No announcement yet.

Roman strategy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already answered the Galley question. We can land near Carthago by exiting port and unloading on the same turn. Even if the Galleys get thrashed (although I doubt all of them will), the job will be done and no Legions lost in the sea.

Concerning claiming territory, I forgot to add a thing. We can still have the Silks north of Macedonia, if we move fast. But that's about as far as I would try to go with peaceful expansion. Later, use Citizens to join into cities (they can help to move population very fast), especially conquered ones.

We have the most powerful unit available. Since peaceful expansion is not going to last long, let's prepare to use the Legions. Let's take the cities others kindly built for us.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the investiagation at the rate Macedonia has been buiding GWs.

Neapolis is way too close for the FP givin that we are Commerical and also that corruption as a whole is lower in this conquest than normal.

I'm thinking build the FP with a military leader anyway. If we put a hire priority on annexing Greece than coloniszing Spain, then somewhere around Athens is where we want the FP. If we place a higher priority on colonzizing Spain and annexating France, then SouthEastern Spain is where we want the FP.

Reaching 20% of the land area is a much more difficult task than reaching 50% of the worlds population. We need the cities stuck at size 6 to be citizen pumps.

Yes, Court Houses are useful in cities with aquaducts where it would cut a turn or two off building Legions/Heavy Calvary. Not particularly needed in cities building Garrisons or Citizens.

Better governement should wait for Imperalism so we don't switch twince. FP should wait until we have a city furthur away than we do.

I also note that there are lots of locations outside of Italy to settle.

Originally posted by Modo44
      Post - turn comments to Emperor Conius and some ideas on how to proceed. I'm attaching a map of Rome, so we can share ideas easier.

Consider investigating the following cities, to find out if we have a chance of getting the Great Library:
      • Alexandria
      • Athens
      • Carthago Novo
      Roma can build it in 6 turns by forfeiting the training of a Legion, which would be worth it.

Consider building the Forbidden Palace in Neapolis, after it finishes the Legion (see below). Or, prepare to rush it in one of our cities in northern Italy.

Consider building Aqueducts, while we are still in our golden Age, to get them up fast. Ancona and Canusium seem best suited to grow bigger. After the training of Legions is finished, they could start Aqueducts next. Of course, leave other cities without Aqueducts, with Citizen production in mind.

We need more Courthouses, we need the Forbidden Palace, we need a better government form. Corruption is crippling many cities.

There are still spots for cities left in Italy:
      • Croton 22
      • Croton 69
      • Padua 22

1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

#1 : Use the Great Leader for an army of Legionary IIs. Italy will be virtually corruption free when we switch to Imperalism.

#4 : Investiage feasibility of storing shields for the Bacarilla. This requires us to have access to both Spice & Silk and Philosphacy before we'd start wasting shields. Also if there's any wonder-chains in progress we want those to end before anyone else has the possibility of building the Bacrailla.
        Templar Science Minister
        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
          I wouldn't bother with the investiagation at the rate Macedonia has been buiding GWs.
          It's Deity, they might or might not be closer than 6 turns. And we have a mountain of cash, even after upgrading all Legions is done. I think we need the info, and we certainly can afford it.

Neapolis is way too close for the FP givin that we are Commerical and also that corruption as a whole is lower in this conquest than normal.
          But this is C3C, so in general it's location is of less importance. However the overall reduced corruption is very important. The idea is to have that production back now, so we can research and conquer faster. After switching to Imperialism, corruption won't bother us much anyway. Currently we already have trouble on Sicily because of corruption, so building the FP ASAP is crucial, IMO - it would help all our cities in an instant.

I'm thinking build the FP with a military leader anyway. If we put a hire priority on annexing Greece than coloniszing Spain, then somewhere around Athens is where we want the FP. If we place a higher priority on colonzizing Spain and annexating France, then SouthEastern Spain is where we want the FP.
          Slow, sloow, slooooow. All the shields and cash wasted by not having the FP.

Reaching 20% of the land area is a much more difficult task than reaching 50% of the worlds population. We need the cities stuck at size 6 to be citizen pumps.
          Again, a different thinking here. The big cities give more cash and more production for faster conquest. We won't be able to REX our way to 20% land, we'll have to conquer. Citizens don't exactly do well attacking cities.

Yes, Court Houses are useful in cities with aquaducts where it would cut a turn or two off building Legions/Heavy Calvary. Not particularly needed in cities building Garrisons or Citizens.

I also note that there are lots of locations outside of Italy to settle.
          Yes, but if we were to simply send Citizens without defenses, we'd lose those locations soon. I'd rather do that to our opponents instead, because they'll surely have weakly defended new cities.

