Strategy for the American campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy for the American campaign

I think it's pretty obvious why we want to attack America some time after we're done with Persia: 4 more incense, 1 more iron, flood plains with wheat and a chance to use our War Chariots against American archers to initiate a Golden Age (if you've been following the GA disucssions you'll know that this is our best chance to get a GA in the game).
    The question is, how are we going to handle the Americans? Which cities to attack first? Which units to use? Etc'.
    I've started this thread so everyone can post his suggestions and thoughts regarding these issues. I'll begin:

* First city to attack: Chicago, because if we have to end the war prematurely, at least we'll get the extra incense tiles.
    * Units to use: send a stack of two knights and two or three War Chariots, followed by pikemen (to garrison cities after we capture them). The knights will fight the American spearmen, while the WCs will be reserved for battles against American archers, which they can easily win and thereby trigger a GA. After the GA is triggered, move the WCs into a city and upgrade them to knights, and then continue to sweep over America.
    Last edited by Shiber; September 26, 2002, 10:06.
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

I was just reading on the GA over in the General forum, and Most are saying that captured Wonders do count, sorta.

If you capture a wonder it will not initiate a GA. However, if you HAVE captured one that fills a trait, THEN build one that fills the second trait, it WILL trigger the GA. I could link you to about 70 posts on the topic, but am being a bit lazy at the moment. Just thought I would put this out there in case we somehow capture Pyramids first.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

IMHO we're building the Sistine and taking Persepolis this turnchat, so we'll know in a few hours.
      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Assault order:

1)Washington
        2)Chicago

3)Death Blow/Mop Up

Comment

I thought the major assult on Persepolis was next turn chat due to the forces needed to recover from their last assult.

Well, if we don't want to chance having a GA now and want to wait for America, we have to build Sistine Chapel first.

(The sort of count would result in us getting a GA the next time we build any Wonder at all after aquiring Persepolis.)

Now back to the "offical topic" of this thread.

Why not send ALL War Chariots after America along with some Knights. Either use one of the WCs against an archer/long bowmen or else a weakned spearman.
          After the first WC wins, upgrade all of them to Knights.

Knights can do double duty as defense until Gunpowder is discovered.

Just be sure to have a couple of defense units on the French (and other) borders in case we get betrayed again.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

First trade them something for all they have. It should be a one time deal, no per turn trades. If we obligate ourselves to providing say...dyes, we will take a reputation hit.

then, I think we should use overwheamling force taking america out of the game in a single turn. This will keep them from dragging anyone else into the war. I still need to look at the save and verify this as a possibility.

Hell, we can even make an alliance with the aztecs and wipe out the americans ourselves. They will love us for it.

Mss
            Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

Manic, that's a great idea! We can position fast units at the borders of every city and then destroy America in one turn!
              Regarding the alliance, what's interesting is that the Aztecs will pay us to ally against America, and maybe other civs will ally and pay us as well. This has to be checked before we attack America so that we don't miss any opportunities.
              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

ooh i like the idea... but do we have enough mobile units to crack into american cities in one turn? how many will we need (probably 3 per city to be safe).
                :-p

Comment

though im sad to hear our military campaign will go on after persia... but america will be short anyway..

does ur reputation get affected if you sign military alliance while you are at peace with the target?

if so, i guess we have to cancel peace treaty then sign alliance.....

Comment

Don't forget France is also a likely target.
                    Duddha: I will return...
                    Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
                    "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
                    Free California!

Comment

We would certainly need a lot of mobile units. The Americans have 4 cities and we'll need to cover them all, and put enough units in each stack to be able to assure that we destroy the Americans in the first turn of the war.
                      Let's hope that New York flips by the time we get to dealing with America. This will make the task much easier.
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Anyway, the ManicStarSeed's idea is really good! We can do this with some planning; 12 units (including the war chariots), according Calc II, can do the job. We have now four Knights and four WC's. With granaries, we’ll grow fast, and our production too.
                        Moreover, we will trigger our GA!
                        RIAA sucks
                        The Optimistas
                        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I'll have a more detailed post another day, but I chatted with Aggie about the general topic of war with America, and he also was thinking something in the range of ten units or so if I recall correctly.

-- adaMada
                          Civ 3 Democracy Game:
                          PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
                          Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

Originally posted by Aro
                            Anyway, the ManicStarSeed's idea is really good! We can do this with some planning; 12 units (including the war chariots), according Calc II, can do the job. We have now four Knights and four WC's. With granaries, we’ll grow fast, and our production too.
                            Moreover, we will trigger our GA!
                            excellent, we dont have to divert more resource into military as it is for this to be successful

But to be on the safe side, I propose 4 each, (if there is 3 garrison and one unit to make room for casualty) this doesnt necesarily have to make total of 16 mobile units, I'll take a look into map and decide how many units can be consider what I call "swing units" swing units are basically placed in position so that it can attack 2 targets. So if city A was captured with only 3 mobile unit, the swing unit can forget about going to city A and be used for in case emergency agst City B. but if city A encountered difficulty and lost a unit, swing unit can fill in for the unexpected casualty. This will require a bit of surveying map and assessing terrain around america.

wat are we gonna do with foot soldiers? sworsmen will quickly become obsolete. as we encounter longbows and calvary. They are not upgradable so we'll have to use them up in campaign or disband them.

Comment

Seems good, Calc II. I'll try to have a detailed map of America tomorrow, and I'll post a thumbnail and a link here.
                              RIAA sucks
                              The Optimistas
                              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Working...
                              X