Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra Pack: English Spelling for Cities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i believe every city name i gave you was actually in mccune-reischauer. but no matter, i can find the MOE version very easily. pm me a list of the cities and i'll get them back to you.
    B♭3

Comment

I can maybe help you out too, if you need it
      Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

München!!
        probably the special characters should be removed, but still the original names:
        ä ö ü --> ae oe ue
        à á â --> a
        é è ë --> e
        and so on...
        The game accepts all kinds of accented letters and special characters , so no don't remove them. "Muenchen" and "Koeln" look stupid.
        CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
          The game accepts all kinds of accented letters and special characters , so no don't remove them. "Muenchen" and "Koeln" look stupid.
          the game does, but do the non-german character-sets display it correctly? if yes: then forget the 'oe's
          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

So, everyone: Do you see the ä or don't you?
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I can see it fine. It's just my keyboard doesn't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless
                I can see it fine. It's just my keyboard doesn't have it.
                look closer.. press the button just left of 'enter', it has the .. on it, and then a, o or u. i may be wrong on this, but it is like that on my keyboard.
                Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

even on american systems, it's capable of displaying those umlaut, tilde, accent, grave characters. you just have to do the alt + xxxx character sequence for that.

but it shouldn't be a problem, odds are civ3 will display them.

so use the marks.
                  B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    even on american systems, it's capable of displaying those umlaut, tilde, accent, grave characters. you just have to do the alt + xxxx character sequence for that.

but it shouldn't be a problem, odds are civ3 will display them.

so use the marks.
                    great!

so wernezuma! no compatibility issues... i'm looking forward to v1.0 (functioning) of the extrapack!

Comment

Well, M(umlaut)nchen would probably be a better choice for the international version, but what about all the poor americans who won't buy the game because they'll be confused about these 'weirdo-sounding city names'
                      (Cater to the uneducated )
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                        Well, M(umlaut)nchen would probably be a better choice for the international version, but what about all the poor americans who won't buy the game because they'll be confused about these 'weirdo-sounding city names'
                        (Cater to the uneducated )

well... El-Ashmunein, Shuruppak, Thermopylae, Krasnoyarsk, Tureng Tepe didn't stop them from buying the game in the first place. neither did Calixtlahuaca, Xochicalco, Tepetlaoxtoc, Tlapanaloya, Isandhlwana or Gandasetaigon

anyhow, this is an extrapack buy the community, so they don't need to pay for it anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by HighCouncil
                          This English spelling **** sucks.
                          The original names are much better and more realistic.

I thought nobody around here cared about "realism" with Civ 3?

OK, let's have the Japanese and Chinese names in the characters of their languages, also. I want the Egyptian names in ancient cartouches; we can use the Rosetta Stone to decypher them. Babylonian cuneiform should be interesting.

Comment

Go München. My son is studying there. He has never been in "Munich".

Comment

--whooosh--

(sound of point flying clear over coracle's head)

no, see, by english spelling, wernazuma was referring to the common english version of a foreign city. thus, münchen would be rendered as munich, not as münchen.

what is daejon would be written as taejon by standard english, but using the native romanization system, it would be daejon.
                              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

I thought nobody around here cared about "realism" with Civ 3?

OK, let's have the Japanese and Chinese names in the characters of their languages, also. I want the Egyptian names in ancient cartouches; we can use the Rosetta Stone to decypher them. Babylonian cuneiform should be interesting.
                                That would be great. But you also want to put English subtitle for them so you can actually learn several interesting languages.

On the serious side, every non-latin language in this world has its form of latinization. We are only proposing to use those instead of what is being used in common English. If a civ's language uses latin letters, then we should use their names directly.

Comment

Working...
                                X