Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining a Democracy game

Hello,

I recently purchased the CIV3 after being a sporadic Civ1 & 2 player - This Democracy version has me intrigued but I cannot find any real info FAQ on it.

1) How does one learn rules
    2) How to form join a game

Anhting else appreciated,

Joseph

Well, in order to form your own game, you'll generally have to start your own website and get a whole lot of members.

But you're in luck! As you've already joined this group and posted, you are now an official Senator of Apolyton! You are empowered to vote on and create bills regarding actions that should be undertaken by our President and Cabinet, and able to bring suit in our Sumpreme Court.

Check out the topped threads first, I beleive the Directory will give you some help. Give it some time, and you can become a major player. I came in unknown, and was President of a political party (there are 3: the DIA, Hawk, and Labor), Science Minister, Military Commander, and most recently High Bishop of the new church you may read about.
    "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
    Former President, C3SPDGI

Comment

huh

hi Thud,

Thanks but I can't get thru these threads without confusion. Where is your Civ, policies, beliefs & where do I learn - what is a topped thread?

JQ

Comment

A topped thread is a thread that reads 'Top' first, and has been placed at the top by the administrator so they won't slide off the first page after some new threads pop up.

The 'Term 7: Directory' Thread has two things that you should absolutly read (or at least flip through, even I can't read the whole Constitution without being frustrated): The Constitution and The Tutorial and Lexicon, both at the top of that thread. The Lexicon will giv you the basics and a map, as well as a good deal of terms, but it quite outdated. It really shouldn't matter (except for the map)

Otherwise, I can tell you we are currently at war with another civ (Germany), and are the most powerful and advanced civ.

I suggest you join a party too. Particularly the DIA. (We're the peaceable builders, and the largest party) The Hawks are warmongers, and the Labor-ites are new on the scene, and... interesting in their beliefs.

Have fun.
        "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
        Former President, C3SPDGI

Comment

ok how do we join political parties? thats the one thing i realy need to know
          Moo Goes the Cow, Onk Goes the pig, Baa Goes the Sheep, War goes the Bush

Comment

Originally posted by Thud
            I suggest you join a party too. Particularly the DIA. (We're the peaceable builders, and the largest party) The Hawks are warmongers, and the Labor-ites are new on the scene, and... interesting in their beliefs.
            You do not have to join a party. A recent poll revealed that the majority of citizens are in fact independant. Those who are party members are often people who are stubborn and closed-minded in their approach to the game. I prefer to be thought of as more open-minded, so am a proud independant.

Comment

i see your point, but i would still like to know how to join one

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Mayor
                i see your point, but i would still like to know how to join one
                Contact a member of one of the parties. For the DIA you talk to Nimitz (I believe), for the Hawks, well you just say you're a Hawk and that's pretty much it, for the Labor Party, same thing as DIA.

EDIT - For the Labor Party you talk to ME, not Nimitz (which upon further reading it looks like I said that)

Last edited by Meshelic; January 4, 2003, 22:24.
                Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Re: huh

Originally posted by socks
                  hi Thud,

Thanks but I can't get thru these threads without confusion. Where is your Civ, policies, beliefs & where do I learn - what is a topped thread?

JQ
                  Hey socks let me help clarify some things for you.

Ok, so imagine you are playing with your friends at the computer. Since you are the one physically playing the game and sitting at the screen, you are President. Now, maybe your friends want to help to, so you put them in charge of the Military, Domestic duties, Foreign Affairs, etc.

Now imagine this on a much bigger scale, say, with 150 people, who are ALL SENATORS who can propose laws and vote in polls, except for an elected minister who is part of the executive branch.
                  They all elect the President, who PHYSICALLY plays the game.
                  They all elect the Ministers, Domestic Minister (DM), Supreme Military Commander (SMC), Foreign Affairs Minister (FAM).

Each minister submits written orders to the President and tells him what to do. Every week the President holds what is called a TURNCHAT, where he plays about 5-10 turns of the game with a chat line going where others Ministers or Senators can join in and make suggestions or whatever.

The civ that we play is Egypt, whom we have affectionately named the Apolytons after this website. We are basically the leader of the world, technologically, militarily, economically....etc, although it wasn't like that in the beginning.

We have a bi-weekly newspaper (bi-weekly I think?) called the Jungle Gazette (called the Jungle Gazette because we had the worst start location in a huge jungle).

We are in the middle of a World War, which we are winning, against the Germans, Romans, Babylonians and Chinese (not sure about Chinese, I've been gone a little while lately). The rest of the world is on our side, except for the Zulus who are our enemy but remain nuetral during the war.

A TOPPED thread is one that will always remain on the very top of the list of folders that you see when you log in. You'll see it says TOP in front of it. The TOPPED threads contain the CONSTITUTION, the GOVERNMENT, and other important things.

That's all I can really fill you in on. The others are right, a good way to get involved and find out what is going on is to join a political party, or just keep up on the latest news. Eventually you'll understand what is going on. Trust me, I started out here totally clueless a couple months ago, but after awhile you catch on really quick. Keep asking questions too, that always helps a lot.

Meshelic
                  Chairman Apolyton Labor Party
                  Deputy SMC and Captain of the Guard, Shadow Service

Comment

Welcome, socks. I'm afraid we still need an updated FAQ, but the Tutorial and Lexicon is still a good resource.

Parties are NOT necessary. I only recently joined one after many months of being an independant. Most Civ3 Demogamers are independant.

BTW, I noticed you've joined two different PTW Demogame teams. I doubt either team will let you onboard while you are also trying to sign up for a second team, so I'd suggest you cancel both Civgroups till you've decided on one team you want to join.

Comment

Socks - one word of advice - join the Labor Party.

Why? We have the most progressive platform in Apolytonia. We abhor slavery. We have the best headquarters. (ask Meshelic. He is the boss.) We have the best parties. Promise.
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Now don't start that, we the DIA have our party HQ in the great capital city of Apolyton the best and the place where most gov. dealings go on. The DIA also hates slavery as I the party president know of non that want to keep it around thats in the DIA. We in the DIA are also one the oldest parties so have many great wines and spirits for our member so in short if you want the best join the DIA.
                        Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
                        Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                        President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

Nimitz

sing me up

Comment

Everytime someone new shows up all the political parties start yelling for new members. I think it's kind of funny, although I did it every now and then.

The DIA....wow. They'll stoop to any level to get more members.....

oh and by the way, seeing Mr.Mayor, a known Mofia man, joining the DIA figures in to everything now.

I wouldn't want the Mofia to have any dealing with the Labor Party. We won't let our life-blood be dirtied by organized criminals....

Comment

your marked Meshelic we have the data tapes!

Comment

Working...
                              X