UnOfficial poll: Second Executive Crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UnOfficial poll: Second Executive Crew

We've been discussing when the best time for a turnchat would be. and one really good idea has been mentioned by quite a few people

this idea is: having multiple turnchat crews

basically, whoever is elected president would play turnchats as it suits him and his ministers. So, if a New York President is elected, and he wants to play at 8pm EST, he can do that.

But, then to accomodate to the Europeans and Oceanics, a second executive group (has been suggest to be named things like Secretary of State) from the other side of the world would be appointed by the president, and aproved by the public.

This second executive group would play turnchats that are specifically tailored to anyone not in the time-zones close to that of the President.

WHY would we need this sort of thing? As it is, 4pm EST (21:00 GMT) is a hard time for anyone to show up at. Many of us either work that hour, go to school, or are soon to go to bed, or something like that.

And, I think it was Trip who said 2/3 of our people are North Americans. when 2/3's of our people will absolutly not be able to come to turnchats because they are either learning or working, we have a problem. But we can't alienate the other 1/3 either, so we must meet a more plausible comprimise than 4pm EST (21:00 GMT)

So, this is both an unofficial poll to see you opinions on the idea, and a way for everyone to hammer out a solid ammendment that would pass (if we agree we need something).

options
    1: Yes (i support the construction of a Second Executive Crew)
    2: No (i think sticking with one crew is better, or this is not the way to solve our problem)

im not setting a poll-end, cuz it aint official! muwahahaha
    Yes
    55.56%
    No
    44.44%
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

This is what Democracy is all about. Although the voices of the many win all battles, every effort is made to ensure the minorities are accommodated for.

Yes yes yes.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

i dont know. as long as your proposal doesnt have to do with elections, i guess im for it.

Comment

this isnt a complete proposal. 50% of the reason i made the thread was so that we could hammer out a propper plan/ammendment

the way im thinking of it, it would be identical to how Judicial nominees are handled

President nominates, public accepts.

Comment

If you can come up with an entire second crew, go for it.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Perhaps what we can do is remove the election for the Vice-President, and make the Vice-President part of the "ticket," along with the President. The Vice-President must be from a different time-zone, and thus when the President is busy the vice-president can step in and assume his powers. That, and creating official positions under the main Ministeries, like Foreign and War. Deputy Ministers, chosen by the Minister, and confirmed just like Judges, who act in the ministers place when they are busy.
            2nd Minister of the Economy in the 1st Apolytonia Civ 3 Democracy Game.
            Founder and editor of the Berserker Bugle

Comment

Originally posted by Donal Graeme
              Perhaps what we can do is remove the election for the Vice-President, and make the Vice-President part of the "ticket," along with the President. The Vice-President must be from a different time-zone, and thus when the President is busy the vice-president can step in and assume his powers. That, and creating official positions under the main Ministeries, like Foreign and War. Deputy Ministers, chosen by the Minister, and confirmed just like Judges, who act in the ministers place when they are busy.
              yeah, but the problem with having a VP and Prez always in different timezones would be that if the Prez were to not be able to do stuff, for say a week, thats a whole week that a good percentage of the world wont be attending turnchats. we need atleast 2 for the normal crew, and atleast 1 executive for this new crew, me thinks.

good post tho Gareme.

Comment

I don't know... perhaps a new position? Prime Minister Perhaps? Chief of Staff? I am sure we could think of something.
                2nd Minister of the Economy in the 1st Apolytonia Civ 3 Democracy Game.
                Founder and editor of the Berserker Bugle

Comment

Actually, I think we are rapidly approaching a point where turn chats will not be viable at all.

I would favour the President going off to play a turn or two or five at a time and coming back as needed to seek orders from the ministers and the advise of the people.

Such a system could see the President play 10 or 20 turns per week. That allows for progress. Especially if you leave a few 'down days' in between for everyone to catch up and to propose ideas for action.

Maybe it's just me, but who among us want to try to run a turn chat with 50 units in the field against 100 enemy units? We will be there soon.

What about when the wars are done and the building commences? Then 20 or 30 turns could be done in one 'chat'. Is that too many? What is the limit?

Better to set some kind of schedule for progress, have the ministers give the President instructions and let that person get the game done.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

i think this would just overcomplicate things...

Comment

Originally posted by Darkness' Edge
                      i think this would just overcomplicate things...
                      I hear you, but things have been complex since the start. At least this complexity adds to the potential for participation.

Wouldst thou deny thee thy right to blather along with everyone else in the turnchats?
                      Consul.

Comment

A juicy NO from me. 2 reasons:

1) We already have problems to gather together one active crew. Where do we get the other one from?

2) I second NYE. Turnchats will be impossible soon anyway, due to the increased # of cities, units etc. Go towards turnthreads, and give the president the power to play a certain amount of turns in a time that suits him. He has to stop, when he needs instructions, when something unforeseen happened (war etc.) or when his "turn allowance" is used up. Then he has to post a detailed report along with the savegame and the ministers discuss the situation, make their polls and post their instructions. Then the whole process starts again.

Comment

Regarding the participation of the people, the first step would be to post updated maps anytime a save is made available. As you have certainly observed, the number of downloads is small compared to the population of Apolytonia ; that means that most of the citizens cannot refer to recent maps, despite the efforts of good men.
                          Statistical anomaly.
                          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Yea, sure! I'd be happy to miss turnchats if it meant we could get more turns done faster, and if it helps other people make turnchats, then that sounds like a plan.

-- adaMada
                            Civ 3 Democracy Game:
                            PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
                            Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                              A juicy NO from me. 2 reasons:

1) We already have problems to gather together one active crew. Where do we get the other one from?
                              At least part of the reason for the small crew at the moment is due to the fact that the times just do not suit at least 5-6 active posters, who have admitted it. There are likely others. With these ppl contributing and say another 3-4 from the current group (at least until the North hemisphere's summer ends), plus maybe one or two random ppl, isn't that near enough for a chat?

2) I second NYE. Turnchats will be impossible soon anyway, due to the increased # of cities, units etc. Go towards turnthreads, and give the president the power to play a certain amount of turns in a time that suits him. He has to stop, when he needs instructions, when something unforeseen happened (war etc.) or when his "turn allowance" is used up. Then he has to post a detailed report along with the savegame and the ministers discuss the situation, make their polls and post their instructions. Then the whole process starts again.
                              That's as maybe, but whilst they are still useful (say until the end of the French campaign/whatever war we get involved in next), we can get a few more in - we are quite a number of turns off from this, and we are small enough now that turnchats shouldn't be a problem. Once we have been successful, THEN we may well be too big for turnchats. Until then, try not to kill the chance for some of us to have a go while the opportunity is still there.
                              Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; August 3, 2002, 14:08.
                              Consul.

Comment

Working...
                              X