English or British?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tniem

No it does not. Look he is refered to as this because there is no U.S. ethnicity and that is what they were going for. The British, Egyptians, the Russians, and the Germans. All an ethniticity. The U.S. doesn't have that.

So what they substitute is Americans. It is how it has to be. It is the U.S. tribe name.
    The four states named have been overrun again and again by peoples that did not originate on the soil they now occupy. How are they any more of an "ethnicity" than the Americans (which is what U.S. citizens call themselves, however arrogant that might be). Germany spoke three dialects so separate as to be uninterperable to outsiders; Russians were overrun by Norsemen, Mongols, and dozens of Asiian tribes looking to go from nomadic to cultivation; Britain has been heavily discussed as being of dubious origin and not one culture; and Egypt has been overrun by at least five cultures (Greece, Rome, Arabs, Turks, British) since it was a major world power. America is a conglomerate, but so are the examples given for contrast.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Accidental Double Post. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
        They included Brighton and Hastings, both towns either side of Eastbourne, but not Eastbourne itself

Well Brighton has the pier and Pavillion, whilst Hastings has the East Cliff golf course and lift. Eastbourne only has old people to offer. Crowhurst, St Leonard's, Battle, Winchelsea, Rye etc have as much right to be in the game as Eastbourne.

Sheffield should have been included and was an oversight. All million plus cities should be on the list, as should any city that was important in the development of a nation or region. Places like Canterbury, Dover....

If it is a "must see" place on an American tour of European sites of historical interest then I guess it qualifies. Do you get many Americans visiting Eastbourne these days?
        Actually, we own a b&b and get numerous foreign guests - including Americans

Eastbourne has the pier- in 1996 it was Britain's 8th top tourist attraction with over 2 millions visitors (and our b&b is right near it )

And I was born in Sheffield

Comment

Actually, we own a b&b and get numerous foreign guests - including Americans

My condolences.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
          X