No announcement yet.

Public Opinion Poll (Unofficial): The New Great Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Each turn he isn't used is a turn where we can't get anymore GL's. We need to use him ASAP. 5 turns is way too long to be unable to get another GL.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
      I haven't a map here and can't confirm it, but leaders have a movement of 3 (or 9 roaded tiles). I can't imagine that Ubergorsk is so far away that it can't be reached in at most 2 turns over the roads.
      Exactly two turns:
      Attached Files
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Sir Ralph: you are absolutely correct. He can reach Ubergorsk in two turns with no movement points and then rush at the start of the third turn (so we'll lose two turns of possibilities for a GL). However, it is possible that if he takes this route he'll be open to attack from a Persian unit, possibly an immortal. We don't really know what's in there, the whole area is covered with fog of war!

I'd like to make the following suggestion: first, move the knight that's currently stationed NW NW of Willsbury one tile North. If he sees any Persian units then we'll have to move Cheops through the jungle route*, where there is no fog of war. Otherwise, move him through the road system.

* I believe it will take our friend Cheops five turns to cross the Jungle and reach Ubergorsk and he'll have one movement point left, meaning he'll be able to rush the Chapel that turn, so effectively, we only lose the chances of a GL appearing for four turns. Come to think about it, that's not all bad: our forces will be completely healed and at the doorstep of Persepolis in four turns, so if we just tell them to fortify for one turn near Persepolis we won't lose the chance of getting a GL from the assault on Persepolis.
        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

A bit shorter, even, when Cheops takes the Eastern Willsburian Ringroad.
          Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Interesting. The Shortest Path Algorithm used to determine Cheops' route chooses the Willsbury Soccer Field (E - NE of W.) over the Eastern Ringroad (E of W.). Is this because of the forest and the border ?
            Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

I was planning on moving the knights that are s of tyre to the spot 2e of tyre,that is where they can meet the GL, also a sword will be there so the unit will be safe.
              Aggie
              The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

My suggestion is as follows:
                The route that Aro has plotted is perfectly fine, IF we know that it's also safe. I propose to move the knight that is stationed NW NW of Willsbury one tile North (into the 1 mark, where the leader will finish its first turn of movement). If it sees ANY Persian units then we must take the Jungle route (see my attached map; yes, I know it's ugly). Otherwise, we can safely take the road route.

- Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Why don't we rush the Sistine in Willsbury? Are we fearing to lose this city, or are there plans to disband it?

Comment

Hmm... It's only one turn more, right? If this is safer I agree, Shiber.

Sir Ralph: I am fearing to loose the city, but I don't know if the odds are against us or not. Now, the city has 7 entertainers and is in civil disorder.
                    Btw, if we rush the Sistine in Willsbury, the culture can prevent the flipping, is it right? Could be a good idea...
                    Note: we have civil disorder in AGC, too.
                    RIAA sucks
                    The Optimistas

Comment

It is too close to Persia's cultural power base. We can't risk a flip.
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

According to the culture flipping formula it is unlikely to flip, if it has, say, 2 units garrison. There's only 1 tile of its 21-tile radius occupied by persia. The Sistine yields 6 culture points. After 2 turns the borders expand and the city would be 100% flipsafe.

Comment

UberGorsk is only 2 turns away via the roads (unless I am missing something, like a break in the road network). One turn gets the leader quite near a number of other units for protection. I don't think there is a need to tramp through the Jungle.

Aro, Willsbury only has 2 citizens, and is not all that close to the 'Persian cultural center', Especially since that center is about to be crushed.

Re: taking Persiopolis. We cannot simply rush and take it then sue for peace. IT IS in the very center of the Persian Culture, and will definately flip. If we expect to keep the Pyramids, we must plan on taking/razing Baktra and Susa at the very least. And if the capital goes to Tarsas, we should take that too to be safe. Arbela could be easily taken at this point to give us yet another lux as well. Then Persia is as good as dead with three cities spread across the continent.
                          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

You're right, UnOrthO, I was thinking about Pasargadae... Blame my proverbial lack of neurons...
                            RIAA sucks
                            The Optimistas

Comment

UnOrthOdOx: I prefer the road route as well, but I advise the government not to move the leader through it before the knight NW NW of Willsbury scouts ahead to see if there are any Persian units adjacent to the tile where the leader will finish his first turn of movement.
                              If we don't do this and the leader will end up near a Persian immortal then we're all going to be REALLY sorry.

Sir Ralph: Could you please disclose the formula that you speak of? I think it would be of much use to us all.
                              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Sistine Chapel is by far the best option if we have Theology.

But we also want as many chances for our other Elites to produce another Great Leader as possible.

A couple of turns delay would be acceptable if needed, but I think we should definately use the Great Leader for something during this turn chat.
                                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                                Templar Science Minister
                                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                                X