Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovering continents for fun and profit

Quoting from another thread:

If we could be the first civ to make contact with those civs [I was referring here to the "missing" civs which we haven't made contact with yet and are probably living on another continent or two somewhere], we'd be RICH!!
    The civs living in the other continent(s) are probably technologically backward in comparison to us because all of the Abananaba civs have been trading techs AFAIK. Why, we could sell them tons of technologies for gold and gpt! We could also sell communications but I'd rather be the only civ with communications with civs from overseas.
    We should therefore make it a high priority to research means of safely traversing ocean tiles.

adaMada suggested that this idea deserves more attention and that I should open a thread about this so I did.
    Comments anyone?
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

The civs on Abananaba Minor have a better chance.

Comment

Skywalker - by your statement above, it implies that you have played ahead!!!

Please say that is not the case. Justify what you just stated, or erase it.

I agree with you Shiber, we have the potential to reap a fortune if we contact them first. First we sell them all the techs they are missing. Then when we are done with them, we sell their maps and their knowledge of to all the known civs.

Good thinking.
      If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

No, I haven't played ahead. I just think that they'd be closer to another continent. In my experience, the map generator always leaves close gaps between continents.

Comment

Also, it seems to have a tendancy to leave only very small gaps between continents and the bottom of the map.

Comment

Glad to know you were not looking ahead.
            If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Skywalker is right, IMO. Btw, the British are building the Great Lighthouse in Nottingham. They have good chances, too.
              Look at this: (I'm not playing ahead, just supposing)
              Attached Files
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

If the other 4 are "here probably" it would be good for us as the area to the south of us, around uber isle, would probably be littered with islands full of late age resourses.

From the attached image were doing well (IMHO).
                The Aztecs look quite big but hey won't be able to keep up later on. The Romans are also looking strong especially if they decide to take out the babylonians soon.
                Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Originally posted by OPD
                  From the attached image were doing well (IMHO).
                  The Aztecs look quite big but hey won't be able to keep up later on. The Romans are also looking strong especially if they decide to take out the babylonians soon.
                  the aztecs will be the powerhouse of this continent.

babylon is goign to culture-rape rome and russia. all of abananaba minor will be weaker because of it. looks good for us.
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I still believe we have a better chance to discover the missing civs than the AIs. I've never seen an AI travel over the oceans looking for other landmasses.
                    Btw from my experience, in maps where there is more than one continent there is usually a luxury (or two at most) that are unique to one of the continents. If we go to war with one of the missing civs (we should think think about this option before we sell them any techs though) and manage to get a hold of several tiles with a luxury that is unique to the lost continent we'll be able to monopolize it in Abananaba!!
                    Just think of the gpt!
                    /me gets greedy...
                    - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

When I play I usually help the Aztecs along if I'm not right next to them as they keep other civs small but are never a threat once the industrial revolution kicks in.
                      Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Hmmm... Shiber, this could be a good and tasteful goal...How much this will cost? I mean money and time. We need navigation or The Great Lighthouse. In my games, I always go for the Great Lighthouse just to look for other lands.
                        RIAA sucks
                        The Optimistas
                        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

We won't get the great lighthouse unless we take it from another civ. Hopefully France are about to complete it and we'll get to take it from them. Otherwise we're gonna have to go for navigation.
                          The downside is that this will take us off the road to democracy...
                          IMHO we should research navigation nonetheless. After all, we can always buy democracy but we can't buy exclusive access to the lost continent.
                          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Without the great liighthouse, there's no way we'll discover any new civs unless they build lighthouse or if they're not discovered until navigation.
                            If you are unable to read this you are illiterate.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodFella
                              Without the great liighthouse, there's no way we'll discover any new civs unless they build lighthouse or if they're not discovered until navigation.
                              Not neccesarily. I usually send galleys until I get lucky and one finds it without sinking. Usually only takes me 3 or 4 times.

Comment

Working...
                              X