Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra Pack: English Spelling for Cities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer native spellings.

As an idea. How about changing the names to the spelling used by the nation that captures a city?

If the French capture London it be renamed Londres, if the Romans capture York its renamed Eborium, the English capture Koln it gets called Cologne. etc
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

well... that is not possible.
      Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

I know, it was a hypothetical "It would be good if you could". As an idea, how does it strike you?

Comment

What if the Chinese captured London? ..I think it would be too confusing.
          Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

What do the Chinese call London?

Presumably where cultures are so different the name will not be culturally changed.

Hong Kong is still called Hong Kong for example.

Comment

But then it should change to the different letters maybe? ;D
              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

That would be too confusing because most French cities have a Roman name. Then Rome could end up having many of their city names duplicated.

Comment

Will Chinese/Japanese/Korean letters appear on Civ3? I haven't tried...but I can help with the PinYin Romanisation though.

As for when China drives its tanks through London, it will be renamed Lundun

As for renaming cities when conquered, maybe we should have an official thread for city lists in different languages so obsessed people can manually change them everytime they march their tanks into another foreign city.

Hong Kong is actually Xianggang in Mandarin Chinese...what a messy world.

Comment

I voted for München

Original names all the way!

Comment

I vote for original names. For example Köln, München and of cource Heidelberg.
                      Arne · Das Civilization Forum

Comment

Lyon, Marseille, Reims, Orléans...

as for duplicated names, is that a problem? I guess french get a "New Orleans" and english get a "New York" in due time...

and what about translating those "new" prefixes?

doesnt "New München" sound a bit awkward? "Neu(es?) München" would be better (not sure about the neu, neuer, neues, sorry, my german is rusty)
                        Lernu la internacian lingvon!

Comment

I think it would be Nouvelle Orleans instead
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

On one hand, history does have examples of Stettin, Breslau and Danzig changing to Szczecin, Wroclaw and Gdansk. But on the other hand, storing a different name for EVERY SINGLE civilization for every single city is far too much for what it's worth.

Hence, I suggest that we put each city name as its original, native name (and adopting a unified Romanization system for Asian languages, PLEASE). End of story.
                            (side effect, if Damascus is Dimashq and Cairo is Al-Qahira, how many people would recognize what they are?)
                            Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

quote: (side effect, if Damascus is Dimashq and Cairo is Al-Qahira, how many people would recognize what they are?)

well, the more I learn, the more I'm content )

hmmm about Jerusalem... Yerushalaim or Al-Qods?
                              Lernu la internacian lingvon!

Comment

Originally posted by ranskaldan
                                (side effect, if Damascus is Dimashq and Cairo is Al-Qahira, how many people would recognize what they are?)
                                If it educates, then its not a problem. As long as the cost of the research is minimal so as not to impact on the game selling cost, I would enjoy the geography lesson. I doubt this would be the case though - its a cost with no real value being added to the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X