This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America isn't old enough to be in Civ3

This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I have to say it. It is ridiculous to found Washington in 4000 BC! In a regular game, it takes 250 turns before it's 1490 AD. So it takes nearly half of the game before you're in the years Columbus made his trip to the west! It takes more as 300 turns before America's independence. Americans are just the descendants of some Europeans and Africans. So why are the Americans included as an independent tribe? Just because the US is the most powerful nation in the world? Austria and Turkey also were large empires once, and so were more countries which haven't been included.
    Yes! God bless America!
    47.41%
    No! Only civilized nations deserve to be independent!
    42.24%
    I don't care.
    10.34%

Been there, done that.

Comment

So you are saying that Civ3 should be a historical simulator instead of a civilization-based strategy game? That's a tired, irrelevant argument, imo.

Comment

Since when is America not a civlized nation?

Comment

Ahh. True that it takes that long to get to America's independance. however, thats only 2/3 of the game! Rome didn't last nearly as many turns as we have! In the 20th century alone there is 100 turns! ===ALWAYS=== When you toss in an extra 60 from before that we last for easily 150 turns. How many other nations can say that? not egypt. not rome. certianly not carthage. Babylon? Hah! Persia? NOT EVEN!

Plus, if we ain't in we're going to pull out the damn nukes and do some butt kicking.
          By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

i am the first to bash them but they have at least one wonder of the world - civ series

Comment

*sniff* *sniff* Do I smell a troll?

Comment

It's not age, it's importance.

Persia didn't last long as historical standards go. But at their height, they were the most important empire around.

Right now, America is king sh*t of f*ck mountain, and has been the single most important leader of world change over the past 60 years. Like it or not.

If you want to get rid of unimportant civs, I'd vote for the Iroquois first. And then the Zulus.

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Hehe Fresno, u should´nt mess with these yankees, they were getting more patriotic during last 2 weeks. Do this poll again, in, lets say, 6 months.
                  Roman: Civilization belongs to the civilized. Attila: It belogs to those who have the power to conquer it. Me: Nope, it belongs to me. Coz ive paid 50 bucks and it has a 30 days satisfaction guarantee.
                  Asesino_Virtual

Comment

How many other nations can say that?

Most European countries, based on logic of time periods Iceland Denmark, Holland, Switzerland, Portugal etc should be in.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

America should definitely be in the game. No currently existing nation has been around since 4000BC. Not even China.
                      Rome rules

Comment

I am an Atheist, so I cannot vote for America in this poll.
                        Rome rules

Comment

Originally posted by Roman
                          America should definitely be in the game. No currently existing nation has been around since 4000BC. Not even China.
                          Another good point. Yeah, why are the Germans ok if Germany didn't even become a country until 1870s? By the logic of this thread, they only civs that should be in the game would be Sumeria and Egypt. Now there would be an exciting game!!!
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Another good point. Yeah, why are the Germans ok if Germany didn't even become a country until 1870s? By the logic of this thread, they only civs that should be in the game would be Sumeria and Egypt. Now there would be an exciting game!!!
                            Germany has been around alot longer than 1870's. I have ancesotors going back to 2b.c. from Germany. I have records of ancestors from the 1500's. Germany has been around for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamison

Germany has been around alot longer than 1870's. I have ancesotors going back to 2b.c. from Germany. I have records of ancestors from the 1500's. Germany has been around for a while.
                              You will note that I said "became a COUNTRY."

There was no nation of Germany until 1870s. There were a ton of independent states with Germanic peoples, and Austria, but no Germany.

My point was you can't judge a civ based on its inception as an actual nation. If we look at America, it had been going since well before independence in 1779. The colonies were developed into an "American" culture as early as 1700. That's 300 years, about just as long as the Persian empire lasted. And many many years longer than Alexander's empire.

So let's quit griping about the Americans being in the game. They belong there as much as the English, French, Germans and Russians do.

Cheers.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X