus we repay 120 gold in 20 turns.

or

2. 160 gold for the map of Bob.

Tell them that we paid much more than that for it, and all we are trying to do is recoup some of our costs. But that it was critical for us to have it for our upcoming campaign. It is current as of 4 turns ago. Don't reveal our source.

Jon - you should also request if we can consult with some of their strategy experts - and if they agree - as Shiber hinted they would - I will send the letter in the next post.

(btw - we will need to clear with Lego that it is OK to sell the map. I suspect this will be OK.)

Comment

• My suggested letter which would go soon after Jon's request.

DeepO, Theseus, et al.

First - thank-you from Vox for taking the time to help us with advice on our upcoming Bob 2 mission, Operation MacArthur. ("People of Wittlich West, I will return.")

We learned a few things from our first excursion. One - don't under-estimate their reaction time. Two - take sufficient force to back your words. And three - claim the best defensive terrain quickly.

Here is our plan. The NE corner of Bob is rectangular in shape - if you can envison a line of NS running hills - 5 tiles - and EW running hills - 4 tiles - meeting to form an "L" - the one tile being common to both. To the NE of the "L" is plains, and on that plain is Wittlich West - now named Desolation Point by GoW.

Our intent is to land in force - 7 Immortals and 9 Spearmen. We will use two galleys and can have everyone across very quickly. We will bypass the city - and take up two positions on the hills, with a mixture of Immortals and Spearmen in each. The intent is to let the Bobians come to us - the spearmen, entrenched on a hill should be able to soak up the GoW horsemen attack, with Immortals taking out the remainder. On the NeuD front - the southern hills - we will have 4 of the Immortals. The last force to move against us from NeuD was 5 swordsmen. Our assessment is that as the swordsmen close for battle, the immortals cut them up - leaving the last enemy in the stack alive to avoid exposing an Immortal on the plain needlessly - unless of course, no one else is in sight. If NeuD does bring horsemen, spearmen would be able to fulfil the same 'soaking' role as with GoW.

Settlers build cities on these sites - with walls being the first priority. The existing city will likely then be taken by cultural conversion, or we can negotiate a sale depending how the diplomatic situation unfolds, or we take it by force.

We expect the initial NeuD and GoW reaction to be similar as last time. We don't know if they will be willing to commit to a longer term war of attrition if we can convince them of our limited goals of 4 or 5 cities on Bob, and prove that it will be costly to kick us out. We are also counting somewhat on tensions between RolePlay and their neighbours to hopefully prevent the kind of united front we met last time - and maybe make GoW and NeuD reconsider the prospects of a two-front war.

We will continue to commit reserves to Bob, and given the supremacy of defence over offence, we expect the beach-head will hold quite well.

Any thoughts from either a military or diplomatic angle would be appreciated, but we really would like input on the military planning side of things.

Thank-you in advance for your help. Guess that's what neighbours are for. And, wish us luck.

..... BetaHound

( )

Comment

• Beta wrote:
                          Harry - if we didn't give them monotheism, they would have gotten it from someone we did sell it to. And they would then have a definite sense that something was up.
                          True. What I should have said is that I wish they didn't have it.

mj wrote:
                          If we get to their soucre of Iron it wn't matter what they have researched. It would be a huge help if we could get GOW to use their horsemen to land behind their lines and cut their source. would be better than having them attack the warrior.
                          Without knowing where the iron is it would be hard for GoW to do anything about it. Even if we knew where it is any horsemen they land behind GS lines will be sitting ducks if there are any chariots around. A defense of 1 will not last and they can not move or pillage on the turn they land. Even if they manage to pillage the iron it will only take a few turns for GS to get a couple of workers to reconnect it. I was thinking more of the long term. If we take the city that has the iron GS could end up without iron for the rest of the war.

Beta, selling the map and asking GS strategy experts for help is a great idea.

Comment

• Our assessment is that as the swordsmen close for battle, the immortals cut them up - leaving the last enemy in the stack alive to avoid exposing an Immortal on the plain needlessly - unless of course, no one else is in sight.
                            I am not sure I would give them this. We don't want to give them too much information about how we would attack. One thing I have been thinking about is along the same lines but with the addition of a catapult or two. Cut down all but one unit and then use the catapults against that unit so he is not healthy enough to do much damage attacking us.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarryH

I am not sure I would give them this. We don't want to give them too much information about how we would attack. One thing I have been thinking about is along the same lines but with the addition of a catapult or two. Cut down all but one unit and then use the catapults against that unit so he is not healthy enough to do much damage attacking us.
                              Understood. Good point and great idea. Will modify.

Comment

• I agree with Harry we should be as vague as possible with naming units esp. our more elite units and numbers, its prob. ok to say warriors who does not have warriors?
                                Arg-ha Lardgoa

Comment

Working...
                                X