Public Opinion Poll (Unofficial): The New Great Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Opinion Poll (Unofficial): The New Great Leader

An Apolytonian Times/ANN (Apolytonia Network News) poll on the issues that matter to YOU. How should we use our new GL?
    Build an army
    15.00%
    Rush Sistine Chapel
    30.00%
    Rush Forbidden Palace
    2.50%
    Rush Sistine if possible, build army if not
    37.50%
    Rush Sistine if possible, build FP if not
    7.50%
    Rush Sistine if possible, save for JS Bach if not
    7.50%
    Rush worker
    0.00%
    Disband for shields
    0.00%
    "Terminate, with extreme prejudice"

Rush Chapel!

This is our only chance to get this incredibly powerful wonder!

The only question to not build it is do we want our GA now, while we are at war?

I would prefer to have GA during peace to build infrastructure, but if we don't use GL for Sistine's we might never get a GA.

Sistine's Chapel now!
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

We have just shown that we can get GLs in the course of war - with the number of battles coming up it looks quite likely we will get another one as long as we use the one we have soon (we can't get a GL when we still haven't used the last one).

I say an Army - our forces should be banding together to make best use of the vast experience and knowledge instilled in the rank and file by Sun Tzu's famed title, and embodied in the Top Brass by Aggie. Plus we will gain the option of the Heroic Epic and Military Academy somewhere down the line - and who can pass up the opportunity to improve our chances at getting another GL?
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I'm for passing up on greater "chances" of getting a GL!

We can build an Army anytime to get Heroic Epic/Military Academy.

If we wait much longer, we will never be able to get the Chapel.
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Yes, definately go for Chapel
          Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

The Sistine Chapel is the single most powerful wonder in this game. We can't let it pass!
            For those of you who are worried we won't have Theology by the time the leader will reach safety and we'll have to wait with him, think again. We're most likely going to build this wonder in Ubergorsk, which is the only safe city that's close to the front. Transporting the leader through the road system is tempting, but also dangerous - an immortal coming from the north could kill him, and since we don't have any units on that road at all we will not be able to effectively guard the leader.
            Therefore, we will have to transport him through the jungle, accompanied by a garrison that will run ahead of him to scout out any persians. This way it will take us 5 turns to get to Ubergorsk, and we'll be able to rush the chapel at the end of these 5 turns. By then we'll be able to buy Theology from Greek for a much discounted price, or we might decide to stop the war after taking Persepolis because we'll meet strong resistance (Persian pikemen and immortals) and we'll get Theology from Persia.
            "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
            And the truth isn't what you want to see,
            Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
            - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

We NEED the Sistine Chapel. With our huge potential grassland and cheaper cathedrals it is a must have wonder. The only question is can we take the pyramids right now? If not I'd be all for buying Theology.

Can someone with 1.21 find out what Theology would currently cost from the various civ? On 1.29 Greece and England will sell it for 50 gpt and 190 g. How much can we make if we turn around and sell it to the Iroqouis, French, and Americans?

I'd be willing to enter a payment program with the Americans if we're going to take the entire Persian Homeland as that might take around 20 turns and certainly looks attainable now.

Comment

Assuming that we want to preserve our hard cash for military upgrades and improvements and pay only gpt for Theology, the best deal we can currently get is from Greece: 31 gpt for Theology (620 gold over 20 turns).
                However, I'm convinced that by the time our great leader reaches Ubergorsk (I assume this is where we would want the wonder since it's the closest city to the front that is safe) through the safe route (see above post) the price will drop to ~25 gpt, or 500 gold over 20 turns.

Btw, if we buy Theology from Greece we'll be able to demand Engineering and *Education* from Persia (I'm 100% sure they already have it. If not they will surely have it by the time we reach peace terms with them).
                - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Interesting prpposal, Shiber... But the persians will give us Theo and Engineering in a peace deal, without squeeze our budget. We'll take Persepolis in a few turns, and by the time Cheops reaches Ubergorsk (or a little later), we'll be able to build the Sistine.

Edit: typos
                  Last edited by Aro; September 23, 2002, 09:06.
                  RIAA sucks
                  The Optimistas
                  I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I agree...we should grab the Sistine, it is very powerful, especially for a religious society as us-double the effect for half the cost, how can we go wrong. I hate armies, I think they're a waste, your better off just stacking units.
                    Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
                    "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber
                      Assuming that we want to preserve our hard cash for military upgrades and improvements and pay only gpt for Theology, the best deal we can currently get is from Greece: 31 gpt for Theology (620 gold over 20 turns).
                      However, I'm convinced that by the time our great leader reaches Ubergorsk (I assume this is where we would want the wonder since it's the closest city to the front that is safe) through the safe route (see above post) the price will drop to ~25 gpt, or 500 gold over 20 turns.

Btw, if we buy Theology from Greece we'll be able to demand Engineering and *Education* from Persia (I'm 100% sure they already have it. If not they will surely have it by the time we reach peace terms with them).
                      That's a good plan.

I propose we follow Aggies current strategy of holding Pas-whatever for a few turns. cutting off Persia's connection to England while moving our GL over the roads to Ubergorsk.

The turn Cheops can make it into Ubergorsk we buy Theology from the Greeks and build the Sistine.

Then finish off the Persian homeland.

That way we use the time it takes our GL to get to Ubergorsk to heal up our troops and bring it reinforcements.

Comment

31 gpt is so much, IMHO. After we take Persepolis, we'll have granaries and incense, why not make peace then? We'll have a lot of good land to growth, we'll need time for this.
                        RIAA sucks
                        The Optimistas
                        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

This price is partially offset by the new-fangled "renegotiating for peace" deals.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                            ...while moving our GL over the roads to Ubergorsk.
                            If he moves over the roads he is open to attacks by immortals from Antioch. We should do as I proposed and move him directly west, through the jungle and slightly north to where Sidon was because we can be sure there are no Persian units there and most of this route is not covered by fog of war in one side, as opposed to the road route.
                            I'll post a picture of the proposed route later.
                            - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I haven't a map here and can't confirm it, but leaders have a movement of 3 (or 9 roaded tiles). I can't imagine that Ubergorsk is so far away that it can't be reached in at most 2 turns over the roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X