War Academy/Machiavelli Institute: Defensive Case North/West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Academy/Machiavelli Institute: Defensive Case North/West

Considering the many good points raised in the threads Ubergorsk: a grim scenario and War Academy : Imminent danger I believe the War Academy should begin defensive plans for an attack either from Germany in the North or Persia in the West, and the Machiavelli Institute should begin plans to prevent such an attack through diplomatic relations with both Civs and to hinder such an attack through diplomatic alliences should one occur.

My own personal suggestions:
    • Ubergorsk should be garrisoned with more units, including one or two on the Iron itself to protect from pillaging enemy forces.
    • More dyes around Gia should be connected to our trading network and used as bargening chips, should we need an emergency military allience.
    • Relations should be cultivated with both the English and the Greeks. Furthermore, should the situation become dire, good relationships with teh Aztecs would be helpful. (I understand the reasoning behind preventing the Aztecs from expanding if at all possible, but having them as a friend would be a useful trump card, at least until one or two more civilizations disapear from the map).
    • If we could maintain a trading relationship with either the Germans or the Persians, we may be able to prevent a war, as they will likely not attack us if we are providing them with something they need.

Just some food for thought...

-- adaMada
    Last edited by adaMada; August 1, 2002, 12:45.
    Civ 3 Democracy Game:
    PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
    Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

or we could attack germany and persia
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
      or we could attack germany and persia

Could make for a short game .

-- adaMada
      Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

Don't worry. Once I get my dancing vorpal greatsword of life-stealing +5 factory and my armor of invincibility factory up and running, we won't have any problems.
        oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
          Don't worry. Once I get my dancing vorpal greatsword of life-stealing +5 factory and my armor of invincibility factory up and running, we won't have any problems.
          Someone's addicted to a game that ain't Civ3!

Nice ideas, but if we want to get a war started quickly, we need to cut our extraneous builds to what is needed for the war, and nothing else until the outcome is certain.

We are going to war - a great risk in itself. Some precautions should be taken, but we may have to compromise on more than one of what you propose here.
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Another, all important element of "defense" (in the broadest sense of the term) will be to exploit the iron next to Ubergorsk asap. Per Plan Gold, we should have a large store of warriors ready in cities with barracks, and a horde of cash, and we should upgrade immediately. In other words, we will want to churn out as many sword as we can as quickly as we can. That iron is going to be part of a cultural (if not a military) tug of war, and we might lose our grip on it any moment.

Plan Gold looks more and more like a huge priority, IMHO. We should be running numbers, to make sure we will be able to create a pile of swordsmen as soon as we connect the road through Ubergorsk to the iron. We may only get a small window to work with, and if so, we will need to have created a strike force capable of punishing the French and wresting their iron from them.
            aka, Unique Unit
            Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

Time until road to Ubergorsk and iron is completed: 9 turns.
              Cost of upgrading a warrior to a swordsmen: 40 gold.
              If we can keep Ubergorsk for 9 turns then we could have as many as 10 swordsmen (we can build even more warriors and we can afford the upgrades but I personally think 10 swordsmen is already enough, if not too much for a dead-end unit).
              This will probably make our military the strongest military in the known world! Hurray!
              "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
              And the truth isn't what you want to see,
              Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

What if Persia were to attack in the next nine turns, though? We'd be basically helpless to stop them, and all of our plans would be devistated. Not that I think they will attack, but what would our options be if they did?

As far as I can see, the only option would be to convince Germany or England to declare war on Persia (without Iron, which would be in immediate danger, we probably couldn't defend ourselves that well, at least without building up a bigger military force than we have).

Any thoughts?

-- adaMada
                Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

If Persia attacks, we're screwed.
                  That means if they make any demands we should provide them, otherwise they'll declare war.
                  Other than that we can only hope that our embassy in Persia and any trades we'll make with the Persians in the near future will do the trick.
                  - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

What if we signed a treaty/deal with them? Could we give em a ROP or give em some spices or something so they can't attack us without hurting themselves? Does anyone with an open copy of a savegame see anything we have that they want?

-- adaMada
                    Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

We should definitely establish a trade route with Persia, as well as Germany. It would deter them from doing any acts of hostility.
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Hell, you people bended over for Babylon not too long ago.

3 city, 60 tiles away Babylon.

You should have no problem doing the same for Persia.
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Huh? Babylon? What?
                          Sorry, I probably wasn't around then... could you fill me in?
                          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Yea, I think I also wasn't here when whatever happened with Babylon happened...

Uber, I respect you as the SMC, and would like your honest assessment -- if Persia or Germany launched a well-supplied sneak attack on us now could we survive without taking a ton of damage and loosing our source of Iron? If yes, pray tell how ? If no, then don't you think it's a good idea to at least open a trade route with them so we can give them something to bide our time? If no, then what do you propse we do should they attack?

Remember, this is just a think-tank -- I'm not saying that Persia and Germany will attack. I'd just like to have a plan should we need one. This thread has, so far, concentrated on the diplomatic options should such an attack occur, but I'd love to hear any military options anyone can think of... personally, knowing what amount of force is required to attack/defend without being excessive isn't my forte, but that's why we have think-tanks like this .

-- adaMada
                            Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

Opening a trade route with Persia before the road to iron is complete is impossible, unless both of us build harbors.
                              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Working...
                              X