No announcement yet.

AU: A MOD for the curiculum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU mod 1.05 (what AU mod 1.04 should have been) is up. Sorry again.

Comment

• alexman, have you played any of AU 107 yet? I'm intrigued by Catt's report that in stock mode the AI civs are mining... I have to say, using 1.04, I am BLOWN AWAY by the AI civs. I would classify Persia, Germany, and Russia as 'killers,' with Babylon right behind, and France, as always doing well, next up.

In fact, the basic critique I would have would be spacing... otherwise, they are doing what I would expect the best human players to do (scary).
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• I have played enough of 107 to know that I am getting my butt kicked, but not enough to know the entire map yet. I'll definitely keep an eye on the monster we have created and let you know.

Comment

• I just finished my first game with AU 1.05 last night.

Level: Regent
          Civ: Germans (first try, you gotta love those Panzers! )
          Everything else random.

Got a continents map with a nice starting spot. I built 2-3 cities then archer rushed the Americans which respawned somewhere farther away. I then eliminated the English with knights (and later built my FP in London) and the Aztecs with Cavs. I used the Americans as a punching bag to get out of mobilization (between Hoover and Modern). I gained control of my continent at that date and I had a pretty productive empire (even managed to build the Iron Works, my first time since I bought the game )

I nailed most of the wonders and I have become a killer civ

1- Ships were really present in my game. Although I did not build an awful lot, I have seen many AI-AI naval fights off my coasts.

For that reason, it would be fun if you could build privateers later on in the game. I could have weakened them even more with a bunch of denationalized ships. I had a couple and I didn't upgrade them to destroyer because they lost their principal attraction.

2- I have seen a lot of AI-AI wars: The Japanese crushed the Chinese, the Zulu then attacked the newly conquered Japanese cities but the Japs allied with the Persians to fight off the Zulu and the Americans. It ended in a relative tie. All this without my involvment!!

Civs are more aggressive against each other, I like it!

3- I have not seen any difference in mining/irrigation. The AI still irrigate plains and run a checkered pattern on grassland, even though they don't need that much irrigation.

This feature must be hard coded... Too bad!

4- The new LB is great and I like the upgrade of swordmen.

5- Stayed in Monarchy and Democracy so I could not try the newly improved communism. Maybe free unit support for democracy makes it a bit too powerful... but I have seen many AI democracies.

That's about it. If you want screenshots or a save, let me know, I'll post one!!

--Kon--
          Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

• I know this is a dumb question that I'm sure I've seen the answer to many times before, but how do you install a mod?
            "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
            -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

• PB, it's a scenario... just put the BIC file in your scenario folder, and instead of starting a new game, load the AU Mod scenario.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• oic, thank you. This is the first time I've altered the game (other than patches).
                "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

• I have noticed a rather annoying bug in the au mod.

The AI researches medicine before RR due to the fact that medicine now have a wonder, which makes the AI chose that over RR

Comment

• i don't think that's a bug or even a problem.
                    "Cogito Ergo Sum" - Rene Descartes, French Mathematician

Comment

• The mod is supposed to make the AI more of a threat. The change in question does exactly the opposite.

Comment

• I was under the impression that the only factors an AI considers when selecting which tech to research is the tech's value and the civ's preferences, as listed in the editor. Steam Power has a value of 120, Medicine of 100. So without preferences, the AI will always choose Steam Power over Medicine. But some civs are (I might get the specifics wrong here) Industrious and thus prefer Medicine, which Expansionist civs covet more.

Anyone know for sure (don't worry, I'm not bringing any talk of probability in this thread!)?

Dominae
                        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

• No, wonders definitely have an impact on tech value. Ever wondered about the AI not wanting music theory after bach is completed?

It also would explain why the AI always research astronomy before banking..

Comment

• yxhuvud, your point is well taken concerning Music Theory and Bach's. However, I've seen the AI research Banking before Astronomy on many occasions. In any case, in my (admittedly few) games played with the most recent AU mod, the civs have not showed a clear preference for Medicine over Steam Power.

Dominae

Comment

• I wonder if we should not drop that Longevity wonder entirely and solve this way the situation Medicine vs. Steam Power. It's not only useless, but counterproductive. Or perhaps we should give it another power, like making continental Aqueducts free of charge or so. That would make it actually worth to build. As it stands, I never build it, be it in the modern or industial age. Even in my French powerplay in September (played with the AU mod) I didn't build it, even though I had a big tech lead. And some unlucky AI builds it then and gains more downsides than benefits.

Comment

• Sir Ralph, some people think that Longevity is actually too good if placed at Medicine. I think changing what Longevity does is out of flavor for the AU Mod. Until someone demonstrates that it's a serious problem, I think we should keep the change as is. And, I like it.

Dominae

Comment

Working...
                                X