Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unofficial: What wars would you support? (last try, really!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial: What wars would you support? (last try, really!)

Pretty basic question, really: against which Civs, if any, would you support war? I've included some far-out options like Rome; I figured I'd include them for the heck of it.

Remember that anyone might be able to pull in allies. Any war with the Zulu would be an intercontinental invasion, but it will probably be a while before they get Riflemen (whereas other Civs already have Nationalism or are close to it), as they still need Chemistry in their quest for the Industrial Age.

And this time, I included a "None" option.

Poll lasts 5 days.
    Germany
    23.64%
    Greece
    13.64%
    England
    19.09%
    Rome
    6.36%
    Russia
    7.27%
    Zulu
    12.73%
    No more war! :doitnow: Give peace a chance!
    17.27%

The poll is expired.

Limited war against England and Germany or no war at all.....
    So many pedestrians, so little time

Comment

Otto, Liz, Shaka & Alex, in that order.

E_T
      Come and see me at WePlayCiv
      Worship the Comic here!
      Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

I'm not sure if we'll have time to finish off those three powers before infantry. (The Zulu are backwards and can wait while we get in some more pre-infantry bashing on Abanaba.) Unless, of course, all three ally against us, in which case we have very different problems on our hands.

Nevertheless, I would support war with anyone on this list except Rome and Russia. However, I think Greece should be left for last (and delayed till Tanks if they get Infantry). Their territory isn't gonna be productive for us anytime soon, and Germany is more powerful anyway. (And England's cities would be fairly productive thanks to the FP.)

Comment

roleplay

Ssgt roadcage (retired) put on his uniform today so he could give a proper salute to that great leader Khufu. The leader was here in Macross City for the express purpose of forming a grand Apolytonian Army. Khufu had opened a recruitment office just down the street from roadcage's retirement home and he planned to report in and plead his case for re-enlistment. Roadcage had to struggle since many turns of civilian life with his beloved Y'vette had increased his girth above the fighting weight he had so carefully maintained over his entire active career.

Yes, it had been a good career. Roadcage had been built to warrior specifications in the Capitol city of Apolyton, soon after the completion of the barracks. He had been in the stacks of the first American conflict, but saw no action. He had been upgraded to swordsman specifications just prior to the First French campaign, and was in the thick of things and earned his elite hitpoint with the capture of the french town now known as Macross City. He remained garrisoned there just long enough to fall in love, marry and put a WC into the build queue. Then it was off to the mysterious far east and the Persian front. He saw much action in Persia and notched several victories as an Elite, but the gods had not smiled upon his efforts. He had been there when his fellow in arms had spawned Cheops, but that was long ago and far away. After the conclusion of the Persian campaign, he had been temporarily garisoned in the former Persian town now known as Muncie. Eventually, his period of enlistment ended and rather than re-up he had returned to Macross City and the love of his life Y'vette.

So today, Ssgt roadcage (retired) began his journey to the house that Khufu built to see if a Swordsman, master of the edge elite status, bedecked with the scars and medals of campaigns of yesteryear, could join the great one in his quest. A quest denied him and granted to others by the rules of chance.

The sun beat down upon roadcage as he approached the recruiting station, and he was grateful for the brim on the cap of his ceremonial uniform. He entered briskly with a flair almost by instinct for it had been many many turns since his mustering out. And behold, there in the vestibule was none other than the Great Lord Khufu!

Khufu sprang up, approached and said, "Oh elite swordsman, why do you come to my station today?"

"To join you in your quest for glory sir", replied roadcage.

"Alas it will never be, for I expect to fill my Army with Cavalry. The blitz capability could make all the difference. But who knows, each unit in my Army must be a volunteer, and my quest may not interest the new pony boys. Lets see if you can qualify just in case."

"Will you follow me faithfully to Berlin?", and roadcage replied "by your command"

"Will you follow me faithfully to Athens?", and roadcage replied "by your command"

"Will you follow me faithfully to London?", and roadcage replied "by your command"

"Will you follow me faithfully to Rome?", and roadcage replied "by your command"

"Will you follow me faithfully to Moscow?", and roadcage replied "by your command"

"Will you follow me faithfully to Zimbabewe?", and roadcage replied "by your command"

"Will you follow me faithfully to wherever the hoomans direct me?", and roadcage replied "such is the obligation of Duty, Honor, and Country I first declared that fateful turn on the Apolyton barracks steps and repeat here today"

"Thank you roadcage, your answers are all correct. You are truly qualified to join my Army, but I still want to fill the slots with Cavalry. I hope you understand. Oh, one other thing, your name is somehow familiar to me."

