No announcement yet.

Turn 242: 1260 AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case they go for our chain, do we chase them, or go for the cities first? Our bombardment is not that good with our DDs (it's a welcome extra, of course), we could chase the BBs, and let the M handle the cities alone. They can't run: every BB that attacks hub 2, will remain in range for our DDs. Otherwise, next turn our DDs will be toast anyway, as we can't really hide from them either (although there might be a possibility to keep us just out of range under protection of the coast)

DeepO

Comment

They also have to consider GoW and maybe even ND and a token from RP. So they may not be in a position to focus on us exclusively.

But, I would agree that holding back the DD's would just be to lose them without return.

Comment

If we end the turn right next to the coast, we would be safe from counter attack, but it holds a few problems. In case that piece of coast falls (we are bound to lose cities in the counterattack, as we don't have the defenders with us to keep all we can conquer), we would be open for art fire. If that happens, our DDs won't do us any good, they might not be damaged by BB, but can't return to full health evading the stack.

But, more importantly: Lego could continue towards Stormia, attacking hub 1 the turn after. Undisturbed, as we've got nothing on that side to counter them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but either those BBs attack us, and we try to clean up whatever is left (most of those would be damaged to 1/4 or 2/4), or we should go for them. We've successfully evaded them long enough, time for a tactic change.

And RP is one of the reasons we have to do this: they are coming unprotected. If they encounter that BB stack, literally all their forces would be destroyed, they wouldn't have a single unit left.

DeepO

Comment

One more thing: we've got 1 TR ready to chain, but nothing more. In case the chain survives, it has to move back in turn 244, and can only be used again in 245. Or, we need another TR built in Hurricane in 244. We can do that, (MI is to finish there in 244 which can be switched easily), but wouldn't it be better if we reinforce Stormia for 1 turn? Of the 200 troops we have, 160 are, or will be in transport to Lego. 8 more defenders could really help at home.

Oh, of course, in case we see next turn in the battle report that hub 2 was destroyed, there is no need for further M. After EotS completes its build, we can switch all builds to defenders. MI / tanks if possible (not sure how the rubber situation is going to work out), infs / bombers otherwise.

DeepO

Comment

If I were Lego I would blockade Quanto's Harbor (building a ship or two to add if possible, and bringing in the Subs too).

Draft in Sand and Tip (maybe Abilene or Dye... whichever is less useful). Disband Sand and Tip (maybe Abilene or Dye). Expose our spy.

That leaves 5 (4) cities to defend.
            93 Infantry
            32 Tanks
            25 Cavalry
            4 Horsemen

Put 21 Inf in each of the 3 cities our side. 15 Inf in each of the 2 cities on GoW's side. Spread the Tanks out amongst those cities. Seed more Tanks with the Cavalry and Horsemen.

They probably know if ND and RP have Marines or not so can concentrate on us and GoW entirely.

If they disband and blockade we probably can't punch through with our Marines and run a risk we couldn't even get into Quanto. Let's hope they do something else.

Otherwise I think we have to land on Quanto 21. It's a hill, fortress, and both our fleets can land units there. While we give up the rolling invasion, we don't lose so many Marines. With GoW landing too, I think it's a lost cause for Lego either way, but this would be their best bet.

-----------

I doubt they will disband cities. Blockading Quanto's harbor after bombardment is something I would expect them to do. I'd also expect them to keep at least a token defense in each city, even interior. Probably the Tanks and whatever Cavalry survive next turn's Tank seeding.

-----------

We shouldn't waste our DD's bombarding I think. Very small chance to hit enough to change things. If Quanto is heavily defended, no point in going for it. If it is very lightly defended (2-3 Inf) we can try to punch through the BBs. It would be a close thing, but killing those BBs is important, and our DDs will die if we don't anyways.

Comment

I think the decision on the chain would need to wait until that turn. If we are nail and tooth on Lego, we may need 8 more MI over there ASAP.

As long as we can chose either way we'll be fine.

Comment

Blockading Quanto after bombardment might work, if they are lucky. They've got 6 BB in reach, and let's assume another 2 DD or so (we've been sinking a lot of subs and ships there, if they aren't freshly built, there won't be a lot of reinforcement present).

We, OTOH, have 10 4/4 DD, 2 3/4 DD and 1 2/4 DD right now (distract some 6 hp from the bombardment). It certainly wouldn't make them safe enough to have only a token defense in Quanto.

21 inf is frightening to attack. And assuming they somehow disrupt our chain, we only have 55 marines... but that still makes the odds better than 50% right? The 4 M for every I ratio we've been calculating with gives us 90% success, we just have to be a bit more lucky then

if we really can't penetrate their defenses and have to land, Sando 21 is the best bet, yes. I surely hope they leave our spy alone, so we can make a fact-based decision for this, instead of having to do it blindly. I'm not perfectly sure, but I thought that marines defend before tanks do, in which case we would have ~70 undamaged tanks to play with in 244. Not as good as being able to damage them without first taking a hit, but still decent.

DeepO

Comment

oh, the backup troop chaining: Yes indeed, we will have to wait to see how it goes before deciding what to ship over. I just wanted to say that in case we read beforehand that the chain is gone, we do not have to build extra marines, and should cancel the build orders for something useful. I was planning on starting with the chaining in a special way from the first move onwards to make sure we can land both marines, and MI in Sando... whatever we need.

BTW, this extra chaining is going to require a lot of work. And if I say a lot, I mean a whole lot of work. We need 4 TR with M to do it right:

- TR1 lands its M. Some of those M will survive. 3 mp left.
                  - TR2 goes to the same spot. Instead of using those M directly, they are awaken, and loaded on TR1.
                  - From TR1, the M attack. Some will die, the places of which are filled with whatever is left on TR2. Normally, we should have a kill rate of at least 50%, so that TR2 is completely empty.
                  - TR2 goes 1 spot closer to T-1.
                  - TR3 goes to TR2. chains all M to TR2. TR3 4 mp left
                  - TR2 sails back to Sando, and the M attack. TR2 1 mp left
                  - TR3 sails back to T-1 spot. TR4 chains all M to TR3. TR3 3 mp left.
                  - TR3 sails to Sando, and attacks.
                  - TR4 is the chainer: whenever the fresh troops arrive from Stormia, it can load in here, and sail either to Sando, or into Sando.

This will leave none of our TRs exposed in case we can build a harbor on Sando 2.

Why is this so much work? That stack where the right marines have to be awaken is 130 units big... only in scrolling it you lose a minute or more. Not a pleasant thing to look forward too

DeepO

Comment

You could move all the "other" Transports out of the way to open up the ones you are working with. 661, 616, and 166 are all routes to Sand that the ships can use.

Comment

yes, but that assumes that we will get through with our marines. I would prefer to leave the option open that we are not able to break through their defenses, and need to transport our troops somewhere else (especially out of the way of whatever is left from the BB stack). It could mean 2 extra mp for those not-used tanks and stuff.

If we see no danger (e.g. because the BB are sunk), I will certainly move everything out of the way. Even then, it's a pain to do this kind of chaining.

DeepO

Comment

Working...
                      X