Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Theseus
    Suggested by grahamiam:

also, let's agree on a naming convention for the save. right now, its AU602-LA4-yearXXy.SAV

wear XX = BC or AD
    and y = a, b, c, d, e, f first person is a, second is b, etc.

however, i'm open for other naming conventions, as that's a bit long.
    My pbem naming convention is simple: I don't touch a damn thing and the game provides a foolproof name with date that always lands where it should in the next guys save list.
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

• AGREED!

Comment

• As grahamiam pointed out, the default name is easily mixed up with any other save played by anyone playing the same tribe in any game...
        Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

• Yes, some data is nice to have. You should basically enter three things in the save name:
          • The game name.
          • The name of the person the save is destined for (in case you need to post it, or you send to the wrong person).
          • The date.

The format is not that important, just keeping the vital data in there. As to naming the file, you can always use the name of an older save and just change the date. This is easy and quick enough to do. Basically, you type most of it only once.
          Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modo44
            Yes, some data is nice to have. You should basically enter three things in the save name:
            • The game name.
            • The name of the person the save is destined for (in case you need to post it, or you send to the wrong person).
            • The date.

The format is not that important, just keeping the vital data in there. As to naming the file, you can always use the name of an older save and just change the date. This is easy and quick enough to do. Basically, you type most of it only once.
            I agree... we should not be daunted by having a relatively complex standard for file names.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• Um, the FFA game is set at Regent. Whoever set it up (Vulture?)- you need to set the difficulty in the staging window before the scenario is loaded. Civ3 PBEM is chock full of 'character'...

Comment

• F*ck... well, can people live with that?

It would seem to me that the lower setting would allow for fewer MPs and other happiness measures... hmmm.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• I think playing with Regent is fine. Let's just get this course moving.

Comment

• I'm okay with it.

Comment

• I guess its ok so long as it isn't at Prince level...

Comment

• I set the scenario rules up so that Monarch was the only difficulty level allowed for any player. Does starting the scenario in PBEM completely ignore the difficulty setting in the scenario .biq? That's not good.

Comment

• BTW the map is a cross between a pangea and three continents. There are narrow land bridges between the three continents, so it is technically a pangea.

Just so no-one makes any wrong assumptions based on what has been written before.

Comment

• Originally posted by vulture
                            I set the scenario rules up so that Monarch was the only difficulty level allowed for any player. Does starting the scenario in PBEM completely ignore the difficulty setting in the scenario .biq? That's not good.
                            It does if you use a scenario (anything with a premade map). The difficulty level is automatically set to Regent. The only way I know of to change this is to edit the save (using C3MT, for example), and set both the general difficulty as well as the difficulty for every player to what you desire. I did so in a couple PBEMs, so I am pretty sure nothing else works.
                            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

• I tried a few different things setting up the Iron Civer final and the only thing that seemed to make any difference was what the dropdown box said immediately before loading the scenario, IIRC.

Comment

• With a scenario, you need to set the difficulty levels for each player individually when creating the scenario. Also, for PBEMs, you need to change the default difficulty in the multiplayer Game Setup screen. You need to do this after you load the scenario, because it reverts back to Regent if you do it in reverse order.

I've set up many games at various difficulty levels and I'm confident this works. Editing the save is not necessary.
                                And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Working...
                                X