"Are you the Sword that captured Macross City?", to which roadcage replied, "That was long ago Sir"

"No roadcage, I salute you Sir. You faced a worthy foe. A top of the line spear at the time" At Avignon, I also faced a spear, but in todays terms an outdated unsuitable enemy. Your courage was far greater than mine"

/roleplay

edit (forgot Moscow)
          Last edited by roadcage; November 12, 2002, 12:04.
          I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

I think we should Annex England before Germany. And after annexing Germany annex Greece.
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

War when? I think it would be a good idea to conquer all of Abananaba Major or the southern half of it + Abananaba Minor by the end of the game, but no wars anytime soon.

Comment

These wars need to start now before Infentry appears.

Those latest trade deals we made with these candidates were a mistake.

But perhaps we can just repeately offer them a deal they consider insulting until they declare war without the rep hit?
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

If we fight ANY wars, they need to be divide and conquer. Go afer ONE AT AT TIME. We could even sign alliances with some AI civs against our one target... then sign alliances against the next target (who could even have been allied with us against the first).

I don't want to go up against a huge AI MPP-block
                  Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                  Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                  7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

The time of going it alone in war is rapidly coming to an end. Alliances, MPPs and even trade embargoes IMHO will reflect how certain nations will gang up on others. We need to be apart of this... pick carefully and weigh our option but not isolate ourselves and lose the advantage/necessary evil (you pick...) of allies.

Our nearest neighbors need to go, but Germany's the most critical, I think, as I don't like the idea of their having a profitable golden age in the near future being that:
                    (a.) they are the tech leader and this will only boost that
                    (b.) they will sell those techs and proliferate knowledge... we should be doing that
                    (c.) (I believe) they have Copernicus close by, and it should be at the very least taken away if not milked into a great city of our own
                    (d.) their UU is a future threat to us... more so than the Man'o Wars or Hoplites anyway

but we must do this knowing fully that they may bring someone else in against us and we must prepare for that. I'm not advocating attacking whoever they might bring in unless they have assets nearby for the taking; I am advocating a conflict where a defensive war might well play a role.
                    "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

In Civ III, I'm not sure what the point of a pure defensive war is unless the oppoent is on some other land mass.

If they are on your own land mass, they will quickly committ all their resources against you. If you beat off this attack, it's a realitive cake walk to roll up their empire.

Sure, we can have the first stage of these wars on our boarder city inside our cultural boundary if we want to, but after we successfuly beat off that attack, go take their cities.
                      Templar Science Minister

Comment

Btw... with the odds being cavalry ALONE -vs- riflemen...

We're going to need TONS AND TONS of cannons...

If this poll passes (which seems likely), I heavily suggest that the CP (and then the Domestic Minister) concentrate on building us a nice artillery corps of plenty of cannons (along with mobile riflemen stacks to defend the cannon stacks while in enemy territory).
                        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

On why annex (most of) England first instead of Germany:

The main portion of England currently has two neighbors, Germany and us.

Germany has 4 neighbors. In realtive order:
                          Aztecs
                          England
                          Apolyton
                          Greece

(Perhaps part of Persia as well)

From a defensive stand point, it's much easier to defend Germany if we don't have England to worry about.

The same reasoning is why I'm against war with both Rome and Russia. Unless they need to be punished, we are best off waiting for one of Rome, Russia, and Babylon to annex the other two and then jump on the winner or else declare war on all three at the same time.
                          (Jumping on the winner while he is weak is much prefered.)
                          Templar Science Minister

Comment

Let us finish what we started. Germany has betrayed us, they stabbed us in the back, attempting to take advantage of our offensive in France, (I should know, I was acting president at the time) let us bring their nation under our influence in order to show all the world that you cannot expect to stab our mighty nation in the back and prosper from that act. Send Bismark to the far reaches of the globe to cower in fear alongside his friend Xerxes while each attempts to carve out some form of pathetic existance.
                            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
                              Btw... with the odds being cavalry ALONE -vs- riflemen...

We're going to need TONS AND TONS of cannons...

If this poll passes (which seems likely), I heavily suggest that the CP (and then the Domestic Minister) concentrate on building us a nice artillery corps of plenty of cannons (along with mobile riflemen stacks to defend the cannon stacks while in enemy territory).
                              We currently have some cannons in the Works.

ET_
                              Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                              Worship the Comic here!
                              Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Working...
                              X