This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFICIAL POLL: Domestic Minister Issue

Please read the following motion and then vote either yes, no, or abstain. The Court has decided that this would be the best course of action to resolve the tied election issue.

This Motion is to grant the power of The Court the right to view the voters list and who they voted for in this election only:

The Court, and only The Court, has the right to view the results of this election and the information will be kept private by The Court.

This poll will last for 3 days.
    Yes
    51.61%
    No
    35.48%
    Abstain
    12.90%

The poll is expired.

For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

May I ask what purpose the list of voters would do?

First, one may say, "well, if someone voted who is not a member of the demo game, it can be removed"

If that is the case, what member list are we using to assertain who is a member and who is not? Is it the old one (with well over 300 members)? is it the civgroup list (currently 77 members)? A combination of the two? For that matter, where does it say that non citizens cannot vote in elections (I only see laws, motions, and amendments mentioned...oversight?)?
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

UnOrthOdOx raises some good points that should probably be addressed. I know that in the currency vote many ages ago I recruited everyone I could to vote the passage down but as this was a Elective Position I purposely didn't mention it to anyone outside of the DemoGame people in order to maintain a fair election.

But that doesn't mean non-citizens shouldn't vote. I could see that going either way with my personal views leaning towards not allowing non-citizens to vote.

Citizens signed up in the original list but not the Civ-Groups list should be allowed to vote though as not everyone has caught on to the CivGroups thing.

Still, there is no guarantee that ANY non-citizens voted as the total vote was around 70% of the civ-groups membership.

Comment

Did I miss the run off election, that should have occurred from the 15-18th?

This is the quote from the Constitution:

6 If no candidate for office receives more than 50% of the vote, there shall be a run-off election held from the 15th to the 18th.
        (a) The Court shall create a run-off poll with the two candidates who received the most votes.
        7 Ties shall be resolved by the Court in any manner of their choosing.
        If I did miss it, then I don't think this poll is necessary given the extensive amount of flexibility given to the Court. The Court, based on number 7 in the quote above, has the right to resolve this in any manner, I assume that would include looking at voter records.

This is a three day poll. Then you may need several days to get what you need, review it, and decide what to do next. Next thing you know its a week down the road, and the term is 1/4 over. Just thinking about time issues, you may want to just do what you need to do and skip this poll.
        Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
        "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

Im too lazy to quote, but in a different section, it states the court can only look at the results of an election with a majority of the Senate's aproval, so they can't skip this poll. They COULD just vote amongst themselves and resolve the issue that way, however, so we can get on with life...

I fail to see how they can really use the member list in this, however, since the NewCon does not forbid non members from voting in an election, just in laws, motions, amendments, etc...

don't get me wrong, I see why they want to do it this way, but there is a bit of a loophole there, along with some time issues (getting this poll done, requesting the results, comparing it to the list(s), making a decision).

And I agree with jdjdjd about the runoff, though perhaps the fact only two candidates ran overrules that part???
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I've gotta type faster, or something....
            Un & GF are correct, in that this list may not even help you. Actually probably not even help you.

I suggest the run off if not already done.

Or that ET and GF agree in this way one steps down, the other appoints him his Vice Minister. The one who steps down gets full support of the other for next term and agrees not to run against him for that term. If you would like to discuss ET & GF, we could work out some kind of agreement/contract.

Else, something like shiek picks a number from 1 to 100 and tells the other judges, then GF and ET pick a number in private, whoever is closer wins. Keep doing it until you get a winner. I'm serious...
            Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
            "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

RockPaperScissors...worked in the PTW game...
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

1) I already said I was stepping down.

2) It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a "run off" if there were only two options in the first place. A run off is an election between the top choices having dropped the least popular choices. There are no choices to drop so there cannot be a run-off, simply a repoll. That is why there wasn't a run-off there couldn't have been one.

Comment

*NOTE: All of this is my personal opinion. As the ConCon has completed it's work, it is effectively (as far as I know) dissolved, and (as such) my statements are worth no more than any other citizens, except perhaps in regard to any insight into the intentions of the writers of NewCon *

Under the New CoL, any citizen may vote. Personally, I'd define a citizen as anyone who registered in either location, since citizenship cannot be removed from someone once they already have it. In the future, I'd be happy to consider vote for a one line amendment making the old signup thread obsolete, but I think it's too soon to do that.

