Which civ will you use in Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which civ will you use in Civ3?

Now, every civ is different from each other in their ability, which civ do you prefer to use?
    As a builder, not a fighter, I'm very happy to see my country, China, has science and industry ability. I think I will continue to use it. I also used American often in Civ2, but I don't think I'll use it often in Civ3, I've no interesting on expansionist. I'll also try Greek and French.
    Which civ will you use? Which civilization's ablitlities have the best effects do you think?
    Last edited by easy; August 14, 2001, 13:26.

I'll also use Chine (from what I know at this current state of time) as I like building up my Civ, and the abilities of China seams perfect for that.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Not all the civs are different in their ablities. The Aztecs and Japanese are both Militaristic/Religious, and the English and Germans are both Commerical/Expansionist. There is no civ that is Militaristic/Scientific.

In all previous civ games, I felt the first turns were very important, although it may be less so since ICS has been hindered by the fact that a settler subtracts 2 from your pop. This makes Expansionist appealing to me, with its two bonuses of better stuff from barb villages and starting out with a scout.

Given this, I think Chinese Scientific/Industrious, and Russians Scientific/Expansionist sound the most appealing without knowing the exact details of the game yet.

However since culture sounds very important, I may also pick the ability along with science that contributes most to culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Pembleton
        Not all the civs are different in their ablities. The Aztecs and Japanese are both Militaristic/Religious, and the English and Germans are both Commerical/Expansionist. There is no civ that is Militaristic/Scientific.
        But they have different Units.
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Hmm - I'm leaning toward shutting off the "unique" stuff for most of my games but I will definitely try out the various Civs. Which one will I go for first? Depends on whether I feel like building something or smashing something, I guess.
          What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Oh a really intresting question.

My most spontanious answer would be China too. I usually dominated civ2 with a scientifc edge and high production while commercials wasn't of much interest.

But after a while of thinking it gets somewhat more hard. I think that 'industrious' is the ability I'll stick to since faster workers might help out to boast commerical and scientific development. I feel my knowledge in the field of economic history will make me superious!

All the other seems somewhat tempting also though. The only one that I wouldn't want is 'expansionist', the effects seems a bit weak.

Comment

I'll use the Americans regardless of the civ abilities. When I play MP with my brother we will once again argue on who gets to be the Americans. Usually a game of paper, rock, scissors solves that, though.

I'm not really sure what civ I like the most in terms of abilities. Maybe China might be my fav. in that aspect. I like to discover all the techs as soon as possible (just look at my name). Plus I like to have my workers really fast for micromanagement.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I Think I'll opt for Russians, because I like to expand fast early in the game. First because of the goody huts.

Second because when you build several cities, your empire grows, making you less vulnerable than one city only. So making new cities early will create several small cities in stead of some larger ones. No ICS, but a sound strategy though.

Third, when you expand, you'll find your opponents quicker. That obviously provides advantages. Trading tech etc.

And science is also very important as well. All depends on that. If you have better tech, you'll have better soldiers etc.

So the combination of expansionist/scientific does it for me!

But, after playing and actually testing I might have to adjust my opinion...
                Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

It looks there are much more builders than fighters.

Comment

Well, first you have to build, than you can fight.

It makes no sense to start a fight when you are still a puny civ.

So first you'll make sure you become more powerful, then you can build an army and smack your opponents!
                    Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                    If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                    "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

I will probably go with the Babylonians. With science I have a good "currency" for diplomatic trade so I have a better chance of remaining at peace and the religion gives a higher cultural score so I can dominate the world by absorbing other cultures into my own.

Sounds like a great game for a perfectionist!

John-SJ

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                        I'll use the Americans regardless of the civ abilities. When I play MP with my brother we will once again argue on who gets to be the Americans. Usually a game of paper, rock, scissors solves that, though.

I'm not really sure what civ I like the most in terms of abilities. Maybe China might be my fav. in that aspect. I like to discover all the techs as soon as possible (just look at my name). Plus I like to have my workers really fast for micromanagement.
                        Why? Some sort of nationalistic tendencies? I never play as the Americans in CIv2 and I like to edit the rules.txt to replace them with a real civilisation like the Iroquois (for playing on the world map, it is generally in the right starting location).

I think I will create a custom civ first and assign it the scientific-industrious combo like China. But in MP games with CSAs on (Civ-Specific Abilities; coining an abbreviation ), I will try to play China.
                        "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                        "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Why? Some sort of nationalistic tendencies?
                          Well kind of, it's just that I like to rule the Americans. I do play other civs once in awhile as well. I primarily like to play with the Americans, though. For more reaons than one. I know the history more than any other civ, I like building the American cities more because I am familiar with all cities I build (unlike some civs where I'm not familair of a few cities), I like being able to fight some of America's enemies over the course of history (e.g. Germans, Russians, Japanese), I can be some of my favorite presidents ever (e.g. Abraham Lincoln, Franklyn Roosevelt), the whole nationalistic thing, I will like to be able to have F-15s, and um that's about it.

real civilisation
                          Go to the Civilization thread to discuss that and I will prove you wrong.
                          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Agree with you. I usually use China and US since I feel familar with those city names. However for other civils, I really don't understand their names such as "dead buffalo" etc. It looks that I mayuse Greek and French in Civ3, I'm considering to rename all their cities as "A", "B", "C", "D" ...

There is a big advantage to use American in the world map, there is no other civils around, so I can develop myself. It's too much crowded in Europe, I can't image how to make a live there.

Originally posted by TechWins

Well kind of, it's just that I like to rule the Americans. I do play other civs once in awhile as well. I primarily like to play with the Americans, though. For more reaons than one. I know the history more than any other civ, I like building the American cities more because I am familiar with all cities I build (unlike some civs where I'm not familair of a few cities), I like being able to fight some of America's enemies over the course of history (e.g. Germans, Russians, Japanese), I can be some of my favorite presidents ever (e.g. Abraham Lincoln, Franklyn Roosevelt), the whole nationalistic thing, I will like to be able to have F-15s, and um that's about it.

Go to the Civilization thread to discuss that and I will prove you wrong.
                            Last edited by easy; August 15, 2001, 16:05.

Comment

For more reaons than one. I know the history more than any other civ, I like building the American cities more because I am familiar with all cities I build (unlike some civs where I'm not familair of a few cities
                              Otherwise you might actually learn something about the world, how terrible! oh well just the cultural incest of america at work I guess

Comment

Working...
                              X