Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we leave that city unprotected for like 10 turns? And the 2 workers it is going to produce during this time? Isn't that a bit risky?

Or am I mistaken and Merco Polo will be there, before I can say... uhm... barbarian?
    Care for some gopher?

Did you know that in GalCiv, the AI makes you think you are playing against humans? Stop laughing, they mean it!!!

Comment

So we leave that city unprotected for like 10 turns? And the 2 workers it is going to produce during this time? Isn't that a bit risky?
      Hmm you may have a point there, as it will be at least 10 turns (maybe as high as 12 turns) before the merco polo would reach Farmerville.

Maybe we should send one of the northern mercs down to Farmerville as we really can't afford to lose it. Or would we lose it? or just lose money instead? (keep confusing those civ 2 vs civ 3 rules grrr)

Comment

We won't lose the city. The problem is the worker if barbs. appeared in the area. We should move one of the northern mercs, I think, if the warrior (Conan?)keeps wondering E, SE.
        "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
        --George Bernard Shaw
        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
        --Woody Allen

Comment

As mentioned in the Discussion to the Chronicle thread, I believe delmar has a point. Merciless should be able to take care of any threats originating from the North, plus Legopolis shall field a new Merc in four turns. This makes MercG sort of "expendable" as far as Jackson defenses go, so we might start moving him to the Farmerville area immediately.

Comment

Hello everyone. This is the new Military Architect speaking

This thread is re-opened.

Any suggestions to our military strategy are wellcome.

It is understandable that our first priority, especially given the fact that we are alone on a continent, is REXing. However, it shouldn't be done without proper defence. I suggest that once we have built a few more settlers/cities, one of our cities to build baracks, for the purpose of training veteran mercenaries and archers (or whatever will be available then).

Once we settled our continent, what do you think that should be the number of our defenders/city respectively attackers (preferably mounted units) / city?
            I would go for an average 2 defenders and 1 attacker per city, obviously more if war is likely to happen. As for bombardment units, maybe a few catapults if we fear an invasion, more cannons later and a lots of artilleries in the end, but this is too far away.

This is for now. Like I said, comments/critics are wellcome.
            "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
            --George Bernard Shaw
            A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
            --Woody Allen

Comment

Since we are Carthaginians, I'm completely against building archers. They'll have no use whatsoever, as we'll find our rivals much later (when we'll have at least Iron working handy, and more probably when we'll have chivalry)

I don't think we need a really serious defense right now : the only threat - Barbarians- is harmless against mere warriors.

I'd suggest most of our force to be made of warriors, so that we have more shields to build our settlers / workers.

Once we finish our REX, we should specialize one or two cities in unit building. Until then, I say warriors all the way !
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                Since we are Carthaginians, I'm completely against building archers. They'll have no use whatsoever, as we'll find our rivals much later (when we'll have at least Iron working handy, and more probably when we'll have chivalry)
                They are not useless. They are just as good attacking as a Mercenary, but they are much cheaper. There's no need to waiste mercenaries for attack purposes (if that was the case, that is).

Besides, I said we should build offensive units after we will have built more cities and not necesarily archers, but whatever will be available then (swordsmen, horsemen, knigths, etc).

I don't think we need a really serious defense right now : the only threat - Barbarians- is harmless against mere warriors.

I'd suggest most of our force to be made of warriors, so that we have more shields to build our settlers / workers.

Once we finish our REX, we should specialize one or two cities in unit building. Until then, I say warriors all the way !
                I'm against this strategy. First of all, our cities doesn't even grow so fast to build warrior+settler pairs. Cities that grow fast and doesn't have production (like Farmerville) will build only settlers. Next, the mercenaries we can build are very good defensive units and will be available for a long time. I'm completely against waisting our production on useless warriors.
                --George Bernard Shaw
                --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius
                  They are not useless. They are just as good attacking as a Mercenary, but they are much cheaper. There's no need to waiste mercenaries for attack purposes (if that was the case, that is).

