Should we have local Governors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we have local Governors ?

I'm wondering if we should have local Governors in the Democracy game.

A local governor has the control of a province, i.e 9-10 cities. This control is of course limited, as the ministers have most of the power.

Direct powers of governors :
    - they are aware of the exact situation of their cities (either they recieve exact reports, or they access the file)
    - they manage happiness in the way they see fit.
    - they directly control up to one worker per city, when the minister of workers give them.
    - they can make polls within their powers if need arises. They have to follow the vox populi then.

Indirect powers of the governors :
    - they lobby the ministers and the prez for the interest of their cities.
    - they warn ministers when the city has structural problems (risk of culture flipping, permanent corruption or unhappiness)
    - they may give reports to the popualtion on the situation of their cities.

Elections of the governors
    Governors are elected the same way as other political personnel. All citizens may elect governors, even if they don't live in their province.
    A new governor must be created when a new province is created. The minister for Imperial Expansion decides what the provinces are, and can change this whenever he wants. Each time a new province is created, a governor election must be held immediately, but an interim governor is choosed by the minister of Imperial Expansion in the meantime.

Conclusion : I think governors will make our empire more efficient, as they will micromanage well enough to completely avoid unhappiness, and will explain to ministers what their cities need, in detail. A game with 50-60 cities will demand huge amounts of city micromanagement, that's why the efficiency provided by governors will be yet another step for the greatness of our glorious empire !
    Yes
    54.17%
    Yes, but in a different way (explain)
    12.50%
    No
    33.33%
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

I want to wait until we are at a size where these posts might be useful, and here the cityplanner and imperial expansion minister of that term speak on this.

Also the cityplanner should still have a job, as an instance above any governors. He could be the governor of the main province, but shouldn't have to.

He also should be able to give orders to the governors about how their provinces should be run, but shouldn't do this unless central governing is needed for the empire. Sush situations could be during wars, or preparations for wars, whenthe cityplanner has to work close to the minitarry advisor, and then should ba bale to take control of the priovinces, at least in terms of how many units, and what units, that should be produced in the provinces. Then the Governors should be able to select which cities they put on building units, as long as they fullfill the requirments.

Sorry if you think my brainstorming is bad for your idea, but as I see these as a future occurence I think we might as well discuss what they should be able to do and not to do.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Lets talk about this idea when we have at least 25-30 city's, not a bad idea though.

I like the idea of an island game where every island has its own gouverner, this would make more sense then assigning a cluster of city's withoug a specific boundry.

Comment

i voted yes in a different way.. not much disagreeance.. however

i think the power of a governor should be minimal really. Building is better decided on a national scale I believe.. and so would most worker usage.

Also.. i would keep the limit of cities-per-state/province down around 5
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

There is already a poll on this (not as specific):

I'm starting to think that my current polls thread should be topped. These are the current polls.
          Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Sorry I wasn't clear : To me, the governor shouldn't decide what to build. His direct role is to manage unhappiness, and to control up to one worker per city if the minister of workers gives any.
            I never intended to let a province governor build things in his cities, that is the work of the minister of city planning. The governor can explain why a certain building is better than another, though.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

I already... made this poll... [IMG]http://www.colute.net/cwm/cwm/3dlil/****.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Governors would be to the City Planner (and Public Works Minister, if we have one) what Military Commanders (see my thread) would be to the Minister of War: a way to ease the pressure once we grow large. They would enormously facilitate the "Interior" Ministers' jobs.

Comment

Trip : Sorry, I didn't see it. Care to give a link ?

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                    I already... made this poll... [IMG]http://www.colute.net/cwm/cwm/3dlil/****.gif[/IMG]
                    Don't take it so hard. Lets see what of the polls that gets most votes.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Spiffor: can you read? Plz look up two posts above trips there's a link. Should I add a smilie to sound more friendly.
                      Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

The nayes are winning the other poll .

Comment

The Other Poll
                          "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                          -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

there is already a poll out there. this one doesn't count!

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                              there is already a poll out there. this one doesn't count!
                              I have to agree. I don't mind either way, I think there just ought to be some consistancy in our polls, and any redundant ones should not be counted. :

Comment

Working...
                              X