Leaders of the 16 civs in Civ 3, just the facts sir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tniem

Just to clarify, when you say copying, you really just mean that Activision and Microprose had both picked the same leaders for a country because they both decided that leader was important to that nation. It is just that Microprose did it first, right?
    I believe he was refering to how activision copied the whole of the game.

And I suppose that includes leader names.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Here is a larger, more defined picture of Catherine in her ancient garb. See, everyone? No beard!
      Attached Files
      The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
      "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
      "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
      The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by tniem

According to who? The U.S.?

The winners get to write history, remember that.
        I know of no instance in which the US *won* over Maoist China. Mao was a butcherer (looking at the numbers of people he killed), and the other leaders in the game aren't as bad, death toll-wise. And I am not implying that the US is not a butchering nation (the "death penalty"), but Lincoln was not as bad as Mao and Firaxis wisely chose a leader from the US's pre-imperialist period.
        "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
        "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut

I know of no instance in which the US *won* over Maoist China. Mao was a butcherer (looking at the numbers of people he killed), and the other leaders in the game aren't as bad, death toll-wise. And I am not implying that the US is not a butchering nation (the "death penalty"), but Lincoln was not as bad as Mao and Firaxis wisely chose a leader from the US's pre-imperialist period.
          I bet there are folks in the U.S. south who would compare Lincoln with Mao.

I think Mao did as much good as he did bad. He united China, ended a bloody civil war and 100 years of unstable government, and got rid of the foreign invaders.

While we can debate his merits, I would acknowledge that people like JellyDonut seem to really hate Mao. Firaxis would be wise to pick a less controversial leader, such as an emperor from the Tang dynasty (T'ang T'ai-tsung or Hsuan-tsung)

This is what Britannica has to say about the Tang dynasty:
          Tang (618–907), Chinese dynasty that succeeded the short-lived Sui dynasty and developed a successful form of government and administration on the Sui model and stimulated a cultural and artistic flowering that amounted to a golden age.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

I believe he was refering to how activision copied the whole of the game.

And I suppose that includes leader names.
            Because they were making the continuation of the civ series just like Firaxis is. They took the basic elements of a TBS game and took the basic elements of a civ game through the ages.

They took the game because that is what the court settlement allowed - them to make one game under the name Civilization: Call to Power and then all the rest under Call to Power only. So yes they copied the game but that is what they set out to do.

And in reverse, Firaxis should have incorporated some ideas from their design. The biggest being the Public Works concept (still highly debated) and possibly the happiness of cities system that was used in CtP.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Working...
            X