The Korean Civilization II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LoneWolf
    Ah, well, too bad for you, then. I don't know what "theory" you are referring to.
    BTW, what is the significance of a hairy rabbit turd, with a car drawn on it?
    If I didn't know better, I'd say a representation of your brain in traffic...
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Well, its good to know that you do, in fact, know better.

BTW, you don't need to quote when you reply right away.
      I'd rather have a German division in front of me than a French division behind me.--Patton

Comment

• I'm new to the forum and got interested by this thread.
        Being a Korean-Canadian myself, I think I can give some opinions of my own on the topic.
        I"ll start with the colonization of Korea.
        First, Korea was never conquered by Mongolians.
        What Mongolia did with Korea was simply an armistice.
        So, technically speaking, Korea was not a part of Mongol empire like China or some parts of Europe. Of course, you can't deny the fact that Koreans still had to do what Mongolians asked them, although Korea was not a colony or a subordinate of Mongolia.
        And for Japanese rule, you know what?
        The agreement that handed Korea's sovereignty over to Japan was actually an illegal treaty in international law point of view, because the treaty was not signed by a Korean King. So, it was technically again, illegal occupation.
        I might sound quibbling, but this is true as to what really happened.
        BTW, continue with what you have been talking about. Don't get sidetracked to history because of my post. I just wanted to say this after reading some previous posts.

Comment

• I hope we DO get sidetracked to history! This is turning too much into a big fight than a real post.
          Wrestling is real!

Comment

• Silk is not suited for combat.

Aren't some things in paratrooper's equipment made of (artificial?) silk?

Comment

• Silk is not suited for combat at all, but I guess Asians might use it because iron would be scare in some areas. Silk was never used extensively in Europe. Paratroopers need light gear so some of their equipment is silk. But silk and iron have been abandoned as armor.

I know this is weird, but North Korean soldiers in the Korean War were called "zipperheads." I think this is because their heads seem to unzip after you shoot them with a high powered rifle. This sounds very gross, but do you think it's because their heads are that way or because they weren't provided with proper helmets? Or our guns are just that powerful?
              Wrestling is real!

Comment

• actually raaslin another post actually answered it and u prolly saw the post genisfarb wrote:

"Actually the mongols wore silk shirts under their armor. Silk is a very strong fiber and while the arrow heads might pierce their skin, it wouldn't pierce the silk which made them all but immune to poisoned arrows. (historical side note)
                "
                :-p

Comment

• Rasslin if our gun was so powerful that it blew ppl's head like that, "zipperhead" wouldnt necessarily be limited to n.k troops... I think n.ks dont wear helmets but so do many other troops, so thats not it either i think. I dunno exactly what ur referring to but it prolly has another story to it that Im not aware of

Comment

• Originally posted by stationery
                    I'm new to the forum and got interested by this thread.
                    Being a Korean-Canadian myself, I think I can give some opinions of my own on the topic.
                    I"ll start with the colonization of Korea.
                    First, Korea was never conquered by Mongolians.
                    What Mongolia did with Korea was simply an armistice.
                    So, technically speaking, Korea was not a part of Mongol empire like China or some parts of Europe. Of course, you can't deny the fact that Koreans still had to do what Mongolians asked them, although Korea was not a colony or a subordinate of Mongolia.
                    And for Japanese rule, you know what?
                    The agreement that handed Korea's sovereignty over to Japan was actually an illegal treaty in international law point of view, because the treaty was not signed by a Korean King. So, it was technically again, illegal occupation.
                    I might sound quibbling, but this is true as to what really happened.
                    BTW, continue with what you have been talking about. Don't get sidetracked to history because of my post. I just wanted to say this after reading some previous posts.
                    Oh come on, Korea was conquered, stop whining about technicalities there, even my parents will tell you that we have been conquered by all the nations stated above. If it pleases you lets not use the word "conquer", but rather "had to kiss a$$" because we couldnt do anything about it, which we cant deny~

Comment

• I know this seems stupid to ask, but why would helmets be provided to suicide bombers? The mindset is about the same between a suicide bomber and a nk soldier; they don't care about their life in combat. I saw a history channel show about guns in the Korean War which said that soldiers needed a better rifle to fight mass waves of nk soldiers. Unfortunately, the M-16 didn't help us much in Vietnam.
                      Wrestling is real!

Comment

• Is this the Korean thread or the Dog Meat thread?

Comment

• Both!
                          Wrestling is real!

Comment

• This thread still lives.. I expected this one to be buried long ago!

Comment

• I'm going to *attempt* to turn this thread into something more constructive and meaningful.

Here's a bit of news from CNN about Korea's education system (something we discussed earlier):

"Korea and Japan top best education report" (Nov. 26, 2002)
                              View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health at CNN.com.

A quote from the article:

"South Korea has the most effective education system of the world's richest countries, with Japan in second place and the United States and Germany near the bottom, a United Nations study has said."

So, for those of you who think Korea is some primitive, dog-eating, MASH-like country located in Southeast Asia, please WAKE UP! Korea is a developed, high-tech country, with one of the world's greatest cuisines, in a beautiful green setting, and located in NORTHEAST ASIA (very cold in the winter!)
                              "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Comment

• I wouldn't trust that study much. The US spends much more on education than Korea, and that study claims that we are low on the list. I can't believe Germany also scored low. The reason they score so high is that there is a lot of competition to get a good job out of college. Here in America, there are plenty of good jobs out there so who needs an education?

Strangely enough, Korea has a very high population density so I would logically expect low scores. Take inner city New York, LA, or Chicago for example. If that study is accurate about an average Korean, I can't imagine how high a Korean from the suburbs would score! Or are inner city kids from Korea smarter than the suburbs kids? It would be the opposite of what we have here.
                                Wrestling is real!

Comment

Working...
                                X