Comment

More on FP location. In addition to increasing the OCN, the FP also reduces distance-based corruption. (But not OCN based.)

There will be virutally no distance based corruption in Italy, Corsica, Sardina, or Silicy after we switch to Imperalism.

I haven't looked at the save, but I hear that Macedonia finished the Great Libary on turn 1 of our last emperor reigs and we have built Herridan's Wall and Temple of Artemis during his reign as well. What wonders are left besides the Baccrira which we don't have the tech for?

We'll get a biger improvement switching to Imperalism.

There's not enough land collectively owned by Carthage, Celts, Gauls, Macedonians, and Egyptains to conquer our way to 20% without buildling citizens to fill in the unsettled territory. (That is roughly half the Persian empire short of victory; much easier to fill in the large gaps with new cities.)

AI is granted a defensive unit for free whenever it founds a city at this level.
            Templar Science Minister

Comment

The Macedonians have: Colossus, Mausoleum, Lighthouse, Oracle.

Macedonians, Carthage and Persia are building Great Library at the moment.

We can have Philosophy in 4 turns and go for Bacchanalia, but it requires spices and Silks to be connected - we don't have them.

Yes, I know the FP will be only working towards the OCN number, if put in Neapolis. I agree it's a bit late to think of it that way. Just checked the tech path and we're approximately 8 turns from Imperialism. So the FP goes somewhere distant from Roma.

Comment

I'm working on sorting the discussions sofar on navy, military, wonders, forbidden palace, expansion, domestic & foreign affairs and hope to get it into approriate threads within 10 hours. I would like to ask the senate to wait with further discussion on these issues untill than. Suggestions on other subjects will be appriciated, though, please do not start to discuss it right away.
                don't worry about things you have no influence on...

Comment

The macedons built Great Lighthouse during my reign, one turn before we would have gotten it prior to my switch to Hadrians Wall.

I would say Baccanalia is the only other wonder we should seriously consider if we can get the two luxury resources. And Philo
                  *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Tech path:
                    1. Complete Republic.
                    2. Research Philosphacy
                    3. Pick Imperalism as the free tech.
                    Templar Science Minister

Comment

• Republic is finished, philosophy is being studied and there's not much research left after that.

Comment

• Well, after Imperalism, a good tech to have would be Enginnering because it will keep our units from having to slow down every time they cross a river.
                        Templar Science Minister

Comment

• we can decrease the the lux rates. The only cities that will suffer are Roma and Neapolis and both of them don't need production or food for the next turn.
                          There are some entertainers we don't need in Massilla (to work), Marsala (to taxman or scientist) and Messana (taxman or scientist too).
                          I think we should build citizens in Roma and Neapolis - to decrease the number of unhappy people and to use their food growth instead of wasting it.

Comment

• Strategy thoughts after Emperor Jagjef's rule.

Our forces are currently committed to attacking Spanish Carthage. And, we have Ceasar Augustus with his army, ready to be shipped to take the islands (he should move out from Padua, to avoid his Galley being sunk with him aboard). In addition, the new government form will reduce the overall corruption greatly. Therefore, I am in favor of continusing the campaign, to further cripple Carthage, so they never pose a threat again. We already have a big force, and a city there - let us not stop now!

At the same time, we should begin to increase our military in the north and north-east. Also, we can still expand in that direction, as soon as more Citizens and Legions become available. Of course, we will need some military, because of the barbarians. Later, we can unleash our forces, when opportunity arises.

True, Greece is at war, and therefore weakened. It is, however, too soon to begin an attack. First of all, some of their forces might still be near our lands, and that would slow or attack down. Second, we don't have enough offensive units in that region, to start fighting just yet. I say we wait until after the new Emperor's reign, or perhaps even longer. This will make sure our forces in theregion are strong, while the Macedonians will be badly damaged by the Persians (no matter who wins that war).

Personally, I would go for the Celts (just to make Emperor Aqualung angry ), but there's no need for now. However, I advise to expand our possessions into the west, to keep the barbarians from growing. This will require careful execution, because the Carthaginians operate close.

A minor change for now - some Entertainers in our cities can be turned into Scientists or Taxmen, while still keeping the citizens content.

And of course, remaining city locations in Italy:
                            • Croton 22
                            • Padua 66

Comment

• Carthago has at least 10 ships around Sicily, 2 groups with 3 ships and one group with 4-5 ships, and one ship up in the english channel.

My plan was to ship out Ceasar Augustus from Padua, and take the Islands. Starting with the Northern first.
                              Neo Voxian and
                              President and founder of the Apolyton Yact Club.

Comment

• Carthage,.... Carthago is no more...

Comment

Working...
                                X