Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¿Which 3 european civs deserve to be present in Civ4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switzerland! Switzerland! Switzerland! I'd like to see Spain (it's coming in PTW, good), England, Germany, France...Italy?...
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

all civ should be in, more is always merrier. why limit yourself to 3 euro civ? wouldnt that be like affirmative action agst euro civs in civ 4?
      :-p

Comment

Heck even throw in Russia AND soviet union... since they should be more than considered as different civ.

of course i speak unrealistically cause firaxis is not gonna throw in 200+ civs in a single game, but you understand my point that they all deserve to be in... or will they throw 200+?..... (mysterious grin)
        :-p

Comment

3 Civs

I would have to say:

Spain
          Turks
          Vikings

Spain is definitely missing out, having been a major power for a period during the medieval era and still remaining a player in world politics today.

The Turks ruled a massive region during the Ottoman Empire, lasting several centuries up until World War I.

The Vikings tend to be the lesser-known of historical powers because they were somewhat isolated from the major battlefields of Europe and the Middle-East. However, they accomplished much more than is well-known, including being the first-known European culture to land on the Americas.

----------------------------

Among some other choices, I'd also include:

Poles
          Dutch
          Portugese
          Basques

----------------------------

I skimmed through the posts after the first few and somewhere along noticed someone mention an Italian civ?

While, of course, the more Italian the better we already have the Romans and that is enough for the game. The current state of unified Italy is only slightly over 100 years old.

Many Italians consider themselves half-Italian. The other half is from Padania, Etruscan, or of any of the other several ethnic groups of Italy. The Roman Empire is something most Italians will willingly accept that they have in common.
          Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité.
          Ich stütze Palestina.
          El hedudd.
          iViva la Milano!

Comment

I skimmed through the posts after the first few and somewhere along noticed someone mention an Italian civ?

While, of course, the more Italian the better we already have the Romans and that is enough for the game. The current state of unified Italy is only slightly over 100 years old.

Many Italians consider themselves half-Italian. The other half is from Padania, Etruscan, or of any of the other several ethnic groups of Italy. The Roman Empire is something most Italians will willingly accept that they have in common.
            Maybe we should include all the minor Italian states then:

Milanese, Venetians, Florentines, Savoy/Kingdom of Sardinia, Papal State, Kingdom of Both Sicilies and so on...

j/k

But I personally think the more civs, the better.

I would love to play in a very huge map with some 1000+ civs in it

Saluti
            "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
            The trick is the doing something else."
            — Leonardo da Vinci
            "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
            "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

Now if we could have a 10000x10000 map with about three or four thousand civs, that ought to cover the majority of the world! Would definitely make for an interesting game if all several thousand civs played at once...

Maybe there will be some massive breakthrough in computer science so we can have that much stuff for Civ4!

Then again that may be rather unlikely, so at least include Milan Or maybe a whole Civ game JUST for the Italian states! I know: Every nation gets their own Civ game. Maybe toss in some mythology... let's see we can have Romulus and Remus; the story of Aeneas. Greece can have Illiad and the Odyssey and China the Three Kingdoms. England: Lord of the Rings!

Back a little more on topic... I fully agree: the more Civs the better. I don't mind the wait in between turns, since it lets me think of my strategy as I watch nearby enemy units move about. The only thing I can't stand watching are all my workers move about!
              Ich stütze Palestina.
              El hedudd.
              iViva la Milano!

Comment

I like the vatican and his swiss army...
                Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
                religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

Originally posted by Serb
                  What?
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

What?

Comment

Top 3 Missing Euro Civs

Alright I just bought PTW yesterday. Turns out all my choices for three new Civs are pretty much represented!

Although personally I think having Turks would have been a little better than the Ottomans. Ottomans were only around a couple centuries; Turks were around before then and are still around today.

So I guess now my top 3 are:

Dutch
                      Portugese
                      Basques

And coming in a close fourth would be the Poles.

Then again Europe is already represented pretty well. Personally, I think the game could use more American and Australian civs. Aboriginees, Incans, and Mayans should all be included. In kind of bothers me when I'm playing a realistic Earth map, only to have the Iroquis and Zulu become the most powerful nations because Europe and southeastern Asia are all battling for land. Then again, I suppose that just lends a viewpoint on what could have come to be should the Iroquis and Zulu been more expansionistic and technology-oriented...
                      Ich stütze Palestina.
                      El hedudd.
                      iViva la Milano!

Comment

Let us stop being so Euro-centric! Come with me, and let us look a a atlas! Can you see that there are OTHER continants on our rather pathetic planet? I would like to see though

Incas (Just to fill up south America)
                        Benin/Nigeria (Big hole in west Africa)
                        Polenesians (so we can get them sailing around the world, settiling on remote Pascific islands)
                        Ethopians (they were the pride of Africa)

I rather like these ideas now, and I will now start making a customised world for them!
                        (If anybody knows about UU's leader names, etc. please tell me.

Cheers
                        How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

Ok. Imagine I am playing Marla World Map, and I am being a medioce England. By 2000AD, we allways end up as

1) China
                          2) Egypt
                          3) India
                          4) Zulu
                          5) Aztecs
                          6) America
                          7) Russia
                          8) Persia
                          9) Germans
                          10) Greeks
                          11) France
                          12) Japan
                          13) England

Finished
                          14) Iroquis (1000 AD)
                          15) Babalonians (350 AD)
                          16) Rome (20 AD)

As you see, Europe allways lagges behind, due to the lack of wars in Europe ( I allways seem to see German, Greek and French cities sitting in Siberia, while Russia is being stunted because she sometimes gets blocked entirely form expancion eastword) Is there a way to tell European Nations to

a) Fight lots of wars to gain cities
                          b) Attempt to build up land masses of each civ, instead of them being all mixed up?

I made them more agressive and Militristic, which helped, but it could be better!

Comment

At what difficulty are you playing? I thought that helps as well.

Comment

King.

I was on Marla's World map (If you aint got it, download from www.civfanatics.com). I have played over 100 games, at all levels, and have seen that England never seem to be able to gain any cities on mainland Europe (unless I was England) and she usally occupies just Britain, Ireland, Scottish islands and Iceland. In my experiance, there is not much suprise in this map, (unless you create it) but it is such a cool map!

Comment

Your Wrong!

Although personally I think having Turks would have been a little better than the Ottomans. Ottomans were only around a couple centuries; Turks were around before then and are still around today.

Just saw that ^

Wrong.

Let us run through some History

2002-1920 Turkey
                                1920-1452 Ottoman Empire
                                1452-610 Bazintine Empire
                                610 - 100 BC Roman Empire
                                100 - 336 Various Greek States
                                336 - 550 Persian Empire
                                550 BC --> Varoius

And Turkey has only been called Turkey since about 1850. Before (and sometimes still now, she is called Anitola (fear spelling is incorrect)

Bye.
                                Last edited by Silpy; November 27, 2002, 10:44.

Comment

Working...
                                X