Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unofficial: What wars would you support? (last try, really!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E_T

We currently have some cannons in the Works.

ET_
    Glad to hear it. We're gonna need 'em...
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
      If this poll passes (which seems likely),
      This poll is strictly unofficial; (Perhaps I should have emphasized that more, but it is in the thread title. ) I only wanted to see if there really was popular support before the War Academy thread got carried away.

Seperate polls for actual declaration of war would have to be set up. It currently looks like Germany and England are the only two acceptable targets, but I'm sure many have yet to vote.

Comment

I believe that it is not in our best interest to go and conquer other nations at the time. Any potential gains would be nullified by the increased amount of corruption and waste.

The only war I would support at the moment would be a war against Russia. And, the only goal of that war would be to take Krasnoyarsk, just so we don't have that one city in the middle of our territory.

Comment

Kill them all!
          Duddha: I will return...
          Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
          "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
          Free California!

Comment

If the time is right for world war, why don't we drag the whole world in with us?

Too bad the Japanese Chinese and Indians are not really part of the greater Apolytonian continent; they are not of much use to us in a world war.

Let me search my Shadow Service records, I remember commissioning several agents to the German area, and I also recall several people opposing the reports they came back with, stating that the Germans are preparing for war with us.

How interesting is that? My early warnings went unheeded when the Germans had just begun to build their military to it's present size, and now that they are powerful they want to send our boys into war! Alas, I shall support this war nonetheless, but remember, the Shadow Service was there long ago!

Regardless, in these interests I shall furnish the Apolytonian Army with horses, iron, and able fighting men from my own Shadow Service ranks to accompany our soldiers into battle.... ONE word of caution though, do not swing your axe or fire your rifle those figures who travel in the shadows, for my men are trained to be silent and invisible like shadows themselves.

Should my men suffer friendly-fire casualties there may be hell to pay, so be forewarned.
            Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
            Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
              In Civ III, I'm not sure what the point of a pure defensive war is unless the oppoent is on some other land mass.

If they are on your own land mass, they will quickly committ all their resources against you. If you beat off this attack, it's a realitive cake walk to roll up their empire.

Sure, we can have the first stage of these wars on our boarder city inside our cultural boundary if we want to, but after we successfuly beat off that attack, go take their cities.
              I'll tell you what the point is... The point is that if we were to attack, say, Germany and they brought in an ally against us, we should IMO stay focused on the German attack and not incite more war weariness among our people by going on the offensive against a new enemy or spread our attack too thinly. Rather, we should stay on focus and finish the first conflict which is a "offensive" campaign and simply push back the attacks of the new ally against our homeland; thus, we have an offensive war and a "defensive" war going on at the same time.

This is something we haven't had to experience before because the forces arrayed against us were not nearly so well organized or powerful enough to really threaten Apolytonian lands.
              "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by ruby_maser

I'll tell you what the point is... The point is that if we were to attack, say, Germany and they brought in an ally against us, we should IMO stay focused on the German attack and not incite more war weariness among our people by going on the offensive against a new enemy or spread our attack too thinly. Rather, we should stay on focus and finish the first conflict which is a "offensive" campaign and simply push back the attacks of the new ally against our homeland; thus, we have an offensive war and a "defensive" war going on at the same time.

This is something we haven't had to experience before because the forces arrayed against us were not nearly so well organized or powerful enough to really threaten Apolytonian lands.
                This entire issue can be circumvented with this thing called an "alliance", should the public actually support the formation of such odd things...

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
                  This entire issue can be circumvented with this thing called an "alliance"
                  I think our border is too precarious to assume an alliance will buffer us from an attack against our homeland
                  "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

I've never thought of myself as a peace-lover (in Civ that is ), but I really don't see the game play benefit (opposed to 'movement towards victory'). We're already bridging on becoming so powerful that it's not all that fun. For me it's not peacetime that's boring, but rather tedious wars that I know I'm going to win. Let’s face it someone who has play 3 games of Civ could win any of these wars.

Yet it looks like whether or not we go to war isn’t even really an issue, just with whom and how.

Comment

If we do go to war I say we intentionally take on 3+ civs at the same time... at least that would be a challenge

Comment

Randolph speaks in terms parallel to the Hawk Party sentiments. let us take three nations on! who can defeat us? none! the English and German Empires have been building on land set aside for us by the Great Banana, and we must appease the banana's thirst for war!

World War is on the horizon, we must take the appropriate steps...
                        Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                        Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Originally posted by Meshelic
                          Randolph speaks in terms parallel to the Hawk Party sentiments. let us take three nations on! who can defeat us? none! the English and German Empires have been building on land set aside for us by the Great Banana, and we must appease the banana's thirst for war!

World War is on the horizon, we must take the appropriate steps...
                          And dare I say it while I'm running for Foreign Affairs Minister, but THIS is precisely what makes people scared to join your party

Personally, I would oppose any war with more than one enemy civ at at time if we can possibly avoid it. There's no reason to give our enemies an unecessary advantage simply for kicks... that is a WEAKNESS entirely ill-suited to the true hegemon.

Comment

hi ,

we should build our cities a bit further , modernise the army , make a cash reserve , and then BANG , we nail them , .... all of them

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

The problem with a delay now is that Germany is currently the fastest researching AI.

The more turns we wait, the fewer turns of attacking we can do before Infentry comes onto the scene and wars have to wait for Tanks. Given that Germany gets Panzers, that is also a bad time to go attacking them. Besides which, Germany gets to build Panzers before we can build Tanks.

We need to take them out now. (At least to the point where they we never be a major science power again.)
                              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                              Templar Science Minister
                              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

No more war , we should stop for now and try to get on our feet first !

Comment

Working...
                                X