Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra Pack: English Spelling for Cities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you pronounce Szczecin? shtsheshin?
    CSPA

Comment

Is that a Russian's vodka induced way of saying Chechen.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
        how do you pronounce Szczecin? shtsheshin?
        It's sh-tch-e-ts-in. But I'm not a Pole, so I can never be too sure, though I'm reading a book on Polish history now. I was surprised to find out that Gdansk was founded way back at the 10th century by the Poles!

Comment

it seems that speaking proper polish requires massive amounts of alcohol
          CSPA

Comment

It's sh-tch-e-tsyy-een. I think.

And well.. even Brandenburg (Branebor) was founded by the Slavs.
            Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Actually every eastern germany city was founded by slaves.. Berlin as well
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

The same goes for southern and eastern Austrian cities, although there are Roman settlements too.
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

It would certainly be very weird to have both Stettin and Szczecin on the map.
                  Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

I'd help with Finnish citynames, but shamefully there isn't a Finnish Civ, and even if there was the english-speaking translators probably wouldn't had bothered with our gibberishy town-names.

Original names for me.

(Hope it spells ok)

Comment

Well, VaaQ, why don't you design your own Finnish Civ with a city list, a ruler with title, great leaders, favorite/shunned government and of course with a UU. As for the graphics for the leaderhead and the unique unit we could have a look later on. Just post your suggestions in a new thread.
                      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

It would be cool if we had the original names for all the civ cities, and even quite a few that the game forgot. Even for America. And maybe we could even add some modern Mexican city names to the Aztecs?
                        But then that would get confusing. City names as close to the original names as possible, and then you include a list of the original names with the modern names so people don't get too confused.
                        Whew! I'm back and ready to start writing again.
                        Coming soon: Pax America Redux (Including concepts/civs from Conquests)

Comment

I voted for English names, since there are technical problems with localized names that you can´t even imagine.

I was a games localizator for quite a long time and I know how difficult is to implement foreign fonts ito a game so that it won´t show some nonsense in some cases. During Heroes III Czech localization, we never managed to get big marked letters into the game, although we tried. Putting Czech fonts into NHL 2k and fixing bugs in it took 3 weeks. That we are able to see the ü-like characters won´t mean that a Chinese or Arabic localized windows will support these. Fonts problems would be so massive if you put all the original names into official game version.
                          And I think that you must agree that Muenchen and Koeln is terrible spelling.

And no one has mentioned that not only the cities names, but also some units names and civilopedia entries vary from country to country! So if I want to have the cities names localized, then I don´t want to find persian leaders Darius and Cyrus, but Dareios and Kyros, which is our language version!

Comment

Originally posted by ranskaldan
                            On one hand, history does have examples of Stettin, Breslau and Danzig changing to Szczecin, Wroclaw and Gdansk.
                            Strange... Bresslau is also a German version of Breclav, on the Czech - Austrian border. And a "Preslava" is ancient name for Bratislava, Slvoak capital. Looks like all these threee cities have in fact the same name, only in different versions :-)

Comment

Happens.

Galicia appears in dozen versions too:

Galicia (in Spain)
                              Galicia (in Poland/Ukraine)
                              Galatia (Turkey)
                              Gallia (=Gaul)
                              Gael
                              Celt
                              Wales (I'm almost sure that Wales is a mutation of "Gael" somewhere)
                              etc.

And don't forget "slav". Name one thousand examples of "-slav-" or "-slov-" appearing in an Eastern European city name. I think we already have Wroclaw/Breslau, Bratislava, Preclav. And that's all the same name!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkle
                                I voted for English names, since there are technical problems with localized names that you can´t even imagine.
                                And I think that you must agree that Muenchen and Koeln is terrible spelling.

And no one has mentioned that not only the cities names, but also some units names and civilopedia entries vary from country to country!
                                I think I resolved most of the problems (I finally put localized names in the mod). Where possble, also the leaders got the localized names. And in the Civ version, special characters are no problem, you'll be perfectly able to see "München". And I don't think it's a terrible spelling, OK, I'm a German speaker. It was odd though to have Bombay be spelled Mumbai and Delhi Dilli...
                                As for the Civilopedia entries, you're right, I didn't dig into them, but no one complained up to now...

Comment

Working...
                                X