Official: The Annales of Apolytonia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official: The Annales of Apolytonia

Here is the start of the history book of Apolytonia. I ask, nay, beg that the moderators make this one sticky!
    ----

THE ANNALES OF APOLYTONIA

Sometime, long forgotten, far in the past, mankind was born. Since the conception of this race of men, this single animal, among all others, has survived, flourished, and indeed, has triumphed. Though at first, man must have been up against incalculable odds, he has overcome these obstacles, and built cities. Overtime from cities there came kingdoms, and from kingdoms came empires. From empires there came civilizations. A city, indeed, a kingdom is not hard at all to find, but a civilization, this is different. A civilization is a people that have transcended the normal bounds of humanity. From making clubs out of flint, he makes swords out of iron, from drinking out of a stone bowl, to drinking out of a glass vessel; this is how civilization improves. And yet, civilization is more than moving up from stone to glass, it is leaving an indelible mark on humanity, creating words, thoughts, and matter, the likes of which are outstanding, and worth preservation. A civilization, like, say the Apolytonians, has done all this, but a barbarian kingdom like the Huns, for example, has not. Of course, we prideful Apolytonians, mindful of our great and worldly empire and civilization must remember above all things our past. We must also remember that we were once also barbarians like the vanished Huns, or the conquered Americans. It would serve us all now to create a lasting memory in words of the collected deeds and thoughts of the early Apolytonians, from their humble beginnings in the darkness of the jungle to the globe spanning empire of the present, and this is what I, Gaius Publius History Guy, have started the work of doing.

The legends of the beginnings of our race are many, and profuse. Such mythological characters as King Ming, the troll-smiter, have many different tales written of them, such as the voyage across the seas of King Ming to find the ‘infallible banana’, which was believed to hold the secrets of eternal life. Unfortunately, much of that tale is now lost to history, a sad testament of the need to preserve our past. Exactly where our peoples began as a kingdom is unknown as well. Apparently, it was in a far-away place called Egypt that the primitive men began to become civilized. Legends tell us of a once mighty kingdom, ruled over by the House of Pharaohs. No enemy, but one, could defeat the mighty Egyptians. Only small pieces of history from this dark period remain, including a tablet, carried from the forgotten city of Heliopolis, destroyed by the one nameless barbarian who conquered, but also fell to the avenging Egyptians, who fled the destroyed kingdom as nomads. The tablet shows a king preparing to smite a small individual with a huge, down turned mouth. Perhaps this is an image of King Ming, the troll-smiter. Other events have been recorded, but most are mythological. Two names of leaders still exist as well: Cleopatra, the final queen of Egypt, and Tutankamun. Exactly what they did is a mystery.

The nomads packed their bags in a hurry, leaving the burned out ruins of a once glorious past to the ravages of time. Treks down to the south, over seas, rivers, and mountains, have been recorded as a series of tales known as the Bananii, ‘the Wisdoms’, but most of them are probably concoctions of the ancient mind, and are filled with mythical creatures, and a menagerie of gods. One part, though, proven to be accurate, is the part written about a war against enemy barbarian tribes, deep in the heart of the jungle where our own civilization evolved. Evidence of this hundred-year fight has actually been discovered. According to the legends, the king of these nomads, in desperation, consulted a prophet, asking whether they should abandon the move south. The prophet responded that the king should push onward, and that if he did, he would not only defeat the enemy, but found the city that would become the capital of a mighty civilization, that would one day come to dominate the entire world.

The king then asked the prophet, “Where, O Prophet, will I build this city?” The prophet scratched his huge beard, pondered the question, and responded, “You shall build at a spot where you see a mighty fish shooting up sea-spray to your right, and a huge gathering of bananas to your left.” Apparently, this is what was discovered in the year 3950 BC. The sighting was remarkable, as to the left of the nomads was a jungle, and from a tall banana tree there hung a large clump of bananas, a symbol of wisdom to the ancient Apolytonians, and on the right there was the shore-line to the great sea. Sure enough, off shore a bit was a huge whale, coming up to the surface for air, and spouting out spray. Immediately, construction began on the city of Apolyton. Before the city was completed, however, the king died, leaving no heir, and so the great minds of the city gathered together and created a new form of government, that which is by the people, and for the people: democracy.
    Last edited by History Guy; July 30, 2002, 16:09.
    Empire growing,
    Pleasures flowing,
    Fortune smiles and so should you.

Re: Official: The Annales of Apolytonia

Great job!

/Edited so that Will 5001 wouldn't wine. Happy now?
    Last edited by Nubclear; July 30, 2002, 18:03.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Tass, you didn't have to quote the entire post, you were the first to reply, thats just being greedy for the space!

Edit: Great work History guy

Edit again: Yes I am very happy now Tass
      Last edited by Will 5001; July 30, 2002, 18:12.
      A citizen of the first Civ 3 democracy game
      A member of the Apolytonia War Academy

Comment

WOW. I like.
        Send it to MarkG. He might post it on the news.
        If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Re: Official: The Annales of Apolytonia

no,i do not like it. it is bad.

Comment

Re: Re: Official: The Annales of Apolytonia

Originally posted by themagicbanana
            Either you're being sarcastic, or you don't realize that you need to back up agruments with specific points. Do you have any particular reasons for saying this?

BTW, I liked it. Just give us more of the same, and get caught up to our current time.

Comment

Thats good stuff
              "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
              - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
              Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Re: Re: Official: The Annales of Apolytonia

Originally posted by themagicbanana
                WOOP! WOOP! DL ALERT!

Send in the Mods!
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I don't like it. Too many commas !
                  C3C ISDG Final Round : Actively Lurking

Comment

Sush. We haven't had anything for 3000 years and now you complain?!

I might move to abolish elections for this position if the qualified individuals would feel more free to work.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Thanks all for the enthusiastic responses...from the most of ye. I'm afraid I've hit something nasty here. Firstly, I can't find a complete list of the members of the last regime, and secondly, Unorthodox, who is doing some research for me, has discovered that due to editing by our last president, there is a 500 year gap early in our timeline, and we can't find evidence of what happened then. This is tough stuff indeed!
                      Empire growing,
                      Pleasures flowing,

Comment

I like the commas. In my old age, I need every one to take a breath...
                        Great work, Mr. History Guy. And very necessary too.
                        About the 500 year gap, when exactly it has occurred? I mean, what years are missed?
                        RIAA sucks
                        The Optimistas
                        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I love it!

Comment

Thanks again, everyone. The gap is from 3950 BC to 3250 BC. Any info is appreciated in this monumental effort! Thanks again.
                            Empire growing,
                            Pleasures flowing,

Comment

Yeah, specifically, when did the settler join, how long did he travel.

I proposed the following extrapilation.

Apolyton settled in 3950 five turns to make warrior brings us to 3700.

We can assume that the goodie hut was at least two turns away, or it would have been in culture borders, so we are now at 3600. Banana HQ was settled in 3400, now, did the settler move one or two squares? plus a turn to actually settle. Leaving us with a joining date of 3600 - 3500, likely 3550, but hard evidence would be nice.

When was the worker produced? A second warrior, etc. When did we discover the abandoned village...
                              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X