FAM Term 7 Candidate Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAM Term 7 Candidate Debate

As some of you know I am stepping up and seeking your vote for the position FAM - Term 7.

I want to be clear regarding my platform, an educated democracy is a succesful democracy.

First - I will work with the SMC, President and the DM to insure that our campaign against the Germans will be sucessful. This will include obtaining all relevent and necessary MPPs and alliances that we as a nation deems in our best interest.

Second - in persuant to our great undertakings in building the ToE and Hoovers dam, I will work to RESTRICT other nations from benefiting from our hard research.

Idealy speaking,
    I will support first obtaining Scientific Methods, Then immediatly Starting ToE while we research Replacable Parts. After that then Atomic Theory and Electronics. I will not allow Atomic theory to be traded until we are 5 turns away from compleation of Hoovers. I will not allow electricity to be traded untill at least 5 turns from ToE. One bonus regarding replacable parts is that we have one other non wonder tech worth trading. If all goes well, we can have mobile transportation and flight by the end of this administration while the rest of the world is researching mass production.

We are entering into a time of great trepidation. We must be careful. We want to build support for the demise of germany but do not want to give up our tenous tech lead.

I intend to WAIT until rival AIs can afford an exhorberant prices for the techs we have to sell. This requires allowing some deals to expire.

Together with the DM, we can use this time to pull away from the AI civs and insure a 2-3 tech lead.

I hope to put us so firmly ahead of the AI so that we can complete the UN as the other nations begin to enter the modern age.

Please feel free to ask any questions. This thread is for debate. Other candidates are MORE THAN welcome.

Thank you for your anticipated support

ManicStarSeed
    Remember.... pillage first then burn.

I am currently running to keep this post.

I will be posting a campaign statement for myself, probably in the next day or so (I'm too busy with writing senate bills to forward to people at the moment).

For now, I will simply say that people can expect me to continue to meet the standards I have set for myself in the past as VP and FAM.

Thank You.
    Last edited by Arnelos; December 10, 2002, 02:54.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Wow, clear difference in trading positions this time, unlike the previous FAM election.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Joncnunn said in another thread the AI is slightly ahead us in research. Can we beat the AI? How is our sci slider right now? I mean, much of your strategy depends of our tech lead. Can we achieve this? Or is this a question for the DM?
        RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Ah, good, this will save me from having to make this thread on thursday........
          If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Ok, so there WOULD be differences if we swapped horses today. However I figure there are 3 more turn chats and about 15 turns remaining in the current administration. We will most likely be deeply into a long drawnout WWI like scenario. But lets back up to 1240 or so. Imagine we just got Electricity, but to our ****rin Otto has snuck in with either the Corporation or Espionage and has shopped it a bit. How would you respond? (Both candidates please address)
            I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

Originally posted by roadcage
              Ok, so there WOULD be differences if we swapped horses today. However I figure there are 3 more turn chats and about 15 turns remaining in the current administration. We will most likely be deeply into a long drawnout WWI like scenario. But lets back up to 1240 or so. Imagine we just got Electricity, but to our ****rin Otto has snuck in with either the Corporation or Espionage and has shopped it a bit. How would you respond? (Both candidates please address)
              Good points... By the time I become FAM (assuming), it might be too late to effect this plan.

Going back to your scenario,
              We just got Electricity, I would request (of the DM) that we study Sci. Meth. Upon tech compleation, start on Replacable parts and ToE. Do we have corporation? If we don't, I might look to trade Electricity for Corporation and Espionage (perhaps even some GPT) no sooner than 5 turns prior to the completion of ToE. By the time we finish ToE, I expect to have Atomic theory and Replacable parts, Corporation (15-20 turns or so), maybe even Electronics and espionage.
              Of course this all requires close cooperation between the DM and Pres and the FAM.

However; I am at work and can not give this question due justice.

I want to look at this more closely and look at some past saves. Aro has some good points that I want to examine.

I do want to point out that war tends to hurt AI research a bit more than it will us. We have the ability to scrape and scrounge for any last drop of commerce or production as needed. The world will be at war when we are doing this. The AI will suffer greatly.

I reserve the right to revise this in whole or part once I have more and better information, later tonight when I review the last few saves.

MSS

Comment

Funny you should mention Corporation and being shopped around a bit. It already has been. What's not so clear is which AI discovered it.

Originally posted by roadcage
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Part of the reason the AI is ahead of us in reserach is poor choice in what to reserach. Tech rate was another aspect of it though.

As I recall, we reserached to Saniatation at slightly too slow a rate.

But the reason we were beat out to Industrailization is that given we had just researched Saniation there was no way we could have researched Industrailization first. We should have instead reserached Electrcy, which we would have easily been the first to.

But after Industrailization, most of the AIs want to reserach Electrecy, and we'll be lucky if we are the first to it and in any case even if we don't sell, a second AI will discoveres it quickly.

We'll have an easier time though geting to Electronics, if we beeline for it, since the AI we be distracted by cheap techs at the top of the tree.

The bigest AI reserach power is Germany. After the war starts against them, we'll be able to make a lot of money selling techs.

Originally posted by Aro
                  Joncnunn said in another thread the AI is slightly ahead us in research. Can we beat the AI? How is our sci slider right now? I mean, much of your strategy depends of our tech lead. Can we achieve this? Or is this a question for the DM?
                  Templar Science Minister

Comment

joncnunn,

I need a way to privately contact you... you're the only person I routinely attempt to send PM's to that has your 'poly settings set so that you can't receive PM's

Please give me some way to send you private messages.

Thanks
                    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Some what off-topic but relevent

Well what an education.... I loaded up the latest save at home. I have been running 1.29f. Electricity in 4 turns. As I am running for FAM, I figured it was time to revert back to 1.21, so I reinstalled and applied the 1.21 patch. Loaded up the save and lo and behold, electricity in 1 turn.

This is good to know...

Mss

Comment

Who else is running for this post? Is it just MSS?
                        Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
                        "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

I've now turned PM settings on.

Originally posted by Arnelos
                          joncnunn,

I need a way to privately contact you... you're the only person I routinely attempt to send PM's to that has your 'poly settings set so that you can't receive PM's

Please give me some way to send you private messages.

Thanks
                          Templar Science Minister

Comment

Re: Some what off-topic but relevent

This is because starting 1.29f, the way the AI tech advantage was handeled was reveresed.

Under our current 1.21f, human research is at a constant rate, with the AI getting a research advantage at Emperor level.

Under 1.29f, AI research is at a constant rate, with the Human getting a reserach penalty on the Emperor level.

In addition, under 1.29f, the AI - AI bonus is lower than 1.21f.

This has clear implications in game play.

Originally posted by ManicStarSeed
                            Well what an education.... I loaded up the latest save at home. I have been running 1.29f. Electricity in 4 turns. As I am running for FAM, I figured it was time to revert back to 1.21, so I reinstalled and applied the 1.21 patch. Loaded up the save and lo and behold, electricity in 1 turn.

This is good to know...

Mss
                            Templar Science Minister

Comment

Re: Re: Some what off-topic but relevent

Originally posted by joncnunn
                              Under our current 1.21f, human research is at a constant rate, with the AI getting a research advantage at Emperor level.

But they still have the 4 turn cap correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X