I believe that, under NewCon, only citizens may vote in elections. That was def. my intent, and I don't believe the other authors intended to specifically include elections from the list of things requiring citizenship. I'd have to review the exact language of certain segments before putting together a case that I could take to the court, but if nothing else, Article 3 Section 5(a) would support that, as Section 5a would be subject to the guidelines of Section 5 in places where it does not specifically declare otherwise.

Furthermore, I urge everyone to grant the court the right I maintain that the court cannot take any action until it can state that the election is completely valid, and that there is a tied number of valid votes. If this does not resolve the dispute, then the court should obviously take other action, but in the meanwhile it is imperative that the court take the first logical step towards resolving this dispute -- ensuring that there [i]is[/] a legal dispute. The court has my full support in this regard.

-- adaMada
                  Civ 3 Democracy Game:
                  PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
                  Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

A runoff would be pointless with only two candidates

Comment

The runoff debate is tricky.

I don't believe that the ConCon specifically discussed if Runoffs should apply to two person elections. Having said that, under the current wording, it could. Section six, taken literally, means that we need to have a runoff. Section seven, taken literally, means that the court may decide. As it is up to the court to resolve a conflict within the CoL, the court decides either way .

The main reasoning for a runoff between two canidates would be to allow the Senate to have one last chance at resolving the issue themselves. Dispite first appearences, this would not be pointless. In principle, ANY solution whereas the Senate resolves the tie is much better than any solution where the court resolves it, from a balance of power perspective. The judicial selecting the executive is a flawed notion -- once which I supported in NewCon because there existed no better venue for solving a crisis. Having said that, the court may feel it unresponsible to plunge the nation into a greater crisis by risking a second tie, which would also be a responsibility it would have to consider. Either way, it is pointless for us to debate the issue here. Either option is legal, should the court decide to take it, and members of the court are aware of the merits of both sides.

Ghengis -- I'm not sure I disagree with you, but it is possible, under our CoL, to have a runoff with two cannidates. The way the runoff clause is worded, it just is. Though this might not be a 'true' runoff in real life, in the context of this game it is allowed -- and it is up to the court as to if the runoff passage, which calls for a runoff even in two person elections (though perhaps that is not deliberate) superceedes the 'court resolves ties' passage.

Again, a 'recount' of the votes is, by far, the most sensible solution. Le'ts see if we have a true constitutional crisis before resorting to emergency measures. It is the logical, responsible first for the court to take in this matter, and again I'd urge everyone to support it.

-- adaMada
                      Civ 3 Democracy Game:
                      PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
                      Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

1) I already said I was stepping down.
                        GhengisFarb, I was not aware that you had decided to officially step down. If you want to step down then either post it here officially so The Court can be positive that this is what you want or PM me.

Before you make an official decision I need to tell you that the number of valid votes has not been determined for this election yet and that it is possible at this time for either you or E_T to win.
                        For your photo needs:

Sell your photos

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik
                          GhengisFarb, I was not aware that you had decided to officially step down. If you want to step down then either post it here officially so The Court can be positive that this is what you want or PM me.

Before you make an official decision I need to tell you that the number of valid votes has not been determined for this election yet and that it is possible at this time for either you or E_T to win.
                          I stated in the Election thread that I intended to stand down. Aggie has been informed and E_T is continuing with the duties. The main reason we are going through with this is so we can determine if the court can handle a tied election. So far the court hasn't been able to resolve the situation but this is the first time it has had to deal with it.

If it is determined that I won the election (I highly doubt this will be the result) then I am prepared to serve, but if is extremely close then I would suggest E_T be allowed to continue. If I do win, I plan on trying to convince E_T to continue doing the CP portion at least as he has been doing it for a while and there is no since in disrupting the build queus.

Comment

Thank You.
                            For your photo needs:

Sell your photos

Comment

The problem I'm kind of having is the timeliness (or lack thereof) of this poll. Although the court might have required a few days to figure out what exactly it was going to do, IMHO, this poll should have been posted a few days earlier and have gotten this ball started rolling.

E_T
                              Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                              Worship the Comic here!
                              Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Working...
                              X