• Time
  • Show
Clear All

rock on
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
      (I'm just glad no-one has yet yelled at me for missing out on the grid this time around... )
      What?!?!?!

The United Grid Lobbyists Local # 434 is ENRAGED by this blatant disregard for the participants of this DemoGame!

We demand restitution be paid to all participants!
      Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; June 9, 2004, 17:07.

Comment

I gotta say that we should go for the goody hut with the worker for the simple reason of "What If" as in, what if there happens to be a settler waiting in that hut??? Then what.

I can see it both ways though as the terrain around us dictates there not be a whole lotta production... in my mind it is a tossup.

If we go for the hut first I believe the consequences are minimal in terms of initial production, especially if we plan on building another worker first. With two workers AND being industrious we can play catch up in a hurry.... On the other hand, getting that goody hut, if it does turn out to be a settler, we'd be light years ahead, and even if it is not, we'd be able to catch up as we'd have two workers that have an industrious frame of mind

I say go for the hut.

Comment

Good luck, guys. By the way: Aeson knows what he's talking about. I strongly suggest you listen.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

is this a Demo-game or is this an Aeson-game? :P

Comment

I'm all for going for the hut. It's not like we're playing against human opponents as in the team games and an early settler would be nice.
              Proud member of the Hawk Party.

Comment

With two workers AND being industrious we can play catch up in a hurry....
                You'd need a Settler from the hut to ever catch up to having two Workers and being Industrious... and not wasting 4 Worker turns.

The only sure thing about sending the Worker for the hut is we lose 4 Worker turns. The odds of getting a Settler from the hut are the same whatever turn we pop the hut. The benefit of opening the hut sooner is we'd have the Settler/Warrior sooner if it's going to be there. It's paying 4 Worker turns for ~15% chance of it paying off big. Using those 4 Worker turns to build a Road will pay off... 100%.

The odds of missing the Hut to a neighbor on a Large map (distance between civs:18) in the first 10 turns are negligible as well. If you watch the AI explore pattern they very rarely go in straight lines. They also don't take into account terrain when using Scouts, and often waste movement by moving onto Hills, Mountains, Forests, Swamps, or Jungles with their first movement point. To reach that hut before our cultural borders do, they'd have to pretty much beeline for it and have flat terrain all the way.

I just ran 10 turns in debug on a Large map with 6 Expansionist AI. Their scouts made it 2, 5, 9, 9, 10, and 13 tiles from their capitol. A second test on another map gave 2, 5, 8, 10, 10, and 11. They do see huts within 4 tiles of their initial city and beeline their Scout for it. They don't beeline for things (huts, civs) far away with their Scouts.

Our start is hemmed in by coast to the E. We have a Mountain range extending N and S, and there will be Jungle/Swamp not too distant to the S too. That further diminishes the chances that an AI will be able to make it to us in that timeframe, the only direction they could come without running into movement restrictions is from the W.

Comment

I fully believe Aeson's correct on the odds and the logic of popping the hut later versus now.

But...........

I don't want to ruin the game for anyone. But the best part of a DemoGame as opposed to the team competitions is that, well we're pretty much gonna win no matter how idiotic we are. Come on, the Civ AI are complete morons. We're gonna kick their buts.

We have the luxury of making decisions and moves and gameplay because we felt like it, not necessarily because its the most efficient move to make. If it sounds like fun to attack and invading horde of Legionaires with our 3 Workers in the north. We could do that. I wouldn't vote for that option, unless maybe they were Uber's Workers...........

It's like Sir Ralph was talking about, at this point roleplaying and light hearted game play are more of what I'm in this for. I've had several years of playing the game in teams and SP for maximizing score, that's gotten kinda old. But interacting with other players and utilizing that as the basis of our gameplay promises to be interesting.

Although I'm not necessarily prepared to invest our entire next four turns of use of the Worker in one Hut. Of course we could road the Gems to the northwest of him, making it faster to get to the hut and connecting us to Gems at the same time.

Comment

No worries GF, it's not going to ruin the game for me if we don't go get the hut first.

That said, I also agree with you on the "fun" aspect . For me, when I play the game I don't care too much for 4 paragraphs of logic and analysis (no offense to those of you who do this) I don't calculate which tile will be the best place to put a city because it will give 39 food instead of 37. That takes too much time and doesn't affect the game drastically at all. Sure I look it over and make an good guestimate.... but it's just a game. I save all of that analysis and what not for work and whatnot.

When I see a goody hut at the beginning of the game, I go get it. To me, it's more fun that way, to see what we're gonna get, before I start with the workers action if I don't have a scout. I don't think it usually puts me that far behind, even when I have two workers and industrious, sure, I may never catch back up completely, but do I really need to??? Like I said, it's just more fun to go get the goody hut right away, just to see what is there...

but that is just me....

Comment

I don't see any good reason to go pop the hut immediately...
                      Just build a worker and let the city pop it; we still have a chance for a settler or other stuff then.
                      Alea iacta est!

Comment

go hard on that grid
                        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                        I am of the Horde.

Comment

Bah we're playing at such a silly difficult level anyway, so doesn't even matter than much i'd guess.. but still not a reason not to do it proper, i say wait for the borders to expand to pop it automatically but i don't mind moving the worker there if someone prefer that rather.. =)
                          Proud member of the PNY Brigade
                          Also a proud member of the The Glory Of War team on PtW-DG

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"

Comment

The people have spoken...

Comment

Sorry for the delay guys - I have been in demand a lot recently IRL. I am now mega-tired, but free to found the city. I will do this later tonight (maybe 8 hours' time), and then try to get a turnchat going for Saturday around 0100 GMT).
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

WIA:
                                Before founding the city, please save the game and share the save. It will be great for historical purposes
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X