Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nationality.(this ain't gonna be what you think it is)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by QBrick

Did you ever notice, that Italian 16th cent cathedrals look much different from cathedrals in Germany in the same period?
      So, if Russia is a mixture of Asia and Europe, then it'd be more precise to say, Russia is a mixture between Asia and France, Italy, Spain, England, Netherlands, Danmark, Sweden, Austria, Germany and several others.
      I'm not an expert, but as for me the cathedrals of all these countries had many common with each other. If you look on Russian cathedrals, they are absolutely different from European (Catholic) cathedrals. For example the most famous Russian cathedral:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Serb; September 17, 2002, 00:40.

Comment

Originally posted by QBrick
        I'd guess, there must be something 'original' in Russian culture, too.
        Of course our culture is original. We have our original arts, our more then a thousand years old original religion, our own alphabet, our own trditions, our own architecture, etc.
        Last edited by Serb; September 17, 2002, 00:42.

Comment

Go look at the Kremlin cathederals again and you will see many by Italian architects
          "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Russia is quite differnant to the rest of europe (I would do that Churchill quote, but cannot remenber it.) Russia has had occasional flowering of western contact , then a period of self-isolation by turning itself inward.

PS. The Reds did the same thing. Obvously more Russian than Communist.
            How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

You mean the "I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I am from the USA but I live in Scotland at the moment.

Comment

Many may pick a flag that doesn't reflect the country they live in , just to be obstinate or to reflect some other ethnic pride - I live in the US but I am of Scots-Irish descent, hence the flag.
                  "If you find yourself falling into madness - dive." - Malkavian Proverb.

Comment

I happen to be of Scots-Irish decent as well but many Scots here just tell me I'm a 'Yank' lol

Comment

Comment

What about New Zealand? The only country where people claim they are flightless birds (kiwis). It is much more important than Oz! After all we ARE nuclear free! I would also like to note, Russia is Russia is Russia. The Ural range Divide is one of the stupidest most arbitery (I think that's the right word) continental divides in existence (and Civ 3 would never recognise it!'')
                        Anyway, What about us Kiwis?
                        I am your God Apophis- Stargate SG1 (Brilliant line)

Comment

About cathedrals_ most of the european ones are in St. Petersburg as my brand new art book bought in Romania suggests.. curiously the place is called Leningrad

BTW how dare you not to add Finland and Italy?
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Really weird choices, those are...

I guess I'll vote for Canada then. But be sure to include more non-Western (read: any non-Western) country in the future.
                            Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

It is mainly Europeans who get pissed off with yanks showing other flags.... 'Yes, my great,great,great grandaddy was from Ireland! I can use the Irish flag!
                              MY parents are irish, but I live in England, and you see I fly the 'old Union Jack!
                              How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

The Scots were actually a Celtic faction that invaded Scotland from Ireland! I thought i'd confuse the situation a bit more!
                                I love PEPSI! (twitching and shivering profusely)

Comment

Working...
                                X