[Feudal Game] Turn 1, 4000BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feudal Game] Turn 1, 4000BC

'Twas a Feudal night in the land-o'-sheep when a glorious start was attained for the Feudal Game.

I present to you now the results of the world randomly generated by my computer with input World characteristics as follows (polled on):

Landmass[B] Pangaea
    Ocean Percentage 60%
    Climate Random
    Age Random
    Temperature Random

So it looks like we hand our fate to the lords of chance, before whom ALL of us are landless serfs squabbling for survival.

So, here is our start.

Looks OK, yes? We are in the middle of the map, and we have a load of floodplains everywhere. Now we need to discuss where to send the worker, and then where to settle our first city.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Just a reminder that we will start with 3 food on the central tile, so growth will be fast whilst we settle along that river, as the Despotic penalty on the Agricultural trait's bonus food is waived when you are settled next to a supply of FRESH water.
    Consul.

Comment

WIA, settle on the spot, since we will need to use the hill for shields. Food is not a issue here, but the shields will be.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

My only concern is that by settling on a Floodplain we run the risk of disease. Did we move the Worker onto the mountain or hill to get a wider view of the area?

Comment

There has been no moving of the worker yet, and I agree we should use the worker to scout a tile before settling. That desert may continue Northwest (looks like it does on the edge of tile there), and we have no idea what is on the other side of those hills (to the East), so perhaps moving the worker to the hill or the mountain to the SE would allow us to see furthest.
          Consul.

Comment

It looks like there are more hills and another river to the SE, and I think I can make out the edge of a plains tile E-NE of the settler...

I recommend moving the worker SE.

Comment

good looking area though
              Gurka 17, People of the Valley
              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Moving the worker SE sounds good to me.. and by the looks of it there isn't any better spot to settle nearby, and the risk of disease is a risk we'll have to take.
                Btw, we are playing at Sid difficulty, right?
                Proud member of the PNY Brigade
                Also a proud member of the The Glory Of War team on PtW-DG

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"

Comment

The start is very good, even though it will be a bit slow to build anything at first. We'll need at least another Worker out at the start to make use of it properly.

I would move the Worker W. Oasis' are better than Bonus Grassland for an Agricultural civ, and we'll get a look at more Desert with the move. I think you can see an Oasis from the SW in FOW, if so we get a look at 4 potential Desert, if not 3. Moving the Settler W or NW to be next to or to eventually include an Oasis would be worthwhile. We'll also have our Worker on the best tile for us to improve if we don't move.

Moving E onto the Hill is another good option. It will show us a lot of tiles, but moving the Settler that way isn't going to be a good idea. We don't want to settle on any Hills because we'll need their production, and so to stay along the river we put the Volcano more into play. It looks like we'll need 3 turns to get to another city site to the E. Founding the city where we are and Mining the hill first (6) would give us more production but it's usually better to emphasize growth over production. What we see from the hill would at best be a distraction.

As for research, who does F10 say our opponents are? (or are we going to forgo that method?) We start with Pottery and Masonry. Alphabet tends to go best with either, but if there are a lot of Commercial/Seafaring civs (and Japan isn't around) the Wheel works out well for trading purposes too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ennet
                    Moving the worker SE sounds good to me.. and by the looks of it there isn't any better spot to settle nearby, and the risk of disease is a risk we'll have to take.
                    Btw, we are playing at Sid difficulty, right?
                    We are playing at Emperor.

Comment

In my own game in such a situation, I would found the city in place in the Flood Plains, move the worker east onto the hill to mine and road. (Mining first because we are agricultural.)
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Ya, definatly use worker to scout, if nothing better comes along settle on the spot, use worker to mine and road those beautiful hills.

Lots of gems=lots of commerce. If we are forced to work the mountains because of lack of better surrounding terrain atleast the will have lots of moneys.

tip of a volcanoe to the south...
                        Last edited by Gamecube64; June 5, 2004, 16:26.
                        I changed my signature

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                          As for research, who does F10 say our opponents are? (or are we going to forgo that method?) We start with Pottery and Masonry. Alphabet tends to go best with either, but if there are a lot of Commercial/Seafaring civs (and Japan isn't around) the Wheel works out well for trading purposes too.
                          That's a very good idea! I forgot about F10.

Looks from the discussion to date that we move the worker either SE, E or W, and likely found where we are unless there is something worth moving once for.

Although I was all set to move the worker East in the hopes of finding something beyond those mountains, Aeson's point is well made - we'd be better off settling where we are or moving only one tile, and unless we curtail our shields by founding on the hills to the East West is the only real option to find better terrain (unlikely but for a possible Desert).

I go to Oz for a couple of days in 14 hours - should I just go ahead and move the Worker west or poll on things and wait for a couple of days before we get anything done? I'd prefer to give us a start, at least, but the opinions I get in the next few hours will help shape my decision....
                          Consul.

Comment

I agree we should use the worker to scout a tile before settling
                            Me too.
                            I would be a little curious as to why we wouldn't want to move the worker uphill for a better view. A quick survey north or east, perhaps.

I like the shiny rocks. Very happy.
                            Before Enlightenment: Chop Wood, Carry Water.
                            After Enlightenment: Chop Wood, Carry Water.
                            I reserve the right to speak gibberish in public, to embarass myself as a Senator, and to generally ignore the Bananis Imperialis; assumed competent. The Decadence that was Rome scoffs, I stand in the Bacchanalian temples laughing.

Comment

Anychance of us playing a turnchat for the next several turns? Kinda curious as to what will appear in our surroundings.

Comment

Working...
                              X