War Academy: Operation: Staging Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Academy: Operation: Staging Point

We want to cut all roads connecting Berlin to the rest of the German empire during the first turn of war using explorers. In order for an explorer to cut a road in Germany, it may move up to 5 tiles so it remains with at least a fraction of a movement point, which is just enough to pillage a road.
    The problem is that not all the roads leading to Germany are in range. The solution - Operation: Staging Point.
    I suggest that we establish a temporary city in the marked spot. If we invest a little in culture we can penetrate into Germany's territory and increase our explorers' range to include all the roads connecting Berlin.

I'm looking forward to comments and suggestions!
    Attached Files
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

As you can see in the illustration above, what we can hope to achieve is control of the tile NW of the highlighted tile (where we should build the city). I'm unsure if we'll gain control of that tile immediately after building the city, or after accumulating 10 culture points or even 100 culture points, but I know that it's damn worth it. If we can disconnect Germany's capital during the first turn of the war, we can make this war a lot easier!
    - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Prposed city site is known as Napoleton Corner in Mission Reiseling lingo.

Berlin is influence level 4. Frankfurt and Stuttgart are approaching if not already influence level 4. I hold out little hopes, however all it costs is one settler, and a temple rush..This was considered early on in Mission Reiseling planning, but droped due to fear of extreme flaming from the CP boys. ie What, another Palace Centric City closer than a lot of good cities?......

Since the current snail like force structure buildout keeps pushing D-Turn into the future, we will probably know if it works before we Assault. So why not try!

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
      I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

I'm pretty sure that we would get that NW tile immediately, and certain we would get it after culture level 10.

edit: spelling
        Last edited by Panzer32; November 16, 2002, 19:12.
        Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
        King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
        ---------
        May God Bless.

Comment

If we do this we need a settler. Basis the 1010 save, the nearby cities would waste lots of shields to switch. Only place to build one that can reach city site in reasonable # of turns is Ghengistown. It's got 1 turn (of 4 into a cannon) and would be 1 turn (of 3 into a settler). Ghengistown has several unused irrigated tiles so settler rush with switch to max food would have the size back to current very quickly. Since the city tiles are already overdeveloped vs its pop, some of the workers there could be re-directed to connect the proposed city site to our trade network.

Imagining we get lucky and control both the ne and nw tiles, our bombard forces would be 1 turn closer to Hamburg and Stuttgart. If we had Arty, we could lob rounds from our own territory! Sweet! Fortresses would be cool.

Comment

In ET's WF allocation chart, tiles 1 (irr, rd, grass, German), 2 (hill, German), 3 (Mt, English, not positive on this as I don't have the game right now and can't see how close the English city is), 7 (Mt, IRON, rd, German) and 8 (hill, German) would all become ours instantly. The inner city radius (the first 8 tiles around a city) automaticly become part of the new cities usable radius unless one of the inner tiles are inner tiles for another city. If the mt tile controled by England is an inner tile to an English city, then we will not take it. Second level city radius tiles will go to us if they are not second level tiles to another city. In this case, rushing a temple in this proposed city would only have the effect of giving it a better change of not culture flipping. IMHO a temple is not needed for this manuever.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

hi ,

there should be a road in the "staging point"

, what about other small staging points , ......

what about building a city there , .....

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Btw, how do you guys like my graphics? (referring to the picture attached to the top post)
                - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Shiber - they will suffice, they get the job done and that's all you need .
                  Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                  Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber
                    Btw, how do you guys like my graphics? (referring to the picture attached to the top post)
                    hi ,

thats great , huh , would it be possible to make a slightly bigger map complete with maybe some possible invasion corridors et all , ........

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Is your version of Civ III incompatible with the posted saved games? If it isn't, the best solution would be to just download the save and load it and then see everything for yourself.
                      I find that looking at the save yourself far beats looking at maps that other people made. It's more convenient and you can look at other stats too.
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Depends on the plan. Staging Point (so far atleast)makes no attempt to identify multi-turn positions over the life of the campaign. At that level, the provided map is more than adequate. But yes, folks could just as easily load up the save.

Reiseling does attempt to identify turn positions atleast thru turn D-Turn + 2. It is extremely difficult to visualize the future turn positions without a set of maps to mark up. And hence it is easy to make movement errors. I know, because the first edit of the plan was for the Grand Army to go around a hill instead of across it.!

Enough of maps. I want to talk of the risks with Staging Point. The stated objective is to be able to isolate Berlin on turn 1. Is it possible? Yes! Is it likely, No!

For the plan to attain it's objective, all 8 of Berlin's tier 1 tiles must be pillagable on turn 1. 3 of the 8 tiles could be cleansed by other forces much like in Reiseling. The remaining 5 tier 1 tiles must be empty for success because none of our attack forces can reach those tiles to cleanse them. Considering that the plan could be executing while Otto is kicking off a RR campaign, I find it extremely unlikely that all 8 tier 1 tiles will be vulnerable.

roadcage

Comment

Good point there, but the risk is still worth it. Nothing is as fun as fighting a powerful adversary such as Germany and disconnecting them from all strategic sources and luxuries on turn 1 and then watching as their production line reaches a halt.
                          If we can't do this on turn 1 then we can do it in two turns, though the greatest advantage of this plan would be lost - if we disconnect them immediately after we declare war they can't switch cities to military units, while if we allow them one turn of war with access to their strategic resources they can switch some cities to military units and finish the units even after we disconnect Berlin.
                          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Which cities that are FP centric would find themselves with more corruption and waste (and how much) while this city is in existanace?
                            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                            Templar Science Minister
                            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I think that Staging Point would be Palace Centric. But in any event, ask E_T for corruption impacts. I don't think it will be a big deal as the city shouold not last very long.

Comment

Working...
                              X