Besides, I said we should build offensive units after we will have built more cities and not necesarily archers, but whatever will be available then (swordsmen, horsemen, knigths, etc).
                  Tibi is right about archers not being completely useless... now. They will become obsolete with Horsemen and/or Swordsmen. I would lean toward centering our defenses around Mercs with a fast response force composed of about 75% mobile units and 25% high punch units like Swordsmen.

EDIT: to avoid misunderstanding, I do not think we need to build any archers right now. Just pointing out they are not that useless. However, until we get Horse Riding and/or Iron Working, I would focus on building the great Mercs.

I'm against this strategy. First of all, our cities doesn't even grow so fast to build warrior+settler pairs. Cities that grow fast and doesn't have production (like Farmerville) will build only settlers. Next, the mercenaries we can build are very good defensive units and will be available for a long time. I'm completely against waisting our production on useless warriors.
                  And I am with Tibi on this one. It is a public secret that I dislike the 1/1/1 suckers anyway... The main problem hindering our REX is not the need to build defenders, it is the (relatively) slow pop growth. Even with building Merc+Settler pairs, we will be draining our cities' population a lot.

Besides, considering the upgrade chain, warriors would suggest an offensive army build-up, while Mercs lead to a defense-oriented army. And with all that wonderful land around us, I assume we aim for a primarily defensive army.

Plus, the Mercs will last and be useful for quite some time, at least until knights (and with terrain and fortification bonuses, they may put up a good fight even against knights). Warriors, OTOH, would have to be upgraded at the earliest possibility, since they are pretty much useless against anything but barbarians.
                  Last edited by vondrack; February 3, 2003, 04:26.

Comment

While Angus is venturing deeply in the newly discovered territory, shouldn't we secure the passage? We don't know for sure how big that land is or that there are no civs beyond the ishtmus.

In 3 turns Panama is finishing its mercenary and when it will be ready, we could move Howard from Panama into a blocking position (actually on the mountain, just beyond the ishtmus, and if somebody approaches, back one tile).
                    --George Bernard Shaw
                    --Woody Allen

Comment

While Angus is venturing deeply in the newly discovered territory, shouldn't we secure the passage? We don't know for sure how big that land is or that there are no civs beyond the ishtmus.

In 3 turns Panama is finishing its mercenary and when it will be ready, we could move Howard from Panama into a blocking position (actually on the mountain, just beyond the ishtmus, and if somebody approaches, back one tile).
                      Well, I would rather leave Howard in Panama (after all, he is already an elderly gentleman... ), sending the new Merc (what about calling him Mercedes? ) to the isthmus, 'cause if there was anyone coming, a mere warrior would be no guarantee the intruder would not pass through using brute force... unlike the Merc that would most probably be able to hold his ground against anything that could possibly come from the unknown. As far as handling barbarian raids and unhappiness, Howard will do in Panama...

Comment

Good enough for me. Let's do it.
                        --George Bernard Shaw
                        --Woody Allen

Comment

This thread is going to be very boring for couple of centuries, mostly because of operation Double Edge.

If I think a little bit, we are builders so it is better to have this thread boring
                          --George Bernard Shaw
                          --Woody Allen

Comment

Yeah, most of our military will be helping at the constructions sites....

However, Tibi... I am getting a bit clueless regarding the southern explorers. What shall we do with them once the charting is over? Where to position them? I know I could whip myself to come with some sort of a plan up, but I am getting a bit tired of all this planning. Besides, there is my brilliant Military Architect...

Comment

OK, I'll think about it. Nothing better to do, anyway.

Not much of activity here, while too much of activity at the intersite forum I'm looking forward to have things cleared up a bit. Right now things are just too confusing for somebody who doesn't spend all of his day on the net

You're an organizing genius, Radek (seriously)
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

I would be nice to position the 2 warriors as lookouts. Mostly, they will be looking for Barbarian activity, but also for other civs making landings.

We can fortify them in a mountain and just keep an eye on them.

Comment

Working...
                                X