No announcement yet.

The Apolytonian Thinkers Guild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that soon we will have to decide what long term goals we want to achieve. If we are to continue wave after wave of wars and war planning, then I say we might as well go for the whole thing and conquest, since as long as we continue sucha policy, many will ask that we retain a backwards form of government, which means that the A.I. will build a huge tech advantage. The age of buying our techs is wanning, so either we have to take our techs by war, or get them oursleves.

I prefer to get them oursleves, which means an end to all this warfare. The problem is that the bigger we get, the more the A.I., rightly, will try to prune us, just as we plan to prune others. The bigger we get, the less likely the AI will leave us alone, and the more costly the empire building will get. We have to try to strike a balance. This is not to say I I dont covet more lands. Primarily, I covet all of America, Greece's cities in the Great basin and their capitol, and all of Germany, while I see lands south towards Abananaba Minor and Persia not be worth the effort.

We also have to remember that there are 4 other civs missing. Unless we aim at conquest or dominion victories, these civs might also be future space competitiors. We can not forget that.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hi, DAVOUT. (and everyboy else, of course) It's just me.
      We Thinkers have always been here, and we will always be...
      Why am I not on the staff list? - Of Course, you didn't know me. It's been such a long time... Not many people know me.
      Some few Thinkers do, perhaps.
      I've not been visible lately, for I was conscending to an outer plane. I'm not shapeless anymore.
      Allright, even when wearing my metallic purple robe, I'm not really that creepy.

Very well, I approve the renessaince of The Guild and your suggestions of new statutes.

It's good to see The Guild alive again!

- dr.PlagueRat, Founder of The Thinkes Guild,
      (and "Rittmeister of Rituals)
      My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

The Ancestor returns ! Happy day !

You are right, I did not know that you initiate the Thinkers Guild, and I refered only to Chandragupta who started a thread on the idea.

You are most welcome, and in a few minutes you will be in the staff list, at the first place deserved by the founder.

I hope that you will not be desappointed that the Guild is so serious, but the Apolytonians have soon made an intensive use of their brain to overcome the difficulties resulting from their incredible starting position, and now they enjoy exchanging ideas and debating on subjects hard, abstract and philosophical.

This does not prevent the general mood to be oriented toward the fun, as you can see in going through the posts.
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Oh thanks.
          It's very very good to see that The Guild is into serious business nowadays.Our goal is to influence the society with the positive energies of our minds. And so to help the government out of wrong thinking. So these threads better keep running.

It's nice to feel that I can relax and attend our jolly meetings at the Drinking Philosopher Subguild, where we sing our songs and solves the problems of the world. Maybe we can have our "loudthinking citywalks" again.
          Ahh, it's so good to be back in The Guild !
          Now we have business to attend to...

Ritual Of The Free Thought:

*Laying an old wooden stick upon DAVOUT's head *

"By the Stick of The High Counsiousness...
          I, The Ancestor of Thoughts, hereby grants DAVOUT the title of
          Guildmaster of The Infinite Equation (*), and also proclaim him Defender of The Free Thought. This means DAVOUT will be Guildmaster hereafter with the duties such a position demands. May we all celebrate the continued arise of The Thinkers Guild. Blessed be the free thought! We may all meditate now... "

*eyes closing*
          (aaooohm... aaooohm)

(*) "The Infinite Equation" is a 15ft. tall bottle of holy Notylopian thought-serum, stored in the caverns below the guild hall...

Drink a sip, if you dare...
          Good day!

Comment

In these times of war and expansion, I encourage all fellow Thinkers to look for peaceful options that will still allow us to expand. Our culture rating might suffer, and there is uncertainty to whether we can fight our neigbours or not.

Those of you who can, should run for official positions.
            - Reinstate right thinking among our federal administrators!

Ok,
            See you around.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

The problem is that the bigger we get, the more the A.I., rightly, will try to prune us, just as we plan to prune others. The bigger we get, the less likely the AI will leave us alone, and the more costly the empire building will get. We have to try to strike a balance. This is not to say I I dont covet more lands. Primarily, I covet all of America, Greece's cities in the Great basin and their capitol, and all of Germany, while I see lands south towards Abananaba Minor and Persia not be worth the effort.

We also have to remember that there are 4 other civs missing. Unless we aim at conquest or dominion victories, these civs might also be future space competitiors. We can not forget that.
              1.We should never stop acquiring more lands as long as it impedes the following:
              Development of the empire already in possession
              Conflict with the neighbors
              other than that I see no reason why We stop the expansion. AI is gonna pick on us at one point anyway.. if that happens we could use the opportunity to gain strategic and rich resource teriotry and keep the warfare to minimum.

2. I think you're underestimating Rich Persian soil... they have a very large cities and we have spotted some nice fatten cattles and gold deposits in their land. Not to mention bonanza of sweet smelling incenses....

3. Point very well taken... We must keep in mind the civs in 'unfound' continent. And in order to keep ahead of them, we must limit ourselves the war we're in by finsihing the current war w/ persia as fast as possible and settling good terms with neighbors by trading and getting rich off them.
              :-p

Comment

hmm this guild needs an arch rival. Anyone feel like starting the Impulse Guild?

The civs on the other continent are invariably less technological than us-- it's simple. We have x amount of civs on our continent, they have y on theirs, x is much larger than y, more chance for tech trades, less tech needs to be researched by each civ. The land would have to be ultrapremium on their continent to have a chance to be at equal tech.

Is there anyplace online where it is documented how the AI reacts to different kinds of player empires?
                (I wish just for once they'd make a game where the AI can't tell the difference between the player and another AI)

Comment

Originally posted by Epistax
                  hmm this guild needs an arch rival. Anyone feel like starting the Impulse Guild?
                  Hmm...
                  You can join the Drunken Philosophers Subguild. Those are quite
                  impulsive... and it's fun!

Comment

Working...
                  X