Science spending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My recommendation:

We remain on our present course until Printing Press is discovered. We have a plan in motion to aquire Banking. Once we have learned Printing Press, we start on Democracy and increase Science Funding at that time.

--Togas
    Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
    Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
    Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
    Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

probably somewhat OT

OK here are the results, unfortunatly less accurate than I had hoped.

The next culturally advanced civ is England.

They have about 7/8ths of our culture, from what I measured on the historograph thing.

They have 13 cities, we have 37 cities.

If we used 1/8th of our culture as 1 culture point, we have 0.22 culture/city, and they have 0.54 culture/city.

(Just thought I'd let you know...)
      Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
      King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
      ---------
      May God Bless.

Comment

-Well, i know i exaggerated and my data weren't accurate enough, i also noticed the fact that another 10% or 20% won't help us now, on that i can agree, sorry for the seemingly overconfidence...
        as Thud said, i think the best we can do is to increase the funding as soon as we finsh with printing press. By the time we finish it, the costs of researching the techs will be small compared to the growing cost of buying the techs, and tech acquisition war good for the time being, but we'd face some tougher and better equiped rivals, with muskets and large cities, and no hope in site for Military tradition in the next 20 turns, am i right?

I totally agree with Thud, we don't need the libraries to make research profitable, and i hope some cost/profit calculations can prove this, and i'll try to work something out.
        Save the rainforests!
        Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

Based on these stats, stay with the current 0% research until Printing Press discovered.

Then stop the turn when this happens so we can compare ratios.

With regard to building of libaries & science rate:

The northern portion of the Persian annexation needs culture buildings as does the area around Aztec occuplied america.

For the other cities, Market Places takes precedence. With the increased revenue from them everywhere, we would be able to afford a higher percentage of our income going to science.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Please review the City Council thread about a very relevant discussion.

What is most important for science, a few libraries over a few cathedrals, or a larger population?

The cathedrals and markets make us able to have a larger population, thus generating more money, more science, etc.

Courthouses reduce corruption for both shields and money. Making construction faster, and gaining more potential for science and cash. More cash means more purchasing of structures and units.

Acuaducts allow us to go from size 6 to size 12. If corruption is not rampent, the increase in pop does more than a 50% bonus.

In other words, we are looking at the current situation, and not ignoring the future, but planning a foundation so that the future will be possible and glorious.
            If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Originally posted by Duddha

Foolish Culture Club ideas
              Hi duddha, I disagree.

I can see you are carrying your hatchet in a high positure.
              Well, it looks like my campaign is virtually over,
              so why don't we bury the hatchet for now?
              My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

Marketplaces are almost as important as libraries in science terms. They increase our profits, alowing us to give more spending to research. They also make more people happy when there are more than 2 luxeries, and this frees up entertainers to be scientists or work the land, increasing production and trace.

IMO, we should build marketplaces before libraries because the effect would be immediate, as where with libraries, we would need to increase the science rate for them to take effect.
                Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
                King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
                ---------
                May God Bless.

Comment

Working...
                X