Unofficial Senate poll - JAPAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial Senate poll - JAPAN

"Esteemed members of the Apolyton Senate, I come before you today to ask your thoughts on an operation that has been planned partially in secret partially in public, but shall be made public today.

We all know of the Japanese threat to our security, and we know that they are the 2nd most powerful nation behind our own. That they are isolated and relatively safe from harms way only serves to fuel their expansionistic ways, and their thirst for conquest.

They have aligned themselves with our enemies, and have set foot on our own soil with the intent to destroy us and enslave our people. This, my friends, is nothing we don't already know.

That they have gathered an invasion fleet of impressive size, one that the world has never seen until now, speaks waves of their desire for conquest, a desire no doubt fueled to Tokugawa by his Generals and Ministers, and most likely by Tokugawa himself.

That they have neglected peace, and chosen war as their form of diplomacy. Do ye not remember when our FAM politely asked them to leave, and in response they captured our workers, led attacks on our hastily defended cities, and tried to sink our ships abroad?

I ask you today to cast your vote, on what we do. This poll shall remain 7 days, so that all of your preferences can be chosen.

What do you support?

1: INVADE THE JAPANESE ISLANDS!
    2: NEVER! WE MUST EXTEND THE OLIVE BRANCH! (PEACE FOR OUR TIME)
    3: DEFENSE ONLY, DESTROY THEIR INVADING FORCES, THEN PEACE
    4: I'M SCARED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Thank you gentlemen (and ladies if you're out there) "
    INVADE THE JAPANESE ISLANDS!
    41.18%
    NEVER! WE MUST EXTEND THE OLIVE BRANCH! PEACE IN OUR TIME!
    11.76%
    DEFENSIVE POSTURE ONLY, DESTROY INCOMING FORCES, THEN PEACE
    47.06%
    I'M SCARED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! (ABSTAIN)
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
    Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

You know my vote, folks...
    RIAA sucks
    The Optimistas
    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Invade!!

Make the modern age interesting!

Many people say they don't do the modern age becuase its too boring. Well, this means we need to develop some good strategies. For example: How not to get entangled in a nuclear war
      Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
      King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
      ---------
      May God Bless.

Comment

PS: I'm assuming this will be after a while of peace - we can't handle any more war soon. Also, we would be more prepared for war with carriers and transports and tanks.
        Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
        King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
        ---------
        May God Bless.

Comment

Notice that there has been no date set for this operation, but will most likely occur (if approved of in an official capacity later) after we've researched transports, battleships, bombers, marines, tanks, mech infantry, (modern armor perhaps) aircraft carriers, etc etc....possibly even as far forward as cruise missiles, too.

This is just an opinion poll.

Comment

Cross-post with Panzer32 pretty much.

Comment

Hmm...actually this poll is flawed, based on timing issues.

The first option sounds like it is an IMMEDIATE thing, but I didn't not intend it to be so.... It should have been: WAGE WAR ON JAPANESE ISLANDS AFTER SIGNIFICANT BUILD-UP OF INFRASTRUCTURE AND MILITARY

but that's too long....oops

Comment

Keep in mind also, (DIA particularly), that I fully support any and all improvements be made to our infrastructure and city builds, BEFORE such an invasion should occur.

For if we are not strong at home, our forces abroad will be weakened....

Comment

Defensive posture only

The number of Battleships, Transports, and Aircraft Carriers that an invasion of Japan would require (note that Japan is outside bomber range from both the mainland and Uber Island) would make it very difficult for our coastal cities to build their Hospitals.

The # of bombers, fighters and Tanks required would similarly strain the inland cities, especally when combined with additional Tank, Fighters, and Bombers required on our Roman / Bab frontier for when the Japs get those two nations to join in their treachery.

Edit to note the cross-post with Meshelic.
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

You know my posture

War = boring and long
                    => go with the olive branch already (I admit I hesistated with the defnesive posture as well)
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Keep your eyes on the prize - Greece.
                      We didn't move the palace to Macross City for no reason. Now let us justify that move.

I vote defensive only, for now.
                      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Defensive posture.

Need to lower that war weariness for some time to come...

If we have some spare time before the space ship launches near the end of the game, I'm not against making Tokugawa learn what a real invasion force is about, but it probably would just slow down the democracy game before the spaceship makes it (so it depends on whether we want to prolongue the end or just get to it already...).
                        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
                          Need to lower that war weariness for some time to come...
                          AFAIK WW is calculated separately for every civ, so our high WW from the war with Germany will not resurface if we attack Japan.
                          However, there are plenty of good reasons why we should take on a defensive posture for now.
                          "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                          And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                          Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Since this poll means different things to different people, I won't vote yet. But I'm with Meshelic and the other D-Dayers: invade, but after a building period of peace.

Comment

This poll sux can we get another? j/k

I'm going to repost this opinion poll so it better outlines our options.

Sorry to waste all of your time....

See you all later, I'm off to a surprise party for my mother.

Comment

Working...
                              X