Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else have some problems with the civ specific abilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else have some problems with the civ specific abilities?

i like the idea behind civ specific abilities but not what firaxis is doing with it.

why aren't the germans industious? don't they have the best engineers? weren't the romans expansionists? how come america isn't a commercial civ? we're the bussiness giants of the world!

there's other weird ones too, tell me what you think, people.
    Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

fix it in the editor

Comment

Right. Fix it if you don't like it. OR Turn it all off.

Comment

Yeah, I thought some of them were odd as well - like the US should be Industrious and commercial - not industrious and expansive - the US may be a cultural imperialist but it isn't a geographic imperialist.

But, like they say - you can edit or turn it off.
        What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

hmm then howd we happen to start from the east coast make are way to the west, then happen to catch hawaii, alaska, peurto rico, guam.. sure sounds like expansionist to me...

i think U.S should be expansionist/commercial..

Comment

true dat.

Comment

Do you really think of that as a product of an expansionist nation? It seems to me more like the product of getting mountains of colonists/refugees dumped on the shores of a fairly sparsely populated continent. If that is expansionist then Canada and Brazil are two of the all time most expansionist countries. Being a Canadian, I can tell you that being "expansionist" is not something we are often accused of.

Victorian England, Bonapartean France, Rome - now those are what I think of as expansionist.
              What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

thankyou

the germans shouldn't be expansionistic without having hitler as their leader

Comment

Personally, I'd give the Germans scientific/industrious. The US had their own little wave of colonisation in the Pacific (and the Southwest US, and attempted the same thing on Canada twice, BTW), so I think we can call the US "expansionistic".
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well... depends how you look on things...

First of all, Firaxis doesn't want two races that are the same but since I'm too lazy to check your complaints if they are editable, I will just leave it at that.

Secondly, due to the first post, some races will be added accodingly. Americans ARE commercial, but I couldn't disagree with Firaxis for making them industrious instead (a la 90 percent of America's history)
                    Romans are really a variety of things. In the first place Militaristic (more than expansionist), but they also had capabilities in the BUILDING of empires, not just claiming them, thus the industrial bonus.
                    About Germany, I agree, they should not be commercial, but hey, we have already got an industrious expansionist (America).

Long post yet I achieve nothing... don't think it needs major tweaking.
                    Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Comment

yeah, i think if any civ is scientificlt inclined it's the germans. how are the russians science inclined?

Comment

Err.... as in nuclear science, rocketry (yes americans, if it weren't for fund problems, they'd have beat you to the moon 5 years earlier), many Chemists... it was just the oppressive (DESPOTISM, high corruption, low science) regime that cut it down all those years. But some of the most brilliant people came and still come from Russia.
                        Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Comment

I have very little problems with the specific abilities. The US is clearly more industrious than commerical. How else could they made hordes of stuff during WWII? The Russians are quite scientific, they have a lot of great military hardware, and they also make a lot of stuff such as aircraft (including the world's biggest transport).

Echinda,

Canada isn't expansionistic since all the territories were given to it by the Brits.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Let's play the nice "What abilities will I give @CIV when I edit the rules" game (first

here I go:

Aztecs: Mil; Rel
                            Iroquois: Exp; Rel (though they're replaced by Spanish Com; Exp)
                            Americans: Com; Ind
                            Rusians: Exp; Sci
                            English: Com; Exp (not including Ind hurts though)
                            French: Com; Sci
                            Germans: Mil; Ind
                            Greeks: Mil, Sci
                            Romans: Mil; Exp
                            Egyptians: Com; Rel
                            Babylonians: Com; Rel
                            Persians: Com; Exp
                            Zulus: Com, Exp (Replaced by Abessinians Mil; Rel)
                            Indians: Sci; Rel
                            Japanese: Mil; Rel (replaced by Mongols Mil; Exp)
                            Chinese: Com; Sci
                            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Re: Well... depends how you look on things...

Originally posted by Eddin
                              First of all, Firaxis doesn't want two races that are the same
                              Actually, the English and German races have the same attributes.

Both the English and Germans should be scientific - some of the world's best inventions and scientists have been from England and Germany.

Why aren't the Japanese commercial? Why are the Russians scientific?

I say the Germans should be industrious and scientific, the English scientific and expanionist, the Japanese commercial and expanionist.

Comment

Working...
                              X