Upgrade to 1.29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
    How many Mac and foreign players are there? Can the foreign 1.21 players access the saves at this moment?
    The problem is can we get mac or other users who can't upgrade to come forward? Is it ethical? Would you really want to come forward and say "Me it's my fault you can't upgrade".
    We can do these kind of polls but some people insist on voting no just to upset things.
    Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Originally posted by OPD

Would you really want to come forward and say "Me it's my fault you can't upgrade".
      I would.
      Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
        I would.
        Yeah but there's no way I would.
        Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Originally posted by OPD

Yeah but there's no way I would.
          Is OPD a closet Mac user?
          Proud member of the Hawk Party.

Comment

A few days ago, I sat down and worked out a Dual install of Civ 3.

Here's the procedure I used. I'll follow this with a procedure containing only the steps that I think you need -- in retrospect, I did more than neccessary. Having said that, I'm guessing a bit on the second list, so here's what I did (which I'm pretty positive will work):
            1. Install Civ 3. (When you do, it may help to give a descriptive name, such as 'Civ 3 demogame' or 'Civ 3 1.21f' if you plan to follow the uninstall step)
            2. Download and install 1.21f (you can find that by going to the Firaxis web site (www.civ3.com), clicking on the link to download 1.29f, and changing the url from a 9 to a 1 -- I may go find it and edit in the correct URL in a sec).
            3. Copy the Civ 3 folder to your desktop.
            4. Find the Civ 3 nocd crack, and install it to the version on your desktop.
            5. Uninstall Civ 3.
            6. Reinstall with a different folder name
            7. Install 1.29f into the new copy.
            8. Copy the Civ 3 folder on your desktop back to it's original folder

This will provide you with two folders -- one with 1.29f and one with 1.21f. I think that I took some loopholes that weren't necessary here, however, and from my experience this is the simplest procedure that I think might work:
            • Install Civ 3
            • Install 1.21f.
            • Copy the Civ 3 folder to another folder (such as desktop)
            • Install 1.29f.
            • Rename the Civ 3 folder on the desktop to something like "Civ 3 1.21f".
            • Copy that folder back

If I'm guessing correctly, this'll also provide you with two copies of Civ 3. The obvious disadvantage of this method is that it takes a lot of extra space, but if you've got a huge hard drive like I do, then it might be alright for you.

Please let me know if these instructions are clear -- I'm not taking the normal time to proofread, since I really don't have much time, but I'd be happy to clarify for anyone later.

-- adaMada
            Civ 3 Democracy Game:
            PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
            Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

Cheers ada my little brothers already found a 1.21 version so Ill show him this and tell him to get cracking
              Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Originally posted by adaMada
                • Install Civ 3
                • Install 1.21f.
                • Copy the Civ 3 folder to another folder (such as desktop)
                • Install 1.29f.
                • Rename the Civ 3 folder on the desktop to something like "Civ 3 1.21f".
                • Copy that folder back

If I'm guessing correctly, this'll also provide you with two copies of Civ 3. The obvious disadvantage of this method is that it takes a lot of extra space, but if you've got a huge hard drive like I do, then it might be alright for you.
                Actually, you'll have 3 copies by then, since you used 'Copy' twice. But I get the point.

Why would some crack be necessary ..?
                Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

People, if you voted no and you don't want to post, either PM me or OPD regarding this and we can move forward. If we don't hear anything, can we assume that the no votes are just to be stuborn? How many ministers are lacking the ability to upgrade? How many potential ministers?
                  If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Oh yes, forgot to say -- delete copy on desktop when you're done.

I originally though the nocd crack would be necessary for the dual install (long reasoning, won't go into it here). (I HATED the idea of using it, but since I do legally own the game and just wanted to do something the game should have let me do in the first place...) In hind sight, I don't think it's necessary anymore, so I took it out of the second instructions set (the condensed version).

-- adaMada

EDIT: Later I'll find an old post from Shiber on a way to switch back and forth without two installs (saving a lot of hard disk space) and will quote it here (adding numbered instructions to help if people ask for them). I'll also edit my first post and clarify, and perhaps include Shiber's information.

-- adaMada
                    Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

hi ,

UPGRADE !!

why on earth should we not do it , .....

if you can post here you can get the upgrade also from this site , ...... simple

and could the no voters please post this time as to why they vote no , .......

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by =OttomusCeasar=
                        The President is the only one who has to play the game...
                        No, it's a bigger question than that. Mac users would not be able to download the saves. Neither would non-English language version players.
                        (At least, that was my understanding. True?)
                        Not being able to download saves would SERIOUSLY undermine participation at any level.
                        aka, Unique Unit
                        Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

OK. Please do not upgrade

In my previous post here, I asked people if they voted no and didn't want to post to PM me or OPD and explain their reasons. Did I get the reasons all right......

I must say that I do not understand why they are not posting, as the reasons were true and valid. Regardless, I say we should NOT upgrade at this time because of these PM's.

Soon, when PtW comes out, many of these issues will probably resolve themselves because by my understanding that will eliminate compatability issues and make upgrades of saved games "normal".

At that time, I suggest that we have this disscussion again. Until then, I say we stick with v1.21. I know I do not like it, but it is the only way to be fair to those who are not able/willing to do the upgrade. Because of the PM's I received, I will fight to keep us playing 1.21 including going to the courts if that proves necessary.

Peace.

GK
                          If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

If GK says there's a reason to stick with 1.21, then my vote's firmly behind 1.21f.

If anyone needs dual install/quick-upgrade-downgrade instructions, I'd be happy to help. If there's anything else I can do to help others who want to play 1.29f and also the DG, then I'd be happy to help. But if 1.29f will exclude people, then I we've gotta stick with 1.21f. I don't see it as a choice.

-- adaMada
                            Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

I voted no, what if the game crashes and wont work properly in 1.29f?

But it looks like it will be yes..
                              Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

Just being afraid of upgrading really isn't valid
                                But if Mac and foreign users will be blocked from playing, that is.

When is the patch due for them?

And can they even load our 1.21 saves now, or is this whole point moot?

Comment

Working...
                                X