No announcement yet.

Palace move: the proper way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aka Lhasa. Yes that's the one. Wouldn't that just be the cats meow?
    I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

THe thing is, do we want to ultamatly take over parts of Greece or more of the Southern Contenant?

E_T

AFAIK the majority of the senate are against a war with Greece, or prefer a war with England and a war with Zululand first. In any case, the committee, once selected, should tend to these issues, poll the public and take the results into consideration.

Shiber
      Did I not read somewhere that England & Zululand are both Forbidden Palace centric.
      I guess E_T is looking even further down the future.
      If the palace is moved North...Greece would most likely become a target.
      Last edited by Hot_Enamel; January 9, 2003, 20:28.
      "No Comment"

Comment

If we wanted Wall Street, we should have built it eons ago when the 50/turn would have mattered. I am not saying don't build it, just that it is no longer a priority. We have adequate cash flow prospects without it.

You need 5 hospitals for BFM

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
          Did I not read somewhere that England & Zululand are both Forbidden Palace centric.
          I guess E_T is looking even further down the future.
          If the palace is moved North...Greece would most likely become a target.
          Yes, the Palace move is VERY Expensive. With the more cities that you have, the more it costs to build a new Palace. One of the Previous Regional areas that we had (long in the past) planned to annex, were areas of the Greek Nation.

2 terms ago, when I was the City Planner, there was a plan to build that Palace at Timeline (and the FP at Conaginon, now TFC). I found out that the move to that location would actually be detrimental to the Nation. I then had presented to the Population at the time (the New con & Senate had not taken effect yet) 2 new locations that we could move the palace to. These locaations were at places that we could build the Palace within a reasonable period of time. They where Macross City & Here It Is. Macross City was the better choice, but the Population didn't want the Palace moved at that time and it was left to the Senate (just forming) to form a committee to re-explore and re-recommend a location for the Palace move.

They didn't do it. And here we are now.

The original plans were having us taking a large portion of the Greek Nations. Now we have an oppertunity that didn't exist before. We have a GL that can be used to build the Palace anywhere we what it to be.

So the question becomes, were do we want to have our nation expand in the future? Do we want more of the southern portion of the continent (and the Great Wonders that Rome & Russia currently posses) or do we want more of the northern Continent? Or a mixture of the two?

These are the things that need to be desided on, to find the best place to build the Palace.

E_T
          Come and see me at WePlayCiv
          Worship the Comic here!
          Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

We want Shields. Pure and simple. Some want to turn the shields into plowshares, and others want to turn the shields into swords.

And since we are in the industrial age after all, most of us have dreams. Dreams that are completely foreign to our grandfathers.

Some have dreams of space ship parts being launched from Cape Ferropolis into the great unknown and a bold new age of discovery unlike any that has gone before.

Some of us have dreams of standing in the reviewing stands at the Ferropolis parade grounds as the Armies of Modern Armor pass by row upon row.

But for now, they are all just pre-builds. No, they are the shields that will be the pre-builds. Shields that fret and strut their time in the production box and then, when done become part of an ever greater source of glory and power for Apolytonia. Just simple shields.

How we decide to use those shields is not the question of today, but the question of tomorrow. What we need to address today is how can we best insure that these shields will be there for our children and our childrens children. How best to insure that the dreams of today be realized in our glorious future.

The question for today is what can we do to encourage, no, what can we do to dare our nation to dream.

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
            Last edited by roadcage; July 25, 2003, 07:35.

Comment

Expand north!
              Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
              King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
              ---------
              May God Bless.

Comment

Actually a Centrally located palace is very suboptimal with any FP location in times of peace. (The only worse locations are P closer to the FP than the center of the empire.)

The easiest apporxatioomation of the P-FP problem is a flat earth with the idea of minimzing the grand CN total composed of the minimum between the P & FP.

In such a case, this is always achieved by having the P & FP in the pair of cities furthest away from each other.

In a Cylinder map like Civ III is played on, the answer is probably the same, it's just harder to determine which pair of cities are furthest from each other because both clockwise and counter clockwise around must be considered in cases where it's non-obvious.

-----

Since we have a fixed FP, perhaps someone could tell us which city within our empire is furthest away from The Forbiden City, checking both clockwise and anticlockwise because our contientant extends over such a large amount of territory on the map.

While the actual city that is furthest away is probably the wrong choice because of the distance to p/fp in the corruption formulas that this aproximation ignores I'd be suprized if the optimum location for the Palace using E_T's & Roadcage is more than 10 cities away from that location.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

We don't need the whole way around the earth - we only need our current and future empire.
                  Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
                  King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
                  ---------
                  May God Bless.

Comment

Panzer32, what we are talking about is which distance is closer, the one across the map, or around the map. What joncnunn is suggesting is that the greatest minimum cylindrical distance is a proxy for where to begin the search for the optimum location.

Comment

It turns out that our contienant spans 38 1/2 west to east, and the section not in our contienant is 33 1/2 west to east.

It turns out that the city furthest away from our FP that's currently inside our empire is newly captured Brundism, which isn't too far from half way around the world from the FP.

(33 tiles going east from Brundism to the Forbiden City and 39 tiles going west from Brundism to the Forbiden City) (North / South ignored)

Marcoss City is the 10th furthest city away currently inside our empire from Brundism.
                      Last edited by joncnunn; January 10, 2003, 16:58.
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

hi ,

take our great nation , cut it in two , put a palace in the middle of each half , simple , ....

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Distance Calculation

The distance formula is still calculated the same:

Dist = SquareRoot ( Square (distx) + Square (disty) )

where the x & y distances are figures along the NW-SE and NE-SW lines. There is another formula that uses the NSEW lines, but is a bit more complex & will return the same Result.

E_T
                          Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                          Worship the Comic here!
                          Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Yes, that was first apporxiation, and it turns out that further conquests won't move first approximation much.

(Athough we would have to annex much of Rome & Russia for that city to pass the resonableness test.)

The biggest thing it reveled was that if Marcoss City is the wrong place, the correct location is much more likely to be west of there than east.

Originally posted by roadcage
                            Panzer32, what we are talking about is which distance is closer, the one across the map, or around the map. What joncnunn is suggesting is that the greatest minimum cylindrical distance is a proxy for where to begin the search for the optimum location.
                            Templar Science Minister

Comment

I can live with that. Brundesium is a good old name going all the way back to CivI. But of course we will need to 'Polyize' it

Comment

hi ,

no matter what the is done here , the people shall tell us what to do , so what is really needed is a set of calculations that show the pro's and con's , ......

have a nice day
                                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                                X