No announcement yet.

Discovering continents for fun and profit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need our galleys for Uber Isle, which I am convinced is not a continent. Continents generally only come close together in one spot. Also, England is more likely than Greece because Greece has Sky Isle just off it's coast, and continents usually aren't THAT close together.

Comment

We can pray to the banana that in our war with France that we get a Leader, and use him to create the Great Lighthouse. That would be the easiest, but not most likely way, to succede.
      2nd Minister of the Economy in the 1st Apolytonia Civ 3 Democracy Game.
      Founder and editor of the Berserker Bugle

Comment

the gallies are going to uber isle. we're sending both of them out to the island at the same time. I'm hoping (at least) ne survives.

IF, somehow, both survive, one shall return to the mainland and the other shall explore uber isle.

If one does survive, it will begin scouting a little, and we will need another galley from the mainland. this galley could be loaded with a settler / spearmen and Uber isle could be colonized with the (possible) expense of the mainland galley. The settler stack would be safe.

After the "initial dropoff", the galley on uber isle will begin scouting again, unless we see substantial need for more settlers immediately (ie a large landmass). Uber island could populate itself after the initial kickoff, but if we need it done quickly we could devote more "mainland resources" to it.

As for finding other civs, I doubt we will but I'm all for it. After the fall of France we'll have some time of realitive peace. Sure, we'll be crushing America, finishing them off, but I consider fighting the Americans to be peace. We're just claiming our land. During that time I'd promote galley construction alongside the horsemen / knights we would need for our next target, but i dont know how useful they'd be.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
          As for finding other civs, I doubt we will but I'm all for it. After the fall of France we'll have some time of realitive peace. Sure, we'll be crushing America, finishing them off, but I consider fighting the Americans to be peace. We're just claiming our land. During that time I'd promote galley construction alongside the horsemen / knights we would need for our next target, but i dont know how useful they'd be.

Basically, this is exactly what I'm thinking -- as soon as we finish the war with France, let's get some boats out there and try it .

-- adaMada
          Civ 3 Democracy Game:
          PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
          Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

What makes you think its an island?
            If you are unable to read this you are illiterate.

Comment

Originally posted by Donal Graeme
              We can pray to the banana that in our war with France that we get a Leader, and use him to create the Great Lighthouse. That would be the easiest, but not most likely way, to succede.
              I would create an army first and win a battle with it so we could build a heroic epic and get more leaders from future battles.
              "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
              And the truth isn't what you want to see,
              Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Well, THAT's a major question. For what can we use a Leader, if we get one? I'm have a tendency, in my games, to use them to build Great Wonders or armies, IF I playing with a militaristic civ (I get six, once). However, this isn’t our case, we are religious and industrious, and build the Heroic Epic could give us the same chances to get another leader as a militaristic civ… or not? I’m not sure about the probabilities. Anyhow, this deserves a better discussion. Personally, I would like to build the Great Lighthouse.
                RIAA sucks
                The Optimistas
                I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

IF we get a leader, and IF we don't use him to build an army, we're going to build the Great Library with him, NOT the Lighthouse.

Comment

I'd bet a hundred gold pieces that the lost continent(s)/islands are separated from our mighty continent by ocean squares. The great lighthouse won't help us with that, as we will still be unable to safely traverse ocean squares.
                    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                    - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I know! We'll all by a whole lot of stuff from the 'Poly store, and not only will we save a bunch of cats, we'll have a spy plane that we can use to find the other countries!

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                        IF we get a leader, and IF we don't use him to build an army, we're going to build the Great Library with him, NOT the Lighthouse.
                        Originally posted by Shiber
                        I'd bet a hundred gold pieces that the lost continent(s)/islands are separated from our mighty continent by ocean squares. The great lighthouse won't help us with that, as we will still be unable to safely traverse ocean squares.
                        You both are right, for sure. But I can’t stop to imagine how profitable could be find the others civs before our neighbors… Well, just a thought.
                        RIAA sucks
                        The Optimistas

Comment

hi ,

we could start to get around the world , there is going to be more places with civ's , .....

we know not enough of the world

we need to master the sea , and the land that is in it

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Sorry, but I don't have the game open in front of me -- what's the first Naval unit that can go through ocean squares?

How many techs would we have to get to have one... can we safely assume that, if we get it the same time the AI does, we'll have a higher emphisis on finding the other civs then they will have in exploring? Also, what are the chances of the other civs coming and finding our neighbors shortly after we meet them, or even before? That'd probably null the long term advantage of making first contact, though we could probably still get a ton of money by selling between the groups even in a few turns.

Any thoughts?

-- adaMada
                            Civ 3 Democracy Game:
                            PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
                            Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

Originally posted by adaMada
                              Sorry, but I don't have the game open in front of me -- what's the first Naval unit that can go through ocean squares?
                              -- adaMada
                              I think they are the Frigate, Galleon, and Privateer, which all come with Magnetism. (i think, anyway)

Comment

Galleys or Caravels can do it, if we get navigation.
                                RIAA sucks
                                The Optimistas

Comment

Working...
                                X