Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The time of overseas exploration is nearly upon us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have NEVER seen a galley be lost at sea after Nav. Don't get my original post wrong. I'm all for building the Four Galleys of Quest but I am for positioning them on the shore and keep them there until we get Nav, then send them out.
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Caravels

Galleys can never traverse ocean squares safely, even after Navigation. Only Caravels (available after Astronomy) or better ships can do that.
      Caravels cost 40 shields to build (10 shields more than galleys do). Alternatively, we can upgrade our single galley in the harbor of BHQ (will cost 40 gold) to save some on costs.
      By all means, this should not deter us from building ships to scout out for the lost civs! The benefits will be enormous!
      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Donegeal, once we get Astronomy we can move them to the sea (safely) and gain a headstart of one turn.
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Re: Caravels

Originally posted by Shiber
          Galleys can never traverse ocean squares safely, even after Navigation.
          It doesn't matter what kind of ship you have; just what tech you have. Galleys can cross ocean with Navigation or Magnetism. I haven't personally done this, since I always upgrade my ships to at least caravels by the time navigation rolls around, but I've seen AI galleys out in the middle of the ocean, and it's programmed not to take risks with its ships.

I think we should build several ships for this venture. Maybe just three instead of four, but the potential benefits are too great to pass up, especially since we can make good guesses at locations for the lost continent, something the AI can't do.

Comment

Kloreep- i am quite sure that the civilopedia clearly states that in no case galleys can safely traverse ocean, only sea, after astronomy or navigation, so, we can send our galleys after we discover astronomy, with some chance they would pass the ocean blockade and find us some decent continent to trade with it's inhabitants. I'm in favor of this plan, and i think an expeditionary navy of 4 galleys won't hinder our economy that badly.
            Save the rainforests!
            Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

I'm pretty sure galleys can cross oceans with navigation, but I wont swear to it as I always upgrade mine. I've seen the ai send them out in the ocean though post-navigation to serve as ferries for invading troops, and ive seen somewhere a comment by soren that the ai never sends its ships on suicide missions.

-----

Oh and I agree that we should invest in a minimum of 3 ships, and Ill leave it to our elected officials better judgement as to where is best to build from and explore to first.

-----
              Oh and I assume the way we profit from being first is making all the trades we can with the foreign civs, then selling contact? The other ai civs will make contact anyways pretty soon on their own if we buy navigation from them.

Comment

When Navigation is available, I think that, within limits, we must do our best to attempt to purchase it, and then we must build two or more Galleons, garrisoned with either explorers or musketmen (if we have Gunpowder by the time of the discovery), and we should send them somewhere to the east of the Persian coast. I suggest the Persian coast because it would seem logical that the Zulu would be nearer to the (remnants) of the Persians, as far as distance than to any other civilization in existence.
                Empire growing,
                Pleasures flowing,
                Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

We must try to find the missing civs as soon as possible. The rewards of finding them first are great!

Of course, we shouldn't expect to get too much from them. There's only 4 missing civs and they're probably technologially backwards, and low on cash.

Comment

Originally posted by History Guy
                    When Navigation is available, I think that, within limits, we must do our best to attempt to purchase it, and then we must build two or more Galleons, garrisoned with either explorers or musketmen (if we have Gunpowder by the time of the discovery), and we should send them somewhere to the east of the Persian coast. I suggest the Persian coast because it would seem logical that the Zulu would be nearer to the (remnants) of the Persians, as far as distance than to any other civilization in existence.
                    Actually the Persians, Babylonians, and Zulu are all Mid East, while Russia, England, and France are all European, and NONE of them are anywhere near each other (Zulu aren't even on the continent with the other Mid East) so I think the culturally linked concept is useless in this case.

Comment

Re: Caravels

Originally posted by Shiber
                      Galleys can never traverse ocean squares safely, even after Navigation. Only Caravels (available after Astronomy) or better ships can do that.
                      Sorry - you're wrong about that. Galleys (and Caravels) =can= travel on Ocean squares safely with Navigation.

---------------
                      I already posted this in this thread:

I think there is another continent North-East of the English City of Warwick. Look at the sea and ocean tiles.

Let's build some ships ASAP. We'll get Astronomy in a few turns, and when we do, the ships should already be in position. A RoP with England may be necessary.

With Astronomy, we can safely travel on sea squares with our Galleys. And we'll be able to build Caravels.

Remember: the profits that we can make from First Contact with the Lost Civs are HUGE.
                      Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Re: Re: Caravels

Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
                        I think there is another continent North-East of the English City of Warwick. Look at the sea and ocean tiles.
                        If there WAS a continent connected to Britain by sea they sould have already made contact.

Comment

Maybe they are just lousy sailors ? ;-)

More seriously - they might not have had the resources to send a ship.
                          Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Like Genghis here, I doubt that the other civilizations are near Warwick if Liz isn't trying to give us rotten deals for buying communications with Mao, Shaka, Tokugawa, Gandhi, and that bunch of stinkers.

In some ways, it's a good thing that these guys are all on another continent, eh?
                            Empire growing,
                            Pleasures flowing,
                            Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Re: Re: Caravels

Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
                              Sorry - you're wrong about that. Galleys (and Caravels) =can= travel on Ocean squares safely with Navigation.
                              I should have known... the Civilopedia is everything but accurate. I should have tested this myself before I said so.
                              Anyway, I tested it now and you're absolutely right. Thanks for correcting me!
                              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Working...